Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a magazine I read while waiting for my oil change I came across this surprising statistic, for every 10 automotive service technicians that retire, there are only two new ones.

They also mentioned that the average age is getting close to 50.

This certainly explains the problems people have with service. But does anyone have any insights into why this is happening?

·
Premium Member
31,279 Posts
Simple answer

It's all about the $

Everyone wants to be paid top dollar for lack luster work.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
dougnc said:
In a magazine I read while waiting for my oil change I came across this surprising statistic, for every 10 automotive service technicians that retire, there are only two new ones.

They also mentioned that the average age is getting close to 50.

This certainly explains the problems people have with service. But does anyone have any insights into why this is happening?
YAHHHH The pay scale and benifets for new hires

Paul :ssr

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ssr71 said:
It's all about the $

Everyone wants to be paid top dollar for lack luster work.
Well, people also want to be paid enough to live comfortably. With houses at 300,000, any job where your salary isn't going to be 6 figures one day isn't going to have any appeal.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Working on cars was fun at one time. Now you have to be a contortionist with great nerves to put up with the tight designs under the hood. Pull half the car apart to change plugs.

·
Premium Member
31,279 Posts
dougnc said:
Well, people also want to be paid enough to live comfortably. With houses at 300,000, any job where your salary isn't going to be 6 figures one day isn't going to have any appeal.
I know what you mean. Once many moons ago, I was glad at the prospect of earning $34k/yr. Back when I graduated from college, that was a decent starting salary. Now, it's practically in the poverty range.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Tiny Tech

REBEL said:
Working on cars was fun at one time. Now you have to be a contortionist with great nerves to put up with the tight designs under the hood. Pull half the car apart to change plugs.

:agree Hubby calls me his Tiny Tech cause I can get my little hands in tight spots that he can't.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ssr71 said:
I know what you mean. Once many moons ago, I was glad at the prospect of earning $34k/yr. Back when I graduated from college, that was a decent starting salary. Now, it's practically in the poverty range.
That's a bit over 2 grand a month take home. If you budget a grand for shelter, 500 for a car, then you're left with 125 to cover groceries and everything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts