Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer last nite. The front licence plate holder looks like (is) a GM after thought!!!!

Has anyone installed a frot licence plate? How is it installed. How does it look?

Does anyone live in a state that requires a front licence plate, but has decided not to install the licence plate?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The instructions are in the bag with the front plate holder. HOLES must be drilled into the beautiful grille!

O

·
0 Posts
Bill Bogert said:
I was at the dealer last nite. The front licence plate holder looks like (is) a GM after thought!!!!

Has anyone installed a frot licence plate? How is it installed. How does it look?

Does anyone live in a state that requires a front licence plate, but has decided not to install the licence plate?
The front plate holder is cheesy. We took ours off, which looks mush better!!!
We live in New York where it is "required" but have not had any problems yet :thumbs .

Looking around alot of sports cars and customs doe not have them on the car. Keep your open in your area to see what the vettes are doing. It may be a little tougher this time of year with people putting thier babies to bed for the winter.

Good luck

R

·
0 Posts
Here in Illinois the front plate is required. When we bought our '03 it wasn't installed so they ordered one for us. We were going to have it painted red to match the truck but before we got that done we got stopped...for not having the front plate on. Luckily we had the plate and bracket in the back and had to show them to the officer. He gave us a 'compliance ticket' where we had 4 days to install the bracket and front plate and then show them it was done and the ticket would be shredded. So, that's what we did. When we traded the '03 in on the '05 the bracket was already in place...but, I still think it would be better if it was painted to match the truck. Actually, once it's on there you get used to it and it isn't so bad. I just wish I could find a clear cover to work with the front bracket.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Front Plate

Must be a nice peaceful place you live in if all the Police have to do is pull people over for a front plate they must really be bored. :rant

·
Registered
395 Posts
Front Plate

DON'T PUT IT ON but if you do have to
:nono you need to find a way to secure the bracket to the grille without drilling holes through the cross bar.
I'm in Minnesota and we are supposed to have front plates but here to you see lots of sport jobs w/o the front plate

M

·
0 Posts
Mine came with a stupid front license plate holder already mounted. I hated it. The dealership I purchased my SSR from had bought it from another dealership back east. The dealership back east had already put the plate holder on the truck. All the other SSR's my dealership had on the lot did not have the plate holder on. I wanted black, not yellow or red. I have four holes in my sweet grille. Good thing mine is black and you can't see them very well. We are also required to have a front plate here in California. I do not have a plate on and will not put one on either. Have not had any problems in the 10 months I have had my SSR. I have made the comment to my dealership to never put front plate holders on any future SSR.

J

·
0 Posts
I live in California where a front plate is required, however I have never put one on any of my nice cars, including my SSR. I do keep the plate in the car with me in case I get pulled over. I don't think I've heard of anyone getting pulled over just for the front plate, but I do know that people pulled over for other infractions have been ticketed for no front plate as a result of being stopped for something else. I suspect if there is no other reason to pull you over, you will be left alone. :angel

·
Registered
349 Posts
Front Plate

I bought my '03 in Corona, CA while I lived there til this past August. I never put the front plate on, but, like others have mentioned, I kept it in the car. The cops never bothered me about the plate. Most of them are decent enough to realize that it's just not needed on this type of vehicle.

Before I moved to Arizona (a one-plate state), I almost installed a neat rig to hold the front plate that is retractable. I saw this somewhere on the web in a hot rod site. It would fit in the area where the tinted plastic gravel screen is under the bumper. It had a remote control on it that could be operated from inside. It was originally designed for custom hot rods, so you could leave it in the "up" position until a cop pulled you over. Before you stop for the officer, you just push a button and it extends in full sight, although on our SSR's it would be a little hidden underneath. It seems like it was a little over $100. A Google search for "retractable license plate holder" will find it. :thumbs

·
Registered
110 Posts
I installed my plate up underneath the front end. Its up high enough to not get crunched, and down low enough to satisfy statue requirements.

It's attached to the same crossmember where the plastic airdam is attached. In fact, I used the same mountig holes the airdam used so I would not have to drill any holes in the ssr. I did have to drill holes in the license plate though.

Will post a pic if people want to see how it is installed.

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Front Plates

A friend of mine who has a 04 SSR did the same thing to his front plate as gunther did with his. You can hardly notice it is there and it really doesn't take away any of the front end looks.

I have a front plate on my SSR and at first I was upset with the dealer for installing it on there. However, I have gotten used to seeing it there now, and perhaps it is easier to cope with now because of the special plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bill Bogert said:

Ohio requires a front plate, but I never put mine on, because I didn't want to drill holes in the grille bars.
I carry the plate and frame in the bed in a large zip lock bag.
If I get stopped, I will show it.
JJL

·
Registered
29 Posts
You might try contacting Bob Goetz at Real Rod. He makes front plate mount for the Prowler and maybe he can make one for you, that way no holes are drilled in the front. 1-952-873-6626.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I woould definately like to see a Pic!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts