Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been numerous posts regarding the front plate, but they were pretty spread out.

It appears as though I can attach the front plate to the radiator support at the same location of the plastic air dam. I would not drill holes in the support, rather I would either drill holes in the license plate so that it matched up with existing holes, or make a conversion bracket out of billet.

Also I would play with the plate to gound height, so as not to totally mess with the air flow. It would kind of hang low, but I should be able to find a happy medium between having it tucked up there and having Johnny Law accept it. (I can say that cause I am one)

It's either that or plead for a warning as I refuse to dril holes for the plate. I thought about putting it in a portable sheath of some kind on the dash, but law requires it be at the front of the vehicle.

D

·
0 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if someone came out with a unit that mounted under the front bumper, when I say under I mean under the front bumper to where you don't see it at all. At the push of a button the plate it moves out and pops up, it can be done, just needs someone like Jesse James to make it.

Al

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
inspiration

You've inspired me, I'll see what I can fabricate. Have not looked under there all that much but looks as tho there is enough room.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: inspiration

geunther said:
You've inspired me,
I have, that's a first for me.:D I'm sure it can be done, there might be already be something on the market like it? I'll surf the internet and see if I can't come up with a front pop up license plate bracket.

·
Registered
413 Posts
plate

a product is available that hides the plate when parked and folds down when engine is started a lot of streetrodders use them I think the company is hideaplate but not sure

·
Registered
413 Posts
plate

yea thats the one i was talking about

D

·
0 Posts
There's no front plate here in Michigan, if I had one I would like to be able to lower the plate only if I saw a cop.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here in Colorado front tags are also required, however my dealer was kind enough to leave the front tag bracket off at delivery, and that's how it will stay. I like the hideaway tag idea back under the front facia, but for now if I happen to be unlucky enough to get pulled over for not having a front tag, I guess I'll simply accept the fine as a cost of ownership issue. Of course - that's something you usually get *after* you screwed up doing something else...say, for example, speeding? :angel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wyoming

Here they will stop you for the fron plate violation alone. They usually wont scratch you a citation on the first or even second time. I don't like getting stopped, so I will display, just not with the fatory's idea.

The only time i've been stopped in my 70LT-1 was for lack of front plate. I have a trooper frined who is also into vettes. He informed me to explain to the troopers the corvette exemption. I am wondering if that exemption will also apply to the ssr.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

I think the more you try to hide the plate, the less integrated it appears. Putting it as close to the bow tie seemed to be a decent solution as opposed to putting it way low and not being integrated. Just my preference though. It is a hard decision to have to live with. I hated having to mess up such a beautiful grill like the SSR's but the law is the law. I think putting it way down under the radiator may be a problem when going over bumps and stuff.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought mine in Maryland and the front bracket was already attached so I didn't have to worry about this particular dilemna.

Wish I had a choice though.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts