Chevy SSR Forum banner

Fuel Gauge problem - PO463 error

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SteveShane5SSR 
#1 ·
My fuel gauge will cycle when the SSR is started then go to correct fuel level, then with in a minute the gauge drops to empty, low fuel comes on, and "range to empty" goes to ---. The check engine light comes on and I checked it with a code reader. The code is PO463 which says: Fuel level sensor A circuit high input or open. The within a few minutes it goes back to reading the correct fuel level, fuel level low light goes off and the "range to empty" reads correctly. This continues back and forth as I am driving the SSR, or just sitting in the driveway. I am thinking it is the fuel sending unit, but know there are gauge cluster problems with the stepper motors. If it is the stepper motor, then I would think that the "range to empty" would read correctly. Any help to figure this problem out would be appreciated.

#2 ·
You are exactly correct on your diagnosis. There are two primary failures that will drive your fuel gauge. If it was a stepper motor at fault, the distance to empty would still read correctly.

I had precisely the same issue with my 2006 about 10 years ago. The symptoms were identical to yours. Replacement of the sending unit was the answer.

Two words of caution.........
1) The gas tank has to be dropped to fix this. I HIGHLY recommend getting the fuel level below 1/4 tank before attempting the repair.
2) The fuel filler entry into the tank is somewhat delicate and needs to be handled with care. If you are having someone do the work for you, use a reputable shop. If they booger up the inlet to the tank, the tank will have to be replaced.

Regards,

Mike

#4 ·
There was a recall on some of the 2005 with regards to the fuel level sensor. But the campaign had time and mileage limits. If yours was within that recall range there have been some members that have found sympathetic dealers/GM to work with them.

#5 ·
The fuel in the tank acts as a coolant for the pump, if you run the tank near empty in normal operation you might think about refilling at half or so to extend the longevity.

? Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
Custom Billet Accessories - Shift adapter, letters, satin/polished, etc

#6 ·
Exactly my symptoms in 2015. I had my '06 sensor done under warranty but I think the limit was 10 years from "delivery date". They wouldn't include the Pump and I decided not to pay extra for it because it only had 23,000 miles. I know still 9 years old but I didn't do it. I think some older parts are more reliable than the new ones this time in history.

Nick

#8 ·
Hello,
Thank you for confirming what I thought the problems was. Good tip about the fuel entry point. The rubber hose that connects it to the tank looks brittle and maybe fragile. May have to warm it up before removing it. I am going to get a buddy to help drop the tank as he has a lift and a trans jack to help lower the tank. I will try to get the gas as low as possible so the tank isn't so heavy. I did read an SSR post where the float sensor arm had no bushing on it so it wore an oblong hole around the shaft and cause the fuel gauge to read correctly and then drop to empty. If I remember correctly this started when I filled the tank completely full until the pump clicked off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.