Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a vibration that shakes the front end. You can really feel it over 60 mph but it does do it all the time but less noticable at lower speeds of course. The vibration comes in waves so to speak. It vibrates about 4-5 times in about 3-5 seconds and then stops for about 3-5 seconds and then starts again. On and off especially annoying at highway speeds.

So far the SSR has been at the dealer 3 times and they have chnaged all 4 tires, and balanced them 3 times, did an alignment and even changed out the driveshaft. I still have the vibration. What is your opinion on the cause of the vibration? The only thing I can think of is a bad rotor, possibly. The dealer will not go any further without an area rep. looking at it!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I call the 800 service number to complain again to them that the problem has not been fixed.

Thanks Wally

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Loose hubcap.... :lol
Sorry wish I could help, but I know nothing.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Have the dealer check the machining on the driveshaft YOKE (separate from the driveshaft). It can cause vibration if you got one of the few that got out without proper finish machining (like I did).

If you happen to see any signs of transmission fluid leakage out of the tailshaft assembly, that is another confirmation.

Jim G

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,073 Posts
What you described is not a single vibration, but a combination of a couple vibration frequencies. Each one is probably acceptable, but when combined with another, you get the resultant of the two. Could even be three.... Hard to say without an analyzer.

Next time you have the vibration, do a little isolation for the dealer.

Set the cruise when you have the vibration and then shift from "D" to "3". This will change the engine and transmission input to the harmonics you are experiencing. If the harmonic persists, the engine and tranny are NOT in the mix. If the harmonic ceases, one of them IS in the mix. This is not saying that the engine or tranny is the source, just that it is one of the frequency inputs that are in the mix that results in your vibration that comes in waves

Did this suddenly show up, or has it been there all along?

Don't give up yet......

Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a little more

This has been happening from about 300 miles on the SSR. Drove it back from the dealer (over 350 miles) and it was there on the trip. Instead of going back to that dealer I took it home and went to the local dealer.

The driveshaft was replaced with the latest one about 3 weeks ago. Since the vibration has not changed since the new one was installed, I figure that removes the driveshaft from the equation.

I heard of another SSR owner that had the rotors and calipers changed out but not knowing the exact reason for it. Thought someone here would or might have some inkling of a cause.

Did I mention that all 4 tires have been replaced also? The wave of vibration is constant, 2-4 seconds vibrating and then 2-4 seconds flat with no vibration.

I will try the downshifting to 3rd gear tomorrow and even take off the hub caps. I'll go the whole 10 yds to get this fixed!
Thanks for all the help.

Wally

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Only one word, tires. It seems like you can't get a decent set of tires any more.

It's not enough to simply balance a wheel if the tire isn't round or it has a bulge or the tread is thicker in one place.

·
Registered
500 Posts
good vibrations

Tires are the most obvious.Thats' alot of rubber slinging around!That bad of a vibe should show up on the tire machine but if you have a cracked wheel, it won't nessessarily show up..A real tight wheel bearing could do the job too.Keep at it, you'll find it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Take it to a good tire and front end shop..Not one of these little tire stores and have them trued. Ask you dealer to take care of it first and most likely they will tell you who to take it to and foot the bill. Mine is smoooottttthhhhh.

·
Registered
158 Posts
similar vibrations

Wallygator,
The vibrations you're describing are very similar to the ones I've been experiencing since April when I bought mine. Tires have been rebalanced and found to be off, then a new set of tires now made it worse, and I've become that annoying customer to my dealer. He's know trying to get a GM and a Goodyear rep out to check things over.

The suggestions about the trans/driveshaft I'll have to give a try today.

good luck and thanks to everyone else for your suggestions on what to check out! :thumbs

kroozn.....................................the blvd

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
wallygator said:
This has been happening from about 300 miles on the SSR. Drove it back from the dealer (over 350 miles) and it was there on the trip. Instead of going back to that dealer I took it home and went to the local dealer.

The driveshaft was replaced with the latest one about 3 weeks ago. Since the vibration has not changed since the new one was installed, I figure that removes the driveshaft from the equation.

I heard of another SSR owner that had the rotors and calipers changed out but not knowing the exact reason for it. Thought someone here would or might have some inkling of a cause.

Did I mention that all 4 tires have been replaced also? The wave of vibration is constant, 2-4 seconds vibrating and then 2-4 seconds flat with no vibration.

I will try the downshifting to 3rd gear tomorrow and even take off the hub caps. I'll go the whole 10 yds to get this fixed!
Thanks for all the help.

Wally
Don't take off the hubcaps....I was just being funny :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right!

You didn't think I fell for that one did you! BTW they were never on in the first place so putting them back on is a no-brainer.

Wally

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
My new 05 had problems with the front end shaking a bit. The dealership replaced one tire (because I found tire plug in it). They balanced the new tire. I drove to the freeway and OMG it was really out of balance.

A tire shop across of the street rebalanced that tire and it was much better, but they found my other front tire to be out-of-round. The dealership replaced that tire and "balanced" the tire. I took it on the freeway again and OMG it was shaking worse than before.

I when straight to a "America's Tire Company" store in Folsom, CA. They have a Hunter 9700 balancer with "road force balancing capability". When they finished my 05 SSR was SMOOOOOTHHHH.

The amount of road force produced by the position of your tire on the rim and the amount of weight it took to "balance" the tire on the rim in that position all play into the issue.

It took about one hour to get the road force balancing performed on my SSR's wheels, but it was certainly worth it.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
shiftz33 said:
My new 05 had problems with the front end shaking a bit. The dealership replaced one tire (because I found tire plug in it). They balanced the new tire. I drove to the freeway and OMG it was really out of balance.

A tire shop across of the street rebalanced that tire and it was much better, but they found my other front tire to be out-of-round. The dealership replaced that tire and "balanced" the tire. I took it on the freeway again and OMG it was shaking worse than before.

I when straight to a "America's Tire Company" store in Folsom, CA. They have a Hunter 9700 balancer with "road force balancing capability". When they finished my 05 SSR was SMOOOOOTHHHH.

The amount of road force produced by the position of your tire on the rim and the amount of weight it took to "balance" the tire on the rim in that position all play into the issue.

It took about one hour to get the road force balancing performed on my SSR's wheels, but it was certainly worth it.
So other than the tires, how is the new SSR holding up for you?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vibration update

I will try to see if there is anyone in town with the road force machine to try to balance the tires again. I think it is coming from the left front, but not totally sure. I did have another tire shop balance the wheels other than the dealer and it made no difference at all. I may ask my friend to change tires with me on his SSR this weekend and see if that will make a difference. If nothing else, I will have more ammo for the area rep.

Wally

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
wallygator said:
I will try to see if there is anyone in town with the road force machine to try to balance the tires again. I think it is coming from the left front, but not totally sure. I did have another tire shop balance the wheels other than the dealer and it made no difference at all. I may ask my friend to change tires with me on his SSR this weekend and see if that will make a difference. If nothing else, I will have more ammo for the area rep.

Wally

Why not have them trued and be done with it?

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
So other than the tires, how is the new SSR holding up for you?
My driveline has a "whine" noise. The "tink" noise just showed up over the weekend. The dealership agreed to order the updated driveshaft since the GM tech document from 7/2005 stated the updated driveshaft was released to address a "driveline whine concern" as well as the "tink" noise. It will be installed this friday.

They also stated the 05 driver's side door panel arrived as well. I'll have that installed as well on Friday.

My 05 engine has a some "piston slap" when cold (told this was 'normal' and will not hurt the engine). My roof is starting to make a knock noise on the passenger side over the right kind of bumps.

I have about 1200 miles on my 05 SSR now and overall it's ok. Not exactly what $40K+ dollars should get but not nearly as bad as my 03 SSR.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I have had the roof knock a few times but usually it is a bone jarring bump. Probably normal as to the type of build. Let us know about the drive shaft. Still waiting for the true fix for no tink!!

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
I lost the tink 10,000 miles ago with driveshaft design number 3, but still have the "ringing".

Jim G

Jim after the first time you heard the tink. How long after that did you take yours in? I've been hearing it for about a month or so. At LCC they said not to bring in in until it gets really bad. If your on your third then I'm getting concernd.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I took mine in for the tink only after a mechanic said (erroneously) "Your u-joints are shot. That noise tells me that".

Mileage does make it a bit worse, as eventually you will hear it during gear shifts as well as when putting it into gear.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 22 Posts