Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if everyone is using Super 93 octane in there SSR or are you using lower octane without any pinging etc. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
91 is as high as it gets here. $3.17/gal. Owners Manual says Premium.
SSR, An American Original book says 87 is fine. So let the debate begin again. It's been discussed before, try the search window.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I Use The Low Grade Wright Know. As It Is Winter And Ive Only Had It Since Oct. Ive Had No Pinging As Of Now. But May Move Up When It Gets Warmer Time Will Tell......

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm using 93 now just because I'm not driving it very much, so what's a couple dollars more per fill-up? But I've burned both regular and midgrade in it on trips without issues.

Maximum power isn't one of my concerns, and I've yet to see compelling evidence that premium provides sufficient MPG increase (if any) to yield a positive return on the price differential.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
every gallon

93 every day...

·
Premium Member
31,258 Posts
I got the LS2, so I'm pretty much stuck with using 91+.

As far as the 5.3 and whether it would run better on 87 or 89 or 91+, I have to say that it could depend on many factors - weather, altitude, quality of the fuel, any engine or programming modifications, etc. I do know that for the past month+ I have been using 89 in my still stock Silverado and noticed that after the second tank that power had improved and mileage is up by about 1 mpg. Is that enough to warrant it? It's up to you to decide. I just got my westers computer yesterday, so we'll see just what the 89/93 dual tune can do. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pinging

I'm using California 89 octane. Tried a tank of 87, but I thought I heard pinging under load. Haven't heard anything with 89:)

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Timbrr said:
Ethonol 89 octane in my 2004. No problems, no lack of power.
Timbrr,
When I left Karl Chevy. One of the guys there told me not to put that stuff in my 06 SSR. I think he said it was made from Cow Feed. :eek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Octane Ratings & Ethanol

There is not much difference between Regular and Premium in my 2004 5.3L. Sometimes the fuel economy and power seem bit better with Premium, but that difference is at best minor and could be due to other factors than the Octane rating.

It would be interesting to know what the engine calibration is relative to detonation threshhold. If GM set the basic ignition calibration above that level and then uses the knock sensor to back out spark advance, there might be an improvement in power and economy.

As far as ethanol content in the fuel, it's only advantage is political (farm subsidies, tax credits, etc). Ethanol has about half the energy content of gasoline and and adding 10% to the mixture drops the fuel economy by 5%. If you fill up with an ethanol blend, make sure it is priced cheaper than 100% gasoline; it is worth less in driving range. (Worse yet, ethanol gives back less energy as fuel than went into growing & harvesting corn and processing it into ethanol according to a US DOE study published in 2001).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had an 03, put 11600 miles with 87 octane, now have 04 put 7200 with 87 octane no problems with ping or low power/ looking for 05 just to get the 90 HP/ will never be without an SSR for the rest of my life/ May give up my 01 Prowler but never my SSR without already having another SSR in the drive.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The computer in the SSRs is smart enough to retard the timing if you use lower octane fuel, and it will run without incident, BUT it WILL produce less power.

The computer is programmed to try to use as much spark advance as safe, but once it detects any knock, it retards the timing aggressively.

So, you can use the lower octane ffuel, but you will have less power available.

Jim G

·
Registered
421 Posts
93 and 100

93 normally. And 100 octane Sunoco lead free race fuel about twice a year to clean things out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fuel

Mason57 said:
Timbrr,
When I left Karl Chevy. One of the guys there told me not to put that stuff in my 06 SSR. I think he said it was made from Cow Feed. :eek

Mason57,
When I left Karl Chevrolet. They said it was okay to use Ethonol because all us Iowans are corn fed :glol

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Timbrr said:
Mason57,
They said it was okay to use Ethonol because all us Iowans are corn fed :glol

Sounds like my Ex-Wife,but she lives in New York:leaving

1 - 20 of 34 Posts