Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just to document what can happen when the SSR fuel pump fails.

Last Saturday, we drove our 04 SSR to our NorCal SSR group's BBQ in Fairfield, CA. On the return trip home and about 3 miles from home, the SSR began stalling. I drove it onto a side road and parked it. I plugged in my code reader (yes I carry one in the SSR) and it had one DTC P0174 "Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2". The EVAP readiness test was also flashing "red".

I started looking for any "easy" fixes. I checked the engine compartment fuse box and found all of the fuses to be "good". I swapped the fuel pump relay for another of the same type and still no luck. I had the SSR towed to my home. I purchased a fuel pressure tester on Sunday and I confirmed that there was 0 PSI in the fuel system when the ignition is in the "On" position or trying to start the engine and I could not hear the fuel pump like I normally would before starting the engine.

I had the SSR towed to a Chevy service department that has worked on it in the past. They confirmed that it appeared to have a bad fuel pump. They tried to charge me the "list price" of $558 for the fuel pump, but they ended up reducing it when I showed them examples of other parts departments that would sell it for the mid $300 range. I could get a fuel pump from amazon.com for $258 shipped to my door and they would install it for me, but if it failed or was bad the labor to take it out and put another one in would be my responsibility. I opted for their "reduced price" fuel pump.

They installed the new fuel pump on Tuesday and the SSR was running again!

This was the first time in 35 years I actually had to use my AAA towing service.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Most dealers will not let you bring in your own parts? Even private shops are doing this in the North East?

What was the labor rate & cost of the install?

B.M.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most dealers will not let you bring in your own parts? Even private shops are doing this in the North East?

What was the labor rate & cost of the install?

B.M.
They charged me the standard book labor rate of 2.7 hours @ $140 per hour.

I also paid for one hour of diags to have them confirm it was truly the fuel pump and not some sort of electrical issue I had not discovered before having the SSR towed to their facility.

$140.00 - 1.0 hour of diags
$378.00 - 2.7 labor hours @ $140 per hour
$390.00 - Fuel Pump Assembly - 19206120
$ 29.25 - CA Sales Tax
--------
$937.25 - Total

The same fuel pump assembly/kit is sold with an AC Delco part number of MU1835. It can be purchased for $258 shipped from amazon.com.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Shift: Sure am glad you are back on the road. Two years ago on the Hot Rod Power Tour I lost an oil pump...fortunately for me it happened right after I got gas so when I cranked up to leave the station...zero oil pressure. Had it towed 1 mile to dealership. I didn't have tools with me to drop pan and change oil pump. Dealership of course would not let me do it nor would they allow me in the bay to check for bearing damage, I understand their side of that. Then the cost was absolutely ridiculous for the POS pump replacement. $1600 later I was out the door. Brought it home and yanked motor...checked everything out and all was good. Ironically the mechanic told me if he had met me before I gave the car to service manager he would have offered up his shop when he got off work and we could have done it at his place. I had a lot of spare parts stuff with me but not enough tools to change oil pump. Old as I am and I have never had an oil pump go bad on me. The original pump just basically ate itself. Right after that I put in the 427 with lots and lots of internal goodies and have my 5.3 on an engine stand...sure is pretty!!! Anyway, back to original statement glad you are back on road!!! V/R,

On another note anyone know the life expectancy of our fuel pumps???

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
WOW, LABOR rate here is about $85 if I remember correctly? I was told by a guy who rebuilds fuel pumps/that if/you get fuel when at a quarter tank or more the fuel pump probably will never go bad. It needs the fuel to keep it cool? I have to keep my wife from running to almost empty?

B.M.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,577 Posts
Thanks for the heads up BUT I have 120,000 on my 04.

Maybe I should change it but it is in tank.

Right??

Dicktator

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
They charged me the standard book labor rate of 2.7 hours @ $140 per hr.

The same fuel pump assembly/kit is sold with an AC Delco part number of MU1835. It can be purchased for $258 shipped from amazon.com.
First and foremost, it's good that you have the "R" back with no unrelated damage or mishaps.
And I'm not defending the stealership, that's for sure.

I sell parts to garages all day, 6 days a week. The best statement I heard from a shop owner when he was told by a customer they could get the same parts 40% cheaper through Amazon was; " you can ?., then why don't let Amazon put them in too ? " :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Electric Pump.

With the prices Dealers charge and you know for sure it is the pump, it sure would cheaper to get a $14.99 electric pump and carry it and the right tools to get you home. Just my thought.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
With the prices Dealers charge and you know for sure it is the pump, it sure would cheaper to get a $14.99 electric pump and carry it and the right tools to get you home. Just my thought.
Not sure that would work, as the system needs to be at 60 psi min.
Inline pumps like that would be $90. Plus tying it in would be hard to do on the side of the road. AAA best $ spent.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
To Spook: So much for "Mr Good Wrench" ouch. being that "Chevy Performance" is a co sponsor of the tour I would have sent them a little letter, informing them of what happened. As a participant one would have thought that a little more could have, and should have been done by the dealership.

Long may you run Sir.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
On another note anyone know the life expectancy of our fuel pumps???
As for the life expectancy of electric fuel pumps, it is a crap shoot with how long they will last. I have seen them with over 300,000 miles on them and some that had less then 50K on them. Best way to keep them happy and having a long life is to not let the tank level drop below a 1/4 of a tank. If you drop below this level the pump is not cooled by the fuel and runs hotter. At a 1/4 tank the pump is just starting to become uncovered. When you are on fumes, your pump is unhappy and hot. So keep it happy with plenty of fuel in the tank!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
RedHot: Yeah I pleaded with them something fierce. I even asked if I could just have a spot in the shade and borrow a jack and jack stands. They said sorry we just can't do that. I do understand but by the same token for me to do it would have been under $200. The limiting factor was whether I had damaged the bearing or not. But worse case it would have just been an engine rebuild although much more extensive had I had bearing damage then drove it home. All is good though so there you have it. The Mrs said well what do you expect? You've been driving all these hot rods for decades with no major problems of any kind...you were long over due. She's right!!

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
They charged me the standard book labor rate of 2.7 hours @ $140 per hour.

I also paid for one hour of diags to have them confirm it was truly the fuel pump and not some sort of electrical issue I had not discovered before having the SSR towed to their facility.

$140.00 - 1.0 hour of diags
$378.00 - 2.7 labor hours @ $140 per hour
$390.00 - Fuel Pump Assembly - 19206120
$ 29.25 - CA Sales Tax
--------
$937.25 - Total

My R is in the Chevy dealership as I speak getting a new fuel pump! I was dead on the road 3 miles from our daughter's home in Virginia Beach. :frown2: I was stopping off there after the 2019 fun filled weekend in Maggie Valley.

:black: :smile2:

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My R is in the Chevy dealership as I speak getting a new fuel pump! I was dead on the road 3 miles from our daughter's home in Virginia Beach. :frown2: I was stopping off there after the 2019 fun filled weekend in Maggie Valley.

:black: :smile2:
While they're swapping out the fuel pump, you might have them or yourself in the near future change the fuel filter as well. It's an external one for the 2003/2004 SSR and it's easy to change.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I changed my fuel pump 10/18 before heading to Warner-Robbins for the Rally. The fuel pump was not bad bit the $28 sending unit was! Why spend $300 labor and just change the sending unit so I bought a new complete unit instead. In Georgia I had issues with starting, it seemed it wasn’t getting that initial fuel. Took it back and they replaced it at no charge under a two year warranty. I have the original fuel pump and installed a new sending unit on it so it’s in my stash.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It is very true...

ALWAYS leave at LEAST 1/4 tank of fuel in the SSR (or ANY recent GM vehicle of the last 20 years).

The fuel pumps are in fact cooled by the fuel and run MUCH hotter when run lower than 1/4 of a tank and the service life is greatly reduced.

Also...when you let your truck sit, under NO conditions let it sit with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. And ab-so-LUTE-ly do NOT let it sit with ETHANOL in it!!!

Don't ask me how I know...just read my long thread on the subject of my truck sitting and the problems I had.

Leave your truck with a nearly-full tank of non-Ethanol fuel with stabilizer in it...and drive it every few months.

Or, go through hell replacing pumps, injectors, plugs, and the $$$ in your pocket...

:)

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,577 Posts
Scott168 called me today, his 03 SSR is at Dealer in Virginia having Fuel Pump put in.

Only 16 years old!!

I think I will change mine/sender unit, filter before I go to Branson, course mine is only 15 years Old!

At least the 03/04 has filter outside tank.

Dicktator

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
15 Participants
Achias
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing