Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering doing a fuel filter replacement soon (usually do one on my camaros around 50k) because I travel a lot and sometimes by crappy gas from local gas stations..... BUT look what I found....

Some customers have commented that they have been advised to replace their vehicle’s fuel filter periodically.

On many vehicles, the fuel filter is non-serviceable (see table). The filter is an integral part of the fuel pump module and fuel pressure regulator assembly. The filter can be serviced only by replacement of the fuel module assembly. This process requires the removal of the fuel tank (one to two hours of labor, depending on the model), plus several hundred dollars in unnecessary parts.

The vehicle owner’s manual outlines the periodic maintenance service required, under the Maintenance 1 and Maintenance 2 guidelines. Routine fuel filter replacement does not appear on either of these schedules.

In the future, due to the increased regulation of evaporative emissions, fuel systems utilizing a non-serviceable filter will become more common as new models are introduced.

Vehicles with Non-Serviceable Fuel Filters:

2005 Equinox, Cobalt, Aveo, Trailblazer and EXT, SSR
(there are more....but I did not post them).

What seems to be missing are the 2003-2004 SSRs from this list.
So 2003/4 SSRs may need to replace fuel filters while 2005s do not?
Can anyone else verify this? (I would read my manual but it is currently in a box in storage somewhere).

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey John I hate to disagree with you but you can replace the fuel filters on the trailbazers. I replace my fuel filter between 30000 and 40000 miles and I recommend this to my customers. The number one reseon I see for fuel pump failers is due to plugged up filters as this causes the pump to work harder and it will cause a lean fuel trim condition and turn on the service engine light.
See you in lansing.
:seeya

B

·
0 Posts
wingrider said:
Hey John I hate to disagree with you but you can replace the fuel filters on the trailbazers. I replace my fuel filter between 30000 and 40000 miles and I recommend this to my customers. The number one reseon I see for fuel pump failers is due to plugged up filters as this causes the pump to work harder and it will cause a lean fuel trim condition and turn on the service engine light.
See you in lansing.
he did say 2005's. I guess you could have over 30,000 mi on your trailblazer thou. :confused :flag :seeya :leaving

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wingrider said:
See you in lansing.

I didn't make up that list, I found it on the GMtechlink web site. So I don't know if it's correct or not.... :lol :lol :lol I can't believe everything I read, right?

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,830 Posts

A "value post" fresh/new, good stuff guys. Not a "bit-h post"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds similar to what GM has done with the Corvette. My 02 Z06 has a fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail that I have replaced a few times. Sometime in mid-03 they started using an integral fuel pump fuel filter assembly, so the new Vettes have the filter in the gas tank... not exactly what I would call Sunday afternoon maintenance. :lol

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I had just got my SSR and on a trip to Chattanooga Tn the fuel line came off under the car The tow truck took me to a service station. The guy put it on a lift and showed me the clip had failed and the line came off the filter. He replaced the filter and $72.00 later and about 1 hour I was back on the road. The R had about 45000 miles on it when this happened

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Found my filter dangling from my '04 by the hoses while under the truck! Used a large hose clamp to secure it back to the plastic mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts