Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i'm a new owner of a 2004 redline red ssr. i just picked it up on june 1st. i have a problem, when i picked it up, the dealer had put the front plate bracket on. i told them not to do that but the word didn't get to the mech. in time. i had a fit and wanted them to take it off, they said if they took it off it would leave holes. does anyone know how to fix them if i take it off? thanks for any suggestions. this is a great truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer asked me if I wanted the front plate put on. Living in New Jersey I didn't want a hassle from the police if I was ever pulled over. So I watched them drill the holes for the plate. Gave me a sinking feeling watching it, but in the long run I will probably not get hassled by anyone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply drtaz, i'm glad i didn't have to watch the drilling i would have passed out. i just sold a 66 vette coupe that i owned for 26 yrs. and bought this truck. i didn't have a plate on that car for that long and never got hassled about it. i was willing to take that chance with this truck. i live in the buffalo, n.y. area and i guess the police around here kinda let it slide. i always had the plate with me in the car just in case. maybe i was just lucky. thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
cover up

hard to fix these ugly holes at the body shop w/o significant expense(which I would ask your dealer to bear), but if you're into the retro look, many members here are applying a silver tape to the front grile slats to match our other metal trim. Looks good- look up zainossr- his avatar shows a nice picture of it. good luck-you'll love this thing!

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Well, almost!

but if you're into the retro look said:
Actually, that was my first SSR, the Redline, with the silver grille. That pic is still in the gallery so it can still be seen. I am sporting a Ricochet Silver these days. Red was beautiful, but 42% of these babies are red! Just wanted one not so easily seen. Don

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Oh a Stealth SSR, Zaionossr I didn't know they made those, HEEE HEEE HEEE!
Hey ask me about the holes in the front grill, 350.$ later and you can't even tell they were ever there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just took off the front plate today. i can't belive that gm would come up with such a dumb way of mounting that bracket. what were they thinking or not thinking. for what they are getting in price of this truck, i would hope they come up with something better than this. i think $ 15.00 is a bit much for this bracket. mine is off now and will stay off. i'll fix these holes and i mite send the bill to the dealer that put them there. maybe we should all do that, then gm mite wake up.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Take it to them first, make them fix it. My dealer didn't pay for mine but my SSR came in two weeks early so we didn't get the chance to tell them not to put it on, the body shop fixed it and I was very happy with the work, they told that the shop still doesn't have the paint code for the slingshot, I was surprised at that. But all is well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ZR2, Try This.

I had the same experience with my Redline Red SSR. I stumbled across a roll of red Scotch Plastic tape at a Coast-to-Coast hardware store. Item #34-7032-6995-0. Cost $2.00. Roll is an inch and half wide by 125 inches long. I razor cut four small squares about a half-inch square. Applied these over the holes in the front . Been 6 months and the tape is still sticking perfectly. No one has EVER noticed them and I have to look awfully close myself to find them. The color match is nearly perfect. I also cut 4 bowties the same size as those on the center caps of our wheels and applied them to the bowties on the center caps. Really makes the factory wheels "stand-out" with the red bowties in the otherwise all silver wheel. Don't laugh at this inexpensive approach as I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just how close this color tape matches our SSR Redline Red. Pls. try and let me know what you think. If you aren't happy with the results it peels off quite easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was just at the paint man's shop today, he's going to fix the holes for me this comming wk. end. i like the idea of the red on the bow tie on the wheels. i mite have him paint mine red or gold, if he thinks it would be easier to do with tape i'll do that. i'll let you know how things turn out... thanks for all the help.

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Front Plate Bracket

I too was not wanting the front plate on my SSR but the dealer installed it anyways. I am starting to get used to it. Perhaps the special plates make it easier to tolerate.

Don't blame GM for the dealer putting on the bracket. The state requires a front plate so the dealers do it automaticly. Hopefully the dealer installs it in the lower part of the grill and not right under the bowtie like I have seen on a few. $15.00 really isn't a high price to pay for a licence plate bracket, at least it is curved slightly and doesn't take away too much of the front end looks.

See wrong way to attach plate bracket to front grill in the second photo below :nono

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts