Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,147 Posts
They use the 18mm and 21mm quite a bit on the front end stuff. I think even the caliper brackets are held on with 18mm.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I have a 175,000 on mine and am doing it because I am going to lower it. While I have it apart I was going to do the poly bushings as well. If I am going that far I may as well put new ball joints in it as well so it is all new. I went to the local pick a part salvage yard and found some nice control arms, spindles and caliper brackets. This way I can clean and paint them so they are all rebuilt when I do the swap rather than taking it apart rebuilding and putting it back together then. It will be down less time this way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This ssr has 65000. Left upper ball joint had gone dry and was bad so I did them both. Control arm bushings go bad over time(12yrs) they don’t make rubbers like they use to

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I don't understand why they don't make front end parts on new vehicles with grease fittings in them any more. The cost can't be more then 50 cents to drill, tap and put the zirk in the part but it costs us a lot more when we have to replace ball joints and tie rod ends because they wear out from not being able to grease them.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Just a word of caution when buying front shocks for the SSR.......

Check to be sure that the shock you are choosing is unique to the SSR. If you use a front shock absorber that also fits the Trailblazer, you will end up with the stance of the SSR sitting higher in the front by almost 3/4" more than original ride height. I know, for a fact, that Monroe, Gabriel, Rancho, KYB and Sachs do not offer a "correct ride height" shock for the SSR.

The reason that the stance rises when installing a Trailblazer shock on the front is the location of the lower spring perch on the body of the shock. Trailblazer shocks have a shorter distance between the bottom mount point of the shock and the bottom of the coil spring. It is this distance that is critical.

The Bilstein Trailblazer front shocks are the only ones I have found that can be modified to adjust the ride height down to the correct spot. I have been modifying front shocks for several years to adjust the ride height and make them a drop-in replacement for the SSR original shocks.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't understand why they don't make front end parts on new vehicles with grease fittings in them any more. It costs us a lot more when we have to replace ball joints and tie rod ends because they wear out from not being able to grease them.
This exact definition is a new age concept known as "Predetermined Obsolescence"
Where product manufacturers
(whether it is ball joints, smartphones, shower heads and everything in between)
already have the next two or three design updates, or more, in the process, to make the product seem 'new and improved.'
It is also kindled by the fact that many of said manufacturers actually make their products degrade faster
(in this case, without the oil)
so you will need to buy the product again, although it will definitely be sooner
than you'd probably like.

I liked it better when greed didn't fuel ingenuity and things were built to last...

But welcome to the future,
"Where selling trash to people for big bucks is more important than consumer happiness!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts