Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the splined front hubs too. (mentioned in an earlier post, which I could not search out)

Using google I found only one on topic page. Here is the relevant quote:

The also saves weight with a new oil pan design. Due to the lower, shorter design of the SSR, the new "pan-axle" design allows the front differential to pass through the oil pan, resulting in weight savings, while optimizing the use of under-hood space. (Note: this paragraph was taken from a GM press release on the SSR, but GM may have used it by accident since there will reportedly be no all wheel drive SSR).

Has any body seen the reported press release?

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Oil Pan Design

Yes, you are correct. I have a printed copy of the same press release stating" that it allows the front differential to pass through the oil pan, resulting in weight savings, while optimizing the use of under-hood space"

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
The 5.3 engine/transmission and frame are the same as the Trailblazer EXT (frame shortened 13") which is available in a 4WD version.

Wouldn't be the first error by GM - the GM site used by insurance companies checking rates still lists the SSR as an S10 Blazer SSR.

There has been talk of an all wheel drive in the works - it will be interesting to see how they work out the logistics of an all wheel drive with a 2 1/2" difference in tire diameter. I would assume it would have to be a 5.3 AWD - unless I'm way off base, the 6 liter engine is not set up to handle 4WD.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
So are you saying that by that listing the insurance companies should be charging a lower insurance rate? Our insurance company said it is the highest rating just like the vet... we expected it to be rated like a truck.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Mine rates it as a truck also which was good news to me because insurance on one corvette is enuff

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
rates

My insurance company says....... (if you remember the E.F Hutton commercials this would be funny).

I pay $400 a year for a 2000 Ranger, $600 a year for a 2001 Z28 and $500 a year for the SSR. So it's in between a truck and a sports car!!! :lol

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
I don't know what insurance company you have but mine go's by the id number and it shows as a S10 pickup.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Insurance Rates

This is note is to you folks that think you have a great rate because your insurance company thinks you have an S10 and charges you accordingly. I had this "problem" and had a major hassle getting it resolved. At first the low rate seemed like a bargain. After I informed them they had made an error, they had no way to rectify it except to insure my SSR as a "collector car" under a special low mileage and high deductable program. This was okay for me, since mine is not a daily driver. (I haven't even had to put a water hose to it since taking delivery before Thanksgiving Day. Just 2300+ miles so far.)

The S10 problem is this: When you total your ride in a wreck, or some low life here in CA decides he wants it more than you do, steals it, and it is never seen again, how much money is the insurance company going to reimburse you? Probably the value of a used S10, a small fraction of the SSR's value. This scared me and my agent so bad that he insisted that I park it (over 2 weeks) until he could straighten out the mess.

So beware! Here especially, honesty is the best policy! ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Insurance Rates Revisited

My 6 month rates before correction:

2000 Lexus RX 300, $353; 2003 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Extended cab, $433; 2003 "S10 SSR", $284 (exactly the same coverage). The original symbols were 17, 16, and 14 respectively. These symbols represent the corresponding replacement values of the vehicles. Needless to say, the 14 is not commensurate with the true value of the SSR. By paying for this policy, I am legally agreeing that rate group 14 represents the value of my SSR, and I have no beef about this reimbursement value. Even if could get true value back, who wants the trouble?

This is why I called this screw up to their attention. (Liability $250,000/300,000; property damage $100,000; comprehensive $500 deductable; collision $1,000 deductable.) After the "fix", the SSR costs me about $400/6 mo. as a collector car, max mileage allowed 7,500/year.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Ok I guess you all have good points. Not that it is killing me to pay the cost of insurance, so I will stop bitching. I don't know if I can only put 7500 miles a year either. LOL to fun to drive planning a trip to St.Louis in June. Going through Okla. Should be a blast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts