Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the major sale sites are all jumping on the bandwagon stating they can tell what every car is worth.
This may work with a cookie cutter Toyota or even the upper-end vehicles that are all totally optioned, but even then, it is suspect.
I think it is a competition thing between sale sites, and I guess we have to live with it
However, if you are a buyer, don't listen to the crap they spew out!

Obviously, my frustration is regarding the SSR, how companies like Car Gurus, Cars.com or AutoTrader can state - Good, Fair, Overpriced values w/o any facts.
They base their opinion with zero facts about the vehicle other than some seller's indication of condition, having no data about options

An SSR example that came up today

2004 :ssr - Rated Fair Value @ $25000 - about as plain jane as you could buy at the time - no boards, no gauges, no chrome wheels, no carpeted bed - 44k miles
JC on a crutch! - this SSR is worth $17k assuming the carfax is okay - less if not.
I have no idea how these goofs can come up with "Fair Value"
IMO, SSR options can influence the value of an SSR by upwards $5000 w/premium SSR's, more pertinent in 05/06 - certainly influences on all SSR's.
List - $25000 - in their opinion - Fair Value - ?

#13321 2004 Redline
Satin Wheels
No - boards gauges carpet

List Price - $25000
Mileage - 44000
Assets - none - satin wheels, no boards, no gauges, no carpeted bed

I might be ranting again! HaHa!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have to agree with you Cash, they don't understand the collector market at all and don't understand the values of options on the SSRs. When I was looking around for my first SSR, I looked at Car Guru almost every day and it was funny to see what they valued as good deals or not. I think the one thing about the SSRs is that most buyers are more educated than the average person who relies on a site like Car Gurus. I also take into account that Car Gurus has to pay for all that advertising they do and so they tend to favor their paying dealers with their search results and ratings.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,066 Posts
I have to agree with you Cash, they don't understand the collector market at all and don't understand the values of options on the SSRs. When I was looking around for my first SSR, I looked at Car Guru almost every day and it was funny to see what they valued as good deals or not. I think the one thing about the SSRs is that most buyers are more educated than the average person who relies on a site like Car Gurus. I also take into account that Car Gurus has to pay for all that advertising they do and so they tend to favor their paying dealers with their search results and ratings.
Always follow the money!!! Whoever pays the most gets the number in their direction or favor. It is like a professional witness. Whoever is paying him gets the the opinion in his favor. Follow the money.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an old saying - "Christ on a crutch"
Something said in huge frustration - no religious intent meant

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 17k for that truck with no options, are there any options that would make it worth 25k, if it had those options?
With 44k, even with chrome wheels, boards, gauges and carpet, it is somewhere in the low $20's.
That dealer is going with the "there is an ass for every seat" sales concept, and Guru's is aiding and abetting

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
Must be a Canadian saying. First time I've ever heard of it? No offence taken.

BIRD
May be a west coast saying because I heard it all through high school in SoCal. FWIW

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Heard it a lot growing up here in Kansas too.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ah... the debate over SSR values continues. Is it too low?? Is it too high?? $12K for a beater? $50K for a rare trailer queen? Or somewhere in between. Only the buyers and sellers of these fine unique vehicles will make the call regardless of what some "expert" tries to say. And yes... there IS a butt for every seat. Just my $.02 LOL.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Price seems high, but offers come down not up, usually. But I agree with the OP.

And tomaytoe tomoto, pecan pecon. JC on a crutch "Bless her heart" etc. that was a new one for North Carolina too.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
SoCal High School saying here also.

Gib
Well, Christ on a crutch!
No idea where that emanated from - HaHa!
It was just something we said back in the day - nothing intended - usually in frustration, dropping the wrench where you had to struggle to get it back sort of thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts