Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my exaust changed over to a flowmaster 40 series. Sounds great. I got the system for less than 300 bucks installed. The muffler shop ordered the muffler I wanted and bent and installed new dual pipes out of the muffler. I kept the same 4" tips that came with the car. Cant say I noticed any differance in power but big differance in the sound.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Russr04 said:
Just had my exaust changed over to a flowmaster 40 series. Sounds great. I got the system for less than 300 bucks installed. The muffler shop ordered the muffler I wanted and bent and installed new dual pipes out of the muffler. I kept the same 4" tips that came with the car. Cant say I noticed any differance in power but big differance in the sound.
So tell me, just how much louder is the 40 than the stock muffler. I would like a tad more sound but I DON'T want to be blasted out of the cab and have those funny guys on black and white motorcycles following me around!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a deeper rumble sound to it and is probably louder when you get on it. It seems to be more noticable when Iam just cruising.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Exhaust

I just got back from a muffler shop. I had the Magnaflow High Performnance muffler put on my '05. They replaced the pipe from the twin Cats to the muffler. They kept the same rear pipes since they are 3" already. Sounds G R E A T . Quiet when sitting but step on the gas and they know you are comming. I have Borlas on my Audi and Flowmasters on my '64 Volvo P1800. I like the Magnaflow, it has a deeper sound.
:thumbs
:ssr

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
DetTweety said:
I just got back from a muffler shop. I had the Magnaflow High Performnance muffler put on my '05. They replaced the pipe from the twin Cats to the muffler. They kept the same rear pipes since they are 3" already. Sounds G R E A T . Quiet when sitting but step on the gas and they know you are comming. I have Borlas on my Audi and Flowmasters on my '64 Volvo P1800. I like the Magnaflow, it has a deeper sound.

I can't believe you kept the 3" tips....I love the bigger ones!
Of course mine are always dirty and hard to clean (if I was to do that sort of thing) :lol :lol
You are probably right to stay with 3's :jester

·
Registered
185 Posts
Russr04 said:

They sound great, I put 50 series on mine to be just a bit quieter. I am with you, I like the factory tips better.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did you buy the Flowmaster

DetTweety said:
muffler from the muffler shop, or did you buy it elsewhere and they just installed it for you? :confused

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just tell the muffler shop what muffler you want and they can order it. The tips are also 4" not 3" The Magnaflow comes with a 5" tip. To big for me I also like the stock tips the best. There are several differant types from flowmaster. It depends on how much of a rumble you want. You can also get a single in and single out or a single in double out. The double out 40 series has a great deep sound. :seeya

·
Registered
380 Posts
looking4_an_ssr said:
I can't believe you kept the 3" tips....I love the bigger ones!
Of course mine are always dirty and hard to clean (if I was to do that sort of thing) :lol :lol
You are probably right to stay with 3's :jester

I kept the threes just because to go bigger would not help with more power. And I rather spend my money for actual gains. Like a Superchip program and K & N filter, when they become available. Today I'm getting the plastic bed linner removed and the Rhino linner sprayed in. My truck is only a few months old and the plastic is getting all scrathed up :boxing .

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
DetTweety said:
I kept the threes just because to go bigger would not help with more power. And I rather spend my money for actual gains. Like a Superchip program and K & N filter, when they become available. Today I'm getting the plastic bed linner removed and the Rhino linner sprayed in. My truck is only a few months old and the plastic is getting all scrathed up :boxing .
I had a spray in liner on another truck...liked it a lot.
Are you gettting thatrhinoguy to do it? http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/member.php?u=1633

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have dual pipes from the cats back ( yes the SSR has 2 cats ) into an "X" pipe with a dual inlet/outlet Series 40 Magnaflow muffler. I kept my original factory tips as I think they are just the right size.

The low end & midrange are much stronger since the installation & I actually burn a little rubber in 1st & 2nd with my leg in it .

Very , very satisfied & the best $300.00 ever spent !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Magnaflow

The muffler shop quated me a price of about $148 instaleed on a large body Magnalow. I don't want anything but a "little better rumble and a touch of extra go. Why is this price less than anyone elses, i wonder?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
GUB said:
The muffler shop quated me a price of about $148 instaleed on a large body Magnalow. I don't want anything but a "little better rumble and a touch of extra go. Why is this price less than anyone elses, i wonder?
That would just be the muffler and nothing else? (Mine, Magnaflow, came with pipes and 5 inch tips)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gub my flowmaster was 151. The install was 60 for one hour. He did not charge me for the extra pipes out the back but you can expect that to cost you some extra. Still much cheaper that the kit and it will sound just as good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts