Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any diagrams of how to remove the front bumper support bracket GM# 15129931? That's the black support for the spear itself. Mine's broken in half, vertically just left of the center. I hope a diagram will show me what size and shape of rivets, nuts, bolts, etc. I'll need so I can do all the work without any trips out for parts.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Spear Support Bar

This piece is attached to the black "honeycomb" section of the grille assembly using several (three or four) single-use plastic rivets. You can replace these using commonly available push pins for reattachment. However, if the support piece is still intact with only a crack and no missing pieces, a suggested solution would be to repair it in place using an epoxy. You could open up the crack to a wider "V" configuration using a Dremel tool to give the epoxy some bite into the cracked sections and fill the broken area. I've done this repair without disassembling or separating the support bar from the lower grille assembly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are describing a different part. This support bracket is what the spear clips into. The crack is wide enough (see photo) that the two screw holes on top of the spear do not align with the support holes. I can see 10 rivets and 4 screws, or bolts, and the bracket ends go down and behind the bumper cover. I can't see how it's connected.

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
#12 on the diagram? That looks like a whole lot of disassembly required. Maybe a strap with two holes the right distance apart to hold that brace while you repair it?

Attachments

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Spear Support Bar

You are describing a different part. This support bracket is what the spear clips into. The crack is wide enough (see photo) that the two screw holes on top of the spear do not align with the support holes. I can see 10 rivets and 4 screws, or bolts, and the bracket ends go down and behind the bumper cover. I can't see how it's connected.
We are referring to the same part. My error on the number of single-use plastic rivets that attach this piece to the honeycomb; there are at least eight, not four. Four near the center are shown in your photo. The crack shown is similar to one that I repaired. As Bruce suggests, you will need to use a temporary support to align the pieces before attempting a repair in place (and you will likely have to loosen any fasteners to allow repositioning).

I have not attempted removal of the spear support bar without removing the front fascia/honeycomb as an assembly so cannot comment on whether or not this can be done. For sure the splash shield around the hood latch will need to be removed to give that a try. The service manual only addresses removal of the honeycomb grille and spear support bar as a unit after removing the front fascia.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd still like a schematic drawing if there's one out there. The plastic rivets you describe on my truck are aluminum pop rivets, and there are 10 that I can see. I didn't pay attention to see if they all were in the honeycomb. I can drill one of them out to determine the correct size but would still like to know before I start as to how the fascia (Item 1 in the xoxoxobruce supplied drawing) is installed.

Maybe someone can send me a link for a drawing. The only one I've found is the one xoxoxobruce found.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Front Fascia Removal

I'd still like a schematic drawing if there's one out there. The plastic rivets you describe on my truck are aluminum pop rivets, and there are 10 that I can see. I didn't pay attention to see if they all were in the honeycomb. I can drill one of them out to determine the correct size but would still like to know before I start as to how the fascia (Item 1 in the xoxoxobruce supplied drawing) is installed.

Maybe someone can send me a link for a drawing. The only one I've found is the one xoxoxobruce found.
PM/instructions sent.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have the grill section and support out and it has been a while sense I looked at it but I do remember there is two sided tape on it holding part of the grill assembly to the bumper cover. I maybe able to pull it out and take a picture and text it to you later this evening

1 - 8 of 8 Posts