Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came up with the idea and have been building shift adapters for automatics in SSRs that allow owners to use custom handles for many years. This post is to announce yet another change to the design, version 4 I think.

This version comes in same polished or satin finish
Custom milling or laser etch design also possible
Default threads are 3/8 16 pitch (I can still get a 16 x 1.5 mm) but can be supplied with a custom request
Installation is with one set screw, suggest you use a thread lock compound to keep it from loosening
No twisting of the handle as in previous designs, no removal of internal OEM pin

Remove the OEM handle by loosening setscrew in front of handle. Slide the new adapter over the shift assembly. Align the setscrew where you want it and snug it down, thread locker (not supplied) is highly suggested. Setscrew is only there so that the handle does not rattle so not torque is needed. Then install the handle of your choice being careful not to over twist the adapter. To properly orient the handle you might need to use a thin nut below the handle to use as a locking nut.

Default threads are 3/8 16 pitch (I can still get a 16 x 1.5 mm) but can be supplied with a custom request
Installation is with one set screw, suggest you use a thread lock compound to keep it from loosening
No twisting of the handle as in previous designs, no removal of internal OEM pin

Remove the OEM handle by loosening setscrew in front of handle. Install the new shift handle on the adapter and align the handle to adapter so that the set screw faces the dash to hide it. To properly align and secure the handle to the adapter you might need a backing nut or thread locker. While in Park, slide the new adapter with handle attached over the OEM floor shift assembly. Align the setscrew where you want it (suggested to use the front) and snug it down, thread locker (not supplied) is highly suggested. Setscrew is only there so that the handle does not rattle so not much torque is needed and the metal is rather thin so be careful.

Current price is $60 shipped, custom requests will incur slight additional charges

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It looks like it sets up higher than stock, if so, by how much?
Good question. No, the adapter sits below stock height but total height depends on what handle you use.

From the plastic pin to the base of the adapter is about 1/4 inches.

Here is a side by side, if you use a 2 inch ball it would sit higher by about 1/4 inches than stock, 1 3/4 ball would make it about even with stock.

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have recommendations for places to acquire reasonably priced balls or grips? Never mind. Found a boat load on ebay.

Thanks, Mark.

Yeah, I was going to say that there are a ton of selections out there. EBay, Amazon, etc.... or just Google "shift handles" or "shift knob". Light up balls, handles that look like pin up girls, handles with skulls, etc.....

I have used billet handles in ball and T positions as well as converted pool balls and custom poured acrylic balls. I tend to change them out now and then just for something different to look at and hold while driving.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Thanks PokerGuy. HotRodShiftKnob has some cool stuff!

I was thinking a using an old Momo knob I have. It's carbon fiber and black leather. I've used it over the years on most of my toy cars. It's a universal fit so it can work on most anything. But it's just too tall for my taste for the set up in the SSR. It's a vertical grip style and is 4" tall. I prefer to keep the top of the shifter height closer to stock height.

·
The fun starts now!
61 Posts
Sir, I’ve been contemplating using a hurst or other brand ratchet shifter, but only if I could find one the would fit in the stick location In that you seem to have an assembly, can you tell me the height of the shifter body is.
Would be much appreciated
Regards
JimmyD05

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sir, I’ve been contemplating using a hurst or other brand ratchet shifter, but only if I could find one the would fit in the stick location In that you seem to have an assembly, can you tell me the height of the shifter body is.
Would be much appreciated
Regards
JimmyD05
The height is about 5.25 inches but be aware that some of that measurement is below the black plastic base of the shifter. If you take off the OEM handle with the set screw in the front you can add about 1/4 inches to the top of the orange pin and that would be the top of this new adapter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Automatic shift adapters for custom handles

Does your shifter adaptor allow for depressing it when going into different gears or would the after market shift need to have it built in to operate correctly like the attached

Attachments

·
Spirited driver!
1,744 Posts
Mike's adapter allows for the whole grip to be pressed down to shift. No need for a button on the handle.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
Here is the custom ball I had made for my new shifter from Dragon2U. I wanted it to look like the old school shifter from the sixties when they first came out with the four speed.

Attachments

Reactions: 06-SSR

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Ordered, received and installed.

Here's a few comments...

This has to be the easiest install of any upgrade you can do. Unscrew the set screw on the back of the stock shift lever. Lift it off. Slide on Mike's new assembly and snug up the new set screw. Done.

You'll want to install your new knob on the shift adapter first before you install the lever. You don't want to apply a lot of torque on the lever once it's installed.

The threads on the shift lever are only about a half inch long. If you plan to use a jam nut, you'll need a thin one. The one that came with my new knob was too thick for my liking. Fortunately, my knob seated in a good position so I didn't need the jam nut, just used a little thread lock on the threads when installing.

Speaking of threads... be sure the knob you want to use and the shifter have matching thread pattern.

By the time you add your knob, the assembly is slightly taller than a stock set up. Depending upon what type of knob you use and your personal taste, this could be a good thing or a bad thing. It's up to you.

I went with a 2" custom ball from Hot Rod Shift Knobs. For me, it's just right. The factory shift ball always felt a little too large and I never liked the button on top.

Performance of this new set up is as expected. Sweet and simple. Push the whole knob and top portion of the shift lever down and slide it into gear. Due to the nature of the engineering, there is the slightest bit of play in the assembly, but it's very minor and doesn't detract from the operation or enjoyment of the unit.

Bottom line, if you're tired of, or just don't like the factory set up, this is the ticket. Mike has done a great job engineering this little piece and for the asking price, it's a good deal.

wizzr.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Ordered, received and installed.

Here's a few comments...

This has to be the easiest install of any upgrade you can do. Unscrew the set screw on the back of the stock shift lever. Lift it off. Slide on Mike's new assembly and snug up the new set screw. Done.

You'll want to install your new knob on the shift adapter first before you install the lever. You don't want to apply a lot of torque on the lever once it's installed.

The threads on the shift lever are only about a half inch long. If you plan to use a jam nut, you'll need a thin one. The one that came with my new knob was too thick for my liking. Fortunately, my knob seated in a good position so I didn't need the jam nut, just used a little thread lock on the threads when installing.

Speaking of threads... be sure the knob you want to use and the shifter have matching thread pattern.

By the time you add your knob, the assembly is slightly taller than a stock set up. Depending upon what type of knob you use and your personal taste, this could be a good thing or a bad thing. It's up to you.

I went with a 2" custom ball from Hot Rod Shift Knobs. For me, it's just right. The factory shift ball always felt a little too large and I never liked the button on top.

Performance of this new set up is as expected. Sweet and simple. Push the whole knob and top portion of the shift lever down and slide it into gear. Due to the nature of the engineering, there is the slightest bit of play in the assembly, but it's very minor and doesn't detract from the operation or enjoyment of the unit.

Bottom line, if you're tired of, or just don't like the factory set up, this is the ticket. Mike has done a great job engineering this little piece and for the asking price, it's a good deal.

wizzr.

@PokerGuy and wizzr
If I am understanding this correctly, I can order the assembly from Dragon2U and then I can order a knob that is actually listed as a manual, not automatic, because it will not need the button.
Plus, if I don't want it to light up, I do not have to take anything apart. Just loosen the set screw and put the two pieces together and onto the shifter?

Some places do not accept returns. How do I know what thread size to order?

·
Spirited driver!
1,744 Posts
You understand correctly. Ask Dragon2U about the thread size but I as I recall it was a standard size that he produced.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I know I really like mine. 8 ordered it satin,but decided shiny was better. A little time on the buffing wheel fixed it right up.

Attachments

Reactions: wolfpacker

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dragon2U I want to order a satin finish, std thread and for a shift ball. What do I do to get the ball in motion, no pun intended. I will purchase a ball from the web site link.
Thanks Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
Just for info I got the shaft and thread size from Dragon2U and gave those measurements to the outfit that made my ball and they made a threaded insert that fit in the ball and went right on the new shifter stem Dragon2U made. All went together slick.

You need the shifter kit from Dragon2U for an automatic. Then you need the insert to be 3/8 X 16 to fit the threads or like me I got an adapter to that thread. Looks and works awesome.

Custom old school shift knob I had built coming out of Portland Oregon from a company called Johnny Law Motors. Kind of reminds me of the first 4 speed knob I saw back in the 60's on the 1960 Chevy Impala. It was a white Bubble top Impala with the red and whit and black interior and the four speed. First time I had ever seen one. Always like that look. Being mine is automatic I had the SSR insignia put on the ball instead of the 4 speed pattern like the original.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts