Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I've noticed that many SSR's don't display a front plate> My state requires one so I need a front place bracket. Does any one have one?

·
Tech Support/Research
1,681 Posts
License Plate Holder

I have an OEM factory style front plate holder available. It does require drilling holes in the front fascia. Aftermarket styles are available that bolt under the front of the truck that do not require drilling the fascia. Those two choices are available to you.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
No drill zone.

Check with Mike at Simple-Engineering.com

I put his on. It is an excellent product, the plate is removable and you don't drill holes.

Dave

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,355 Posts
TBarker, Texas requires a front plate but, a lot of us don't put them on. Luckily I have not had a problem! ALSO__Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FORUMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", "New Member section" and introduce Yourself!!

Good to see you'er a "Supporting Member"
Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Missouri also requires them but I have not had the bracket or front plate on either one of my trucks. My son has a new Camaro and he has driven it for a couple of years with out one on his car either and never been pulled over for it yet. I think it also helps when you can show that there is no place for the front plate, and are polite about it if asked about it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Mike's front plate holder [now] also ties [BOLTS] into the plastic fascia and firms [up] that rubber part. Almost worth the cost for just that. 3 Allen bolts holds the [small] part of the system [that] the plate fits too. Easy/pesy to remove for shows and well worth the chance of a $50/$75 dollar ticket for no plate. If you have holes already drilled into the fascia / well / a factory holder will do/ BUT / with no holes drilled, the under the car holder is a no brainier. It keeps the car looking as the designer's intended it to look. Just my 2-cents worth & of course I have one. Also get the metal radiator support at the same time as they use [2] of the same bolts & might as well do at the same time? See Dictator road kill on the plastic support.....where the AC condenser & radiator both had to be replaced.

Birdmans

·
Spirited driver!
1,523 Posts
All, the Sto-n-sho quick release front plate bracket is now available from Big Mike's Performance for $95. I know that it works as I have the prototype installed on my truck currently. It is a bracket that mounts to your radiator support (stock or upgraded) and the plate is on extended posts that slide into the bracket. Very slick and secure setup and you can put on or remove the plate in seconds. Plate does not touch front of truck. It will not work if you have Mike's auxiliary extra fan that mounts in front of the road support.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I have an aftermarket license plate holder that is like Mikes for sale, asking $100 plus shipping!

I don't need it now that I am in Florida which only has the rear plate!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
All, the Sto-n-sho quick release front plate bracket is now available from Big Mike's Performance for $95. I know that it works as I have the prototype installed on my truck currently. It is a bracket that mounts to your radiator support (stock or upgraded) and the plate is on extended posts that slide into the bracket. Very slick and secure setup and you can put on or remove the plate in seconds. Plate does not touch front of truck. It will not work if you have Mike's auxiliary extra fan that mounts in front of the road support.
simple engendering plate holder is made specifically for the Chevy SSR roadster. 2003 to 2006. Good parts are not cheap & cheap parts are not good.

Birdmans

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I carry my front plate In the compartment on the underside of the back lid. If I get stopped I may or may not get away with It telling the officer that Im on my way to the Chevy dealer to have It put on. That may not go well, If Im stopped at the top of pikes peak??????????? Been driving for eight years and have not been stopped yet. Maybe If I get stopped I will tell the officer to hop In at sit In the drivers seat and see how cool the SSR Is, Just before he puts the handcuffs on me. ?????????????????????. Yikes, Captain Jack rum and coke at It again.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
HI, I've noticed that many SSR's don't display a front plate> My state requires one so I need a front place bracket. Does any one have one?
I know you won't want to do this but ... I made one out of a 55 Chevy Trunk plate holder, mounted it under the passenger side headlight like a late 40's Chevy Pick Up. I'm not crazy about it being there, but I got the only SSR out of 20,000 + with Front Plate mounted where the old Chevy's had them. :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
simple engendering plate holder is made specifically for the Chevy SSR roadster. 2003 to 2006. Good parts are not cheap & cheap parts are not good.

Birdmans
I agree, but Mike's plate holder will not work with a front spoiler. The sto and sho holder I had made almost two years ago fits with my spoiler. I also like the idea that no tools are required to remove plate.

·
Spirited driver!
1,523 Posts

Birdmans
This is true. This one was made specifically for the SSR as well. He used my truck as a test mule for final fitment before having them fabricated. I have a ton of simple engineering parts on my truck as well and can assure you that these parts are not cheap. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that you now have another option and I like this one better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts