Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member, new ssr owner for a few weeks. I love the look of the vehicle... from the fenders back but hate the front. Anyway I'm thinking I'm going to mold a different front bumper onto mine and looking for opinions. I think a modern take would look good and I like the look of the newest Camaro. I did a quick mock-up but what other front bumers do you think would look good? Planning on using a fiberglass body kit bumper since it'll be easier to mold in.

Attachments

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
Hi, new member, new ssr owner for a few weeks.....
Hello @Homer4evr and welcome to the SSR Forum from Middle Georgia and Congrats on your new purchase.

I'm sure you're going to generate lots of discussion on this thread; both with owners commenting on your idea for a front bumper cover and those that just want to say Hi and welcome you.

Is your plan to design and start mass producing these bumper covers, or is this just an idea you have for your SSR??

Btw, let us know where you're from...you may have some owners right around the corner!! :grin2:
Best way to do that is to click on User CP and Edit your Profile. :wink2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried to edit my profile but I keep getting a error saying I'm not allowed. I'm only making one, just for my vehicle. Located just outside Joliet IL.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,720 Posts
I've tried to edit my profile but I keep getting a error saying I'm not allowed. I'm only making one, just for my vehicle. Located just outside Joliet IL.
Joliet, IL...nice little town, I used to pass through it a lot in the 90's going from OKC to Chicago (to see in-laws). I'm pretty sure you have a lot of folks that live around that area; maybe @rogerdoger can tell you more about who lives nearby!?

Nice idea to create a different bumper cover...are you going to include the fog lights back into your plan?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Have you looked at some of the front spoilers and see if maybe adding one of them might get it closer to what you are looking for? I would think that with the way the front of the trucks are it would be quite the undertaking to do a new front on them. The front bumper covers wraps around and is part of the fenders and the head lights are part of it as well. Quite the under taking. But I am in to see what you come up with.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,393 Posts
Homer4evr, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! Here is one way to do your Profile---go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.
Lots of luck on your BIG TASK!!! will be interesting to follow. Be sure to post pictures as you go.

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Homer4evr, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! Here is one way to do your Profile---go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.
Lots of luck on your BIG TASK!!! will be interesting to follow. Be sure to post pictures as you go.

Nick & Kathy
That's what I did but it takes me to a warning page that says I can not do this and possible reasons why. I just joined so maybe that's why. I'll try again after 24 hours.

I have been interested in these trucks for years but have always been put off by the front end. I was looking into the one kit that's available from mpd but at that price point I can make something I like much better and a fraction of the cost. Although I do like the side skirts. This is all still up in the air. I just ordered suspension, radio, sub, LEDs, already did the exhaust, and plan on doing some kind of custom paint or wrap but I've already spent more than my wife knows about and this was only supposed to be my drive to work vehicle. I had originally planned on buying a Polaris slingshot but she didn't like it and would never drive it so one day driving past a dealer we seen this and an hour later we were driving it home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a cow catcher on the front of a train engine.....

let me be the first to call it----this is an April fools joke, right?
Nope, plan on doing something different. The stock bumper is boring to say the very least. I always enjoy joining new forums when I get something new to see what everyone else is doing with their vehicles and I ALWAYS come across someone like you, quick to put someone or something down because it isn't what you like. I'm absolutely fine with that. I'm not building something for you, nor am I looking for your approval. I came here looking for other creative ideas the way forums like this are supposed to work.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Nope, plan on doing something different. The stock bumper is boring to say the very least. I always enjoy joining new forums when I get something new to see what everyone else is doing with their vehicles and I ALWAYS come across someone like you, quick to put someone or something down because it isn't what you like. I'm absolutely fine with that. I'm not building something for you, nor am I looking for your approval. I came here looking for other creative ideas the way forums like this are supposed to work.
That's the beauty of customizing. In the end it's all about what blows YOUR skirt up.
Here's a creative idea, not sure if you've seen. some will like some won't. Oh well as long as owner likes.

https://youtu.be/qoAitXo5u-8

·
Premium Member
35,777 Posts
Welcome from Canada! :cheers

Congrats on your new SSR :silver: :thumbs

enjoy the permagrin!

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Please excuse.........

99.5% of the posts on this Forum are positive. I am sorry that you picked up a negative on your first post. This not who we are on this forum. We all have different ideas, and what makes this forum so different from others on the internet is we generally keep such things to ourselves if we don't 100% agree.

I have heard of the Fanatics referred to as a "Family". And as with other "families" there are usually one who likes to stand out for the wrong reasons.

I hope you enjoy being part of the family and am looking forward to your posts as your truck progresses to "your Tastes".

Jack

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,393 Posts
I had originally planned on buying a Polaris slingshot but she didn't like it and would never drive it so one day driving past a dealer we seen this and an hour later we were driving it home.
HA! aren't wives Great!!??? Caution, I let Kathy drive my '06 home from a Car Show once and she said "Big Mistake" Now she has her :purple:!!

Again, good luck on your project. Don't worry about Negative comments. Everyone has an opinion and we know about those!!

Nick

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,066 Posts
A big hearty welcome from sunny Sturgis South Dakota!!!

First of all go for it if that is what you want to do. Don't know if you have checked out any of the front ends that are already available. Might be easier and cheaper in the long run. Another thing to think about is over all styling. GM was going for the 49 to 53 vintage look when they designed it with the running boards and frontal look etc. Maybe the finished product will look a little more stream lined. Kind of looks boxey and to much modern front end for me. The other thing to think about if you only plan to keep it a few years what will the next guy think or like. Will it kill the re-sale later. Trying not to be too negative here. If you have thought all this through go for it. Does look pretty cool. Good luck.

Reactions: S2NAZ

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,562 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!! :00000732:

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
99.5% of the posts on this Forum are positive. I am sorry that you picked up a negative on your first post. This not who we are on this forum. We all have different ideas, and what makes this forum so different from others on the internet is we generally keep such things to ourselves if we don't 100% agree.
Jack I generally agree with the theme post your post however I can't subscribe to mom's admonition, "If you don't have something nice to say..."
I see nothing wrong with honestly expressing a different or even opposing opinion. HOWEVER, that said, you don't have to be a jerkoff doing it.
There is no reason to insult, belittle, or ridicule anyone, or their vision... ever.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,438 Posts
I agree the front bumper is an eye sore but it probably goes with the SSR better then any other bumper out there I've seen as the truck is extremely bulbous and round and most bumpers are not and it just doesn't seem to match the truck.

That said I do wish you well on your endeavor and keep in mind the front bumper is just flimsy plastic and not very well supported underneath so you may have a hard time mounting something directly to it as I'm not sure it will hold the weight or when you hit bumps it may damage the mounts on the original bumper.

I do like the front lip many have on from Eric as it flows very well with the R and bumper.

Good luck with it.

Josh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts