Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people. wow it has been quite awhile since i have been on this site. strange thing happened when in vermont last few days. couldn't get into the car. locks wouldn't budge, either with remote or with key. had to wait and wait until they would move even slightly and then got in by constantly hitting the open button until the driver's door lock popped. passenger lock took hours to defrost.

then when i went to get a scraper out of the back the lid was frozen shut too. i had to borrow a scraper and dig around the egdes and pry up until i could get my fingers underneatn and finally opened the back.

anyone else notice this cold weather door lock issue?

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
This can happen with any car or truck when rain suddenly turns to ice and the temp drops below freezing. I once had a minivan turned into a popsicle. I could not get ANY door or hatch open.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Unfrozen

It's never happened in AZ.:lol

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Can you just garage it for the winter and wait for the weather to get better? Naaaahhhhhh! I don't blame you; drive the sucker.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Frozen Out!

:bs :bs Nevers happens here!:bs :bs

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,663 Posts
*()^&^%&%*$

Go eat tumble weeds all you warm weather turkeys! :willy: :bs :smash :mad :glol :reddevil

Real men live in frigid weather... and eat snow 5 out 12 months a year!:jester :lol

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
This happens to my Avalanche a couple of times a winter,usually after it gets washed:eek

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Other side

On the other side of the coin, we can't touch our door handles with bare hands, in July / August and into September here.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
C1Trob said:
On the other side of the coin, we can't touch our door handles with bare hands, in July / August and into September here.

I had this problem when I was living a bit south of you in Sierra Vista. I had a BMW 635I that on a clear day I had to use a pot holder to open the door. You can imagine the looks I would get when leaving the office,and I was carrying a pot holder:eek

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Michigan De-Icer

ricardo said:
hey people. wow it has been quite awhile since i have been on this site. strange thing happened when in vermont last few days. couldn't get into the car. locks wouldn't budge, either with remote or with key. had to wait and wait until they would move even slightly and then got in by constantly hitting the open button until the driver's door lock popped. passenger lock took hours to defrost.

then when i went to get a scraper out of the back the lid was frozen shut too. i had to borrow a scraper and dig around the egdes and pry up until i could get my fingers underneatn and finally opened the back.

Ricardo

First off I wanted to say that it is realy nice to hear from you! I was just wondering a couple of days ago about what happened to you. Nice to know that you are doing fine.

As far as your frozen doors and cargo area. It hasn't happend to me yet. Sounds like a real bummer. I was just joking around yesterday and posted this maybe it will help you next time.....Michigan De-Icer:jester :lol :lol

Attachments

E

·
0 Posts
Marc NY said:
Go eat tumble weeds all you warm weather turkeys! :willy: :bs :smash :mad :glol :reddevil

Real men live in frigid weather... and eat snow 5 out 12 months a year!:jester :lol
don't eat the yellow snow!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Some advice about cold...

ricardo said:

Get your snow shovel from the garage...

Tie it on the back of your SSR...

Drive southwest until when you stop for gas someone asks: "what is that?"...

Buy a house and live warmly everafter!!!:glol

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have not had the frozen door locks

problems yet, but did have the top down yesterday. I had to cycle it back up though because the admirers (grocery shoppers) standing around wanted to see it. A man does what a man has to do!:lol

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
ricardo said:

I had more of a problem with the windows freezing up so that they wouldn't drop the 1/4" below the rubber......I really cringed when I yanked the door open :eek I wouldn't suggest anyone do that :eek

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey hot rod girl,

too funny. wish i had thought of that! :D

good to be back on the site too.

rick

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,781 Posts
When I lived in NY...

the calendar only had 3 months in the year..July, August, and Winter. :leaving :glol

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
65 Posts
Happened to me thurs. 1/05/06 in Rothschild, WI. I had read about this problem on here before. Treated all the window, door and tonneau moldings, but failed to treat the locking mechanics. Solenoids worked but doors would not unlock. After several tries, I went across street to a gas station and purchased a can of window de-icer. Squirted down the edge of door and window trim. Did the trick. Then went to chevy dealer, and asked about any TSB's concerning frozen locks, and a part was ordered that is supposed to fix problem? I also had seen this thread on here. Thanks to all the SSR Fanatics for shearing info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts