Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Spirited driver!
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the front stiffening plate from Simple Engineering today and boy what a difference it makes. I already had the 4-bolt cross-member installed so I was skeptical about how much this stiffening plate would help. Let me tell you, it helps a lot!

@juhunsfun and I did it in about 40 minutes including the time to put the truck up on jack stands. It was one of the easiest and best improvements I have done. See the picture below of the plate and weak cross-brace it replaced. Huge improvement in ride and eliminated steering wheel shake. Thanks to Bill for the help on the install and to @Mike in AZ for making this available to us.

Do yourself a favor and get one for your truck. You will not be sorry.

Attachments

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,830 Posts
I could not agree more, PokerGuy . . .

After Mike installed one on The Doophus years ago, I noticed a huge improvement immediately . . . even on the drive home.

For what it's worth . . . the improvement continues today. Definitely an investment / money well spent.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Have to agree one if not the best mod. Now just change to a trailblazer cross member, lower a little and it will be dang near perfect.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Got notice that mine has been shipped from AZ and looking forward to installing it later this week. I just purchased my SSR last week and it has the LC32 kit already so this should put the front end in great shape.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
You'll be glad you did OkieDave. Do you have the steel radiator support installed?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
No I don't. Should of ordered it all at once but I guess it needs to be added to complete the aftermarket additions for the front end.

·
Sweet Tomato
29 Posts
We replaced the front tires and added the frame stiffening plate. The Trail Blazer cross member was replaced a few years ago. We were flabbergasted in the difference of the ride. Took all of the shaking out of the wheel and made for a much firmer ride in the corners. Can't thank Mike at Simple Engineering enough for all the parts he provides!!! Tom and Linda Sweet Tomato

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
The best mod for the truck, IMO. Like others, you cannot imagine how much better the ride and control is up front after install. The frame actually squealed a bit as the last turns of the air wrench pulled it together with the stiffener. Getcha one......and install the rad support while you have it up in the air.

·
Spirited driver!
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've stayed away from frame stiffener because standard ride is is stiff and rough. But having read these reviews may have to rethink! What changes are you feeling?? Thanks!!
I don't feel it makes it a "stiffer" ride. For me, it makes it a more "solid" feel and eliminated steering wheel shake that I was getting even on smooth roads. I already had the steel radiator support and the 4-bolt crossmember which made a big difference so I was not expecting much but it was definitely a major improvement that I could instantly feel and appreciate. I was actually seeking out pot-holes on the way home and the truck took them better than the wife's Caddy.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,773 Posts
I installed mine and my wife mentioned the difference in the ride before I could say anything. I love the ride and how much more stable the drive is.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,471 Posts
I've stayed away from frame stiffener because standard ride is is stiff and rough. But having read these reviews may have to rethink! What changes are you feeling?? Thanks!!
Attend an event and ask if you can test someones truck that is similar to yours and has it! I think you might find one or two that are willing. I would be as long as I went along.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
868 Posts
Here is another product Mike is offering that I had done last week and it is the urethane bushings. My uppers were shot but not surprising since the truck is 13 years old. Do the radiator support and bushings and then have the front end aligned. I already had the frame stiffener and radiator support but getting bushings done gave me a much smoother ride.

·
Vendor
546 Posts
I have had the front frame stiffener on for several years and I have not noticed any difference in my 2005. Maybe it makes a difference on different years? They had to take it off in order to align the front end so I watched to see if there was any difference on the alignment scope after reinstalling and there was not.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Replace the shocks with upgraded ones from Simple Engineering and it will feel like a totally different (better) ride. I installed the stiffening plate and shocks at the same time, completely better ride all around. Shocks take the harshness out of the ride, plate gets rid of the giggles and wheel shake.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts