Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to proceed with swapping out my fog lites, I need to raise the front end. I have a floor jack, but want to be sure if what I'm seeing under the front end is "OK" as a spot to lift the truck front end.

I'm seeing this black painted plate.......which I presume is the Simple Engineering front frame stiffening plate. It goes from the inner end of each A arm and appears to be heavy duty........however, near the center (back) of that plate, is about a foot long (wedge shaped piece) and it is bolted to the plate.

Not sure what that piece does, but I'm thinking it would not handle the weight of the truck without getting flattened out of shape. My target lift point which I'm hoping one of you with this piece can affirm would be to place the jack pad just forward of that wedge piece.

Appreciate some feedback, I did try to leave a phone msg with Mike, but not sure when he might get the msg.:|

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
You would be best to place the jack under lower control arm or just rear of the front wheel on the frame in my opinion.

Rope

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Air Deflector.

That piece is an air deflector and will bend. It is not recommended to use the stiffing plate for lifting because it is slick and the jack could move causing the truck to drop.
There have been a couple of cases where someone tried and the jack slipped. No damage but an eye opener. Attached is recommend jack points. Click picture to enlarge.

Jack

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,878 Posts
Awhile back some one jacked their SSR up using the front brace and it slipped and took out the radiator and a few other things. I always use the frame rails that run front to back and jack on the sides and use jack stands. First do one side and then the other and also leave the jack engaged also. Someone else might chime in here. Good luck.

Reactions: Garys05SSR

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Jacking anywhere near the front center of the truck is not a good idea. Slippage and rad damage have happened. Jerry took out his rad when his slipped off the stiffening plate.

My truck spends each winter in the air with the wheels off. I have never jacked it anywhere except the side frame rails, have it resting on heavy duty jackstands.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies, I did hear back from Mike too. Looks like I made a good call to check with you guys. It was clear to me that the plate looked pretty slick/slilppery with that curved front edge.

I'll just jack under the inner A arm and frame rail and do one side at a time using jack stands as well.:|

1 - 8 of 8 Posts