Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a foam cannon and a gas pressure washer which works very well but frankly is getting to be a pain in the butt to setup and use on a regular basis.
So I am think of getting a foam gun that I can simply attach to my garden hose to make my life easier and leave the pressure washer for power washing the deck.
Does anyone use a foam gun for cleaning their vehicle? Do they work well and make decent foam as indicated in various videos.
If so what brand of guns and what brand of soap do you use?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Yes it started getting to be a pain getting the gas power washer hooked up and started and the 50 ft. hose. I called the guy that put the ceramic on the truck and asked him. He uses an small electric. He said all you need is about 1700 # to wash a car. I have a hose end foam gun and it will put foam on the car but not as good as the power washers, I bought it to use at the rallies.. I bought a small electric washer for on the internet for $100. works great. I asked the detailer what foam gun to buy for the pressure washer, he said he has one that he gave $150 for and it is no better the $25 one he bought on e-bay. I use Chemical Guy products and am pleased with them.
Jcck

Reactions: soren703

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I use the hose version. It works great. I had one on my pressure washer but it was kind of a pain. Soap foam is soap foam.
fltsfshr

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I use the Chemical Guys foam gun, no pressure washer involved and find it easy to use. I believe Amazon has it.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,475 Posts
Can someone enlighten me and maybe others to the benefits of the foam gun? I am going to guess the theory is to load up on foam to soften and loosen the dirt and the suds pulls the dirt off to make it easier to clean the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have a foam cannon and a gas pressure washer which works very well but frankly is getting to be a pain in the butt to setup and use on a regular basis.
So I am think of getting a foam gun that I can simply attach to my garden hose to make my life easier and leave the pressure washer for power washing the deck.
Does anyone use a foam gun for cleaning their vehicle? Do they work well and make decent foam as indicated in various videos.
This is the one my Grandson just bought to use on his jacked up F150 so far he is really satisfied with it after all the rain stop and it clears for a couple of days i am going to have him bring it up and try it out on my GMC to see if I need one.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Stlhotrod, yes the purpose of a foam gun or foam cannon is to really lather the vehicle in soap to loosen the dirt. In theory a good lathery soap with a good rinse should remove the dirt well enough that you can go right to blow drying the vehicle with a decent dryer and never have to touch the paint with a wash mitt or drying cloth and thereby really reduce the risk of swirl marks.
Now that is the theory but I have never seen it work as described.
The large application of soap works very well and gives lots of lubricity for a gentle rub with a micro fiber wash mitt - which even the Chemical Guys recommend. Then a good spray with clear water to wash off the foam.
Up to now I have been using my foam cannon/pressure washer but as stated above it is a pain to set up, not to mention the fact that my pressure washer is 3000 psi and even with the 40 degree nozzle I have to stand back a fair bit so as not to apply to much pressure on the finish.
Which is why I am looking at the foam gun which attaches directly to my garden hose. Easy setup and not as much pressure applied to the finish. At the moment I am looking at the Chemical Guys Foam Blaster 6 unless is a better unit someone can recommend
I am also looking at Car Blower/Dryer to speed up the drying process and to aid in getting water out those annoying crevices and to reduce towelling to minimize scratches.
The Dewalt unit listed above is interesting if you don't have a pressure washer and you expose your vehicle to extreme dirt/mud conditions. That is definitely not the case with my SSR.
In my case for less than half the cost of the Dewalt unit I can buy both the foam gun and the blower/dryer.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,475 Posts
Thank you for the details. May look into one but for now the old dry wall bucket and wash mitt will have to do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got my foam gun from the auto geeks about 6 years ago and am very happy with it.I use Meguires gold carwash

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Crspotless.com
To rinse

I use cherry suds commercial soap
5 gallon pail from ebay

with the spotless rinse , no towel dry required

any low psi soap gun works

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,058 Posts
Not for me! My R is a convertible, pressure can get water inside.

Door latch/lock module is subject to water damage and they don't make NEW ones anymore. I Repair them all the time. Also windshield wiper well on passengers side. Be sure there no leaves or debris in well.

Rubber seals, I rub down twice a yr with Silicone grease to keep them supple and avoid cracking.

My R has never been thru car wash.

I use Zaino a polymer finish. Time consuming first time but easy after, just add detail spray after HAND wash.

NO SOAP!

Mine is only 17yrs old with 148,000 miles.

Dicktator

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts