Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had LED's installed in my R and while checking them out I noticed when you turn the signals on the front side marker's also flash.....I'm assuming this is normal operation....? I also owned an 04 R and had just never noticed this....Thanks for your input..an ole grunt

·
DFW TX Crew
1,407 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I replaced my side markers with LED's and noticed them flashing. Talk about a difference those little lights make.

Check this out..... light reflecting off the ground.

Driver side has the LED and the passenger side is the OEM bulb and yes they are both on.
Side markers not front grill parking lights

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks autoprof for the clarification.......Joshvette, you are so right about the brightness especially at night, My wrench installed side markers, front and rear turns, license plate and back-up with LED's from Vled's. The back-up's are super bright. Next I will do high, low beams in the 5K white. Not sure about the fogs as Vled's only offer the 6K Blue. I don't like seeing the blue coming at me so the blue is out. Any suggestions where to get 5K fog's would be appreciated. I know the Vled's are pricey but this install is a one time and done deal.....an ole grunt

·
DFW TX Crew
1,407 Posts
Thanks autoprof for the clarification.......Joshvette, you are so right about the brightness especially at night, My wrench installed side markers, front and rear turns, license plate and back-up with LED's from Vled's. The back-up's are super bright. Next I will do high, low beams in the 5K white. Not sure about the fogs as Vled's only offer the 6K Blue. I don't like seeing the blue coming at me so the blue is out. Any suggestions where to get 5K fog's would be appreciated. I know the Vled's are pricey but this install is a one time and done deal.....an ole grunt

After researching the highs and low beams with LED's I opted to go the route of HID's instead. BTW the 6000K color really is not blue in my HID's more of just a really pure ultra white.

Here's a pic of my HID's with 6000K color side by side with the OEM bulbs.

Both HID's installed

Not really blue at all IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Flamminnanner or Joshvette
Where these plug and play?
Did you add resistors?
Did you change flasher module?
What were the part numbers? List please - I don't need links

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Joshvett, thanks so much for the info and pic's. I'm gonna rethink Vled's vs Kensun. High,low and fog's from Vled's $420...Kensun for same $180..great reviews with free shipping. Kensun does list the color as,
5000K = Pure white
6000K = Bright white (some detect slight blue)
I don't see any blue in your pic's....Maybe the difference is HID vs LED's?
Sure can see yer a professional detailer.....look at the shine in yer..RRRRRR.....an ole grunt
Kensun, on Amazon....All $59.99 for each..All plug and play..no soldering..
High Beam 9005
Low Beam H11
Fog's 880
Flasher Upgrade...Novita 426...purchased on E-Bay...Autozone $52 plus ship..in the store $62 plus tax...

·
DFW TX Crew
1,407 Posts
Flamminnanner or Joshvette
Where these plug and play?
Did you add resistors?
Did you change flasher module?
What were the part numbers? List please - I don't need links
We are referring to the front side markers only to clarify as the rear side markers do not flash. We are not referring to the front turn signals in the grill area to be clear.

Not sure on the part number so here's the name, I'd post the link but you asked not too. ;)

Mine are: JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 3014 Chipsets 194 168 2825 W5W T10 LED Bulbs, Amber Yellow

I do not have resisters spliced in nor do I have the LM486 flasher module installed either.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,407 Posts
Joshvett, thanks so much for the info and pic's. I'm gonna rethink Vled's vs Kensun. High,low and fog's from Vled's $420...Kensun for same $180..great reviews with free shipping. Kensun does list the color as,
5000K = Pure white
6000K = Bright white (some detect slight blue)
I don't see any blue in your pic's....Maybe the difference is HID vs LED's?
Sure can see yer a professional detailer.....look at the shine in yer..RRRRRR.....an ole grunt
Kensun,
High Beam 9005
Low Beam H11
Fog's 880
Flasher Upgrade...Novita 426...purchased on E-Bay...Autozone $52 plus ship..in the store $62 plus tax...

Well 5000K and 6000K color is the standard color for HID's in cars these days that come from the factory with HID's so that why I went with 6000K color. Probably not a noticeable difference between 5000k and 6000k in color. I'm sure either will suit you purposes.

Just make sure your headlights are correctly aimed as the beams are much brighter and you don't want to blind on coming traffic. Also I believe the fog lights are angled much higher so make sure you realign those for sure.

I've not yet done my fog lights so I can't say too much about them but due to the loose front fascia I would higher recommend getting Mike AZ front stabilizers for that area as they take out almost all the bouncing the fog lights do. Those stabilizers are only like $70 but a must have if you ever turn your fog lights on.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,407 Posts
Joshvett,
Kensun, on Amazon....All $59.99 for each..All plug and play..no soldering..
That's $59 for a pair of HID bulbs. That's both low beams for $59 to clarify.

Yes they are plug n play, no soldering at all. You just plug in all the connectors, bulb, ballast and wiring harness, then put in the light into the socket. You will need to mount your ballast though. I just picked the flattest spot I could find above the fog lights, cleaned it real good with alcohol and used a lot of 3M double side tape. Use the thick tape not the thin.

Do not touch the bulbs. I'm sure you know that the oils from your skin gets on the bulbs and can burn them out prematurely.

I will warn you though that the daytime running lights can cause a humming or interference since the DRL's are a lower wattage and messes with the high output of the HID's. I just pulled the DRL fuse and no issues at all. I obviously don't have daytime running lights now though so consider that. It doesn't bother me but some people may want the DRL's. That is the only draw back to the HID's IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
We are referring to the front side markers only to clarify as the rear side markers do not flash. We are not referring to the front turn signals in the grill area to be clear.

Not sure on the part number so here's the name, I'd post the link but you asked not too. ;)

Mine are: JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 3014 Chipsets 194 168 2825 W5W T10 LED Bulbs, Amber Yellow

I do not have resisters spliced in nor do I have the LM486 flasher module installed either.
Josh
Thanks for the response, I understand this was originally front side markers only.

I was requesting information from someone who has recently upgraded exterior lights to LED

If I wanted to change all exterior lights front and rear how about a shopping list - like the kind my wife sends me to the store with so I get the right things (doesn't always work but sure helps) :deal:

Bulb location -- Replacement LED brand and part # (exact part #s I need to order)
Flasher / Resistor requirements and or recommendation (prefer no resistor - I will pay for better bulb if resistor is not required)

I saw the other post " LED bulbs all in one location " this was 5 years old!

Basically update this list which maybe outdated and not complete

·
DFW TX Crew
1,407 Posts
Josh
Thanks for the response, I understand this was originally front side markers only.

I was requesting information from someone who has recently upgraded exterior lights to LED

If I wanted to change all exterior lights front and rear how about a shopping list - like the kind my wife sends me to the store with so I get the right things (doesn't always work but sure helps) :deal:

Bulb location -- Replacement LED brand and part # (exact part #s I need to order)
Flasher / Resistor requirements and or recommendation (prefer no resistor - I will pay for better bulb if resistor is not required)

I saw the other post " LED bulbs all in one location " this was 5 years old!

Basically update this list which maybe outdated and not complete

I agree we need a new reference list for LED's that are not a decade old. Thing is I have not done them all yet and don't know part numbers as I shop for them on Amazon and best thing I can do is post links....

Also there's a lot more options out there like projector LED's and then just the regular LED (block style) and some are much brighter and some are just a little brighter (more diodes and less diodes) so it's kind of hard to say exactly which ones people should buy when there's so many to choose from now.

I've actually posted several times with the links to the lights I bought, mostly on the "what you did with your SSR today" thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
3 Participants
Joshvette
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing