Chevy SSR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LKMURKY
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all, I hit a chunk of cement in the road today and fractured two rims, both on the driver's side. I'm in SC. I can drive somewhere half a day maybe, Florida to Georgia, Alabama, NC Virginia maybe. I'm paying this out of pocket at this point, it is a good bet I'm buying a half a set of new tires too.
:frown2:I'm not really interested in discussing the really bad morning that got me in this fix,:frown2: But I sure could use a pair of Chrome Rims in a bad way.
Thanks.
Cary in South Carolina

·
Retired U S Air Force
49 Posts
I had the SAME issue and didnt know it till I took my R to my tire people. PLEASE call me anytime and I can tell you what to do.. Jim 813 410 4667

OR call TIRE CHOICE Valrico, Fl 813 651 9585.. talk to Fernando Quinones.. HE got my Chrome rims REPAIRED. I didnt even KNOW that could be done.. NOW you AINT in Florida but he does KNOW what needs done and can advise you as to WHERE. A GOOD tire and wheel shop SHOULD be able to ROUND OUT the hurt rims..

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Check around at your custom wheel shops. Bent wheels can be straightened even crackers can be welded. I've had one straightened and HAD2HVT, had a bent wheel straightened and welded on his GMC.

·
Retired U S Air Force
49 Posts
Check around at your custom wheel shops. Bent wheels can be straightened even crackers can be welded. I've had one straightened and HAD2HVT, had a bent wheel straightened and welded on his GMC.

YEP I bet that would do it.......................

·
Premium Member
29,872 Posts
I don't think anyone will touch a chromed wheel if it's cracked. The SSR wheel is fully chromed inside and out, not just the face. You would have to strip the chrome first - and it would likely further damage the wheel anyway. Just not worth it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-CHROME-20-Chevrolet-Chevy-SSR-OEM-FACTORY-RIM-REAR-WHEEL-5168/183670695170?epid=1628983121&hash=item2ac3a06502:g:g8kAAOSwYTtcWMJr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFECT-New-CHROME-Genuine-GM-OEM-Factory-Chevrolet-Chevy-SSR-20-REAR-WHEEL-5168/173370475864?epid=1628983121&hash=item285daf8558:g:qPwAAOSwYaFWfTI9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFECT-New-CHROME-GM-OEM-Factory-Chevrolet-Chevy-SSR-19-Inch-FRONT-WHEEL-5166/173723698603?epid=1029810526&hash=item2872bd45ab:g:qPwAAOSwYaFWfTI9

I didn't find any more listings, but they are out there. But wow are the prices are going up! A few years ago, I bought a complete set of satin wheels with center caps for 1300.

But.... I dont see that you should be swallowing the full cost for this. This would fall under comprehensive coverage on your insurance. It shouldn't count against you like a collision. Then you'd only be out the deductible - assuming it's not astronomically high.

·
LKMURKY
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the rims are not just bent. Chunks missing. Damn shame, they were flawless. I'm pretty sure they are not in any way repairable. Coffee table, maybe? Yard art? I really have not seen them in the daylight yet, that's my morning surprise. I don't know what I hit in the dark at 40 MPH, except there was concrete rubble in the approximate area where I thought I had the blowouts when I came back later. Wasn't walking out in the dark in the morning commuter traffic to see if I could break something far worse than some wheels.
I will call Phil if I can't find wheels from some of the fanatics. I've seen his work and it is very good.
Adjuster is coming today or Wednesday.
More to come.
Cary
Sad:yellow: in a permanent left turn.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
If you are unable to find suitable chrome rims I wouldn’t dismiss the idea of getting satin rims, if available, and then have a reputable chrome shop (like Wheel Concepts) strip and chrome them for you.

·
BlueStreak
26,582 Posts
Thread Closed as requested.
If that was not a request to close this thread let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
BlueStreak
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing