Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the factory front license plate holder attach to the car? Does it show any damage if taken off?

Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Yes it does. It leaves 4 unsightly holes where the plate holder went. I took mine off and am leaving it off. I have a black SSR so the holes won't show up too well. I may end up taking it to a place to have the holes looked at for fixing. I was at the dealership today where I bought it to see if the other SSR's they have had the front plate holders on them and they did not. I asked my salesman about it and he said they don't put the holders on but that they had bought my SSR from a different dealer. He may have done it. ANyway, the point is I have four holes in my front grill. I don't care if I get a ticket or not, I am not putting the front license plate back on. Looks ugly.

R

·
0 Posts
I agree with you 100% regarding the looks of the plate. Yet, it's a risk not running with it, as at least in my state a ticket for no front plate is a "moving violation" that will cost $100's of dollars over the course of time in insurance increases above and beyond the cost of the ticket.

I have a C6 Corvette on order and that car will absolutely be DESTROYED with a front plate holder too. With all that world-class engineering that car also has a 4-screw-into-the-fascia mounting system. I am going to find an alternative mounting method before the dealer puts the bracket on.

In the meanwhile, I resort to trying to find cool plates. I secured "CHEV SSR" (just like the '04 brochure back cover) for the SSR of course and have had "C6" for 2 years on another vehicle "holding" for the new Vette. One of these days my brother is going to give up "VETTE" the he has on his C4 and turn the rights over to me for that plate. My current Vette is a 50th Anniversary and sports "VETTE 50". All Maine plates.

You should not have too much trouble filling the holes. You could even start by trying it yourself with GE black silicone.(?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too bad about the c6 Russ. Didn't the c5 have a plate mount molded nicely into the front bumper? I though that was a nice detail for our states that need plates.

I have a Prowler and a Viper that I have never had a front plate on, and so far have not had a problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.:)

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
An earlier thread on this forum listed a retractable plate at www.hotrodproducts.com
It's a bit complex, requiring electrical and vacuum connections, and it's designed to retract from vertical to 90 degrees back when the engine is off. It drops automatically when the engine is turned on.

I don't have an SSR yet, but looking at the front center area, I don't think there's enough room for it to retract back without snagging the vertical framing behind the facia.

I've been looking for one that would retract vertically, and drop back down when the engine is on - let me know if anything shows up - otherwise, it's time to get inventive for those of us unlucky enough to require a front plate. A hidden mount that pops down below the facia when running would probably satisfy the enforcers - don't know if there are any minimum height requirements

1 - 7 of 7 Posts