Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering how SSR owners are faring without a front license plate? I live in California and know the front plate is law. I've been told that this violation is a, "fix and sign off if ticketed." I own a 1982 El Camino with side tented windows and received a ticket for this. It was a fix and sign off. I replaced the tent a month later and am still going after five years. These violations are the type that you will get cited for if your stopped for a more serious violation. Just wondering how others with no front plates are doing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Front Plates

A co-worker has this story.

The police showed up in the morning and asked if they knew were his daughters Civic was. Sure enough, it wasn't in the driveway. The car had been recovered by the police when an alert patrollman spotted the car in an alleyway with a bunch of gangbangers. He knew the car was out of place for that crowd. The missing front plate gave him the legal means to roust the crew and discover that the car didn't belong to any of them. The patrollman said that if a front plate had been on the car, he would have driven on by.

Most cops won't waste time with a fixit ticket for a front plate, unless they are looking to give you a hard time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fred- you might see my blurple around Glendora- without a front plate. If I ever get stopped I'll temporarily put lag bolts through the honey comb grill and get it signed off. Like you said, it should be good for another 5 years!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like this story. I know a few police and they don't like the looks of a front plate and wouldn't bother doing the paperwork.

S

·
0 Posts
It's also law in Washington, I have not had a front plate on any of my vehicles for well over 25 years. Stopped once in all that time by an A*@ H&%# who must have had a REAL HARD day. Cost me $49, best money I ever spent, (Except of course for the SSR).

·
Registered
541 Posts
No front plates, damnit...

No problems here, so far.

No front plate and the tint is just a hair too dark.

Of course, we have only had the truck for about 2 weeks. :thumbs

Diggs

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Diggs,

Just be carefull when you go the GW Parkway. Us Park Police will stop you just for not having your front tag on plane site. Take it from Someone who knows. :) But also be carefull if you ever come up the road to Old Town. Fairfax will do the same thing. :)

M

·
0 Posts
I took my front plate and holder off my SSR to find 4 holes. I will deal with the holes. I have been driving it without a front plate for a couple of months now. No problems. I also have a Dodge Dakota that I have been driving without a front plate for over two years and not problems at all. And I too live in California. Just look around at all the people that don't have front plates, or sports team plates on the front end. I will not put a plate on the front end of this beautiful vehicle we drive. How many Corvettes and Cameros have you seen without front plates?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Do you remember I took the front plate of and had the holes filled and the grill repainted. I thought we were being smart by placing the plate under the truck on the metal piece that runs across the spar, well the plate and the spar are gone, I am blaming it on my hubby since he scraped the plate on the curb while parking. But I guess when they stop me I will play dumb and get down and look, and say man it was just on the last time I washed it. Lets just hope "the Man" doesn't come looking at this site for evidence. LOL:)

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,334 Posts
It is also law here in Nevada - but in practice the police will not write a citation only for a front plate missing. BUT, if you're pulled over for something else and he already has that pen warmed up . . . :nono

·
Registered
601 Posts
Do not ever drive to Washington DC. The US Park Police in the Washington area will stop you for not having a front plate as well as anything else they want to stop you on. They will set and watch traffic during rush hour and wait to see if you have a plate on, seat belt on, or any mirror traffic violation they can find.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
You know now that I lost it, is the bracket that it was attatched to needed, because it came off too. I told my husband I could drive everywhere I had been in the last week to see if I spotted it. :);)

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
My buddy has 1985 Corvette since new, no front plate, on hassles.
Never going to put mine on....unless I need to fix a ticket....then I'll take it off right after. :banghead

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
:jester I don't have a front plate on any of my vehicles and have never been stopped YET.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts