Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading owners manual and and the words said we recommend premium fuel but you can use regular fuel but the performance will not be the same.
I couldnt believe that someone would put regular fuel in these babies.
Is there anyone out there who has and if so what was the performance like

·
Registered
357 Posts
I read the same info in the owner's manual and after a few premium fillups decided to try the regular unleaded. I am very happy with the performance of my SSR with regular unleaded and I pull a 1000 lb. trailer most of the time it is running. Getting 14 mpg city with a 6-spd 6.0 liter and it doesn't even ping. It is a mule.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used regular fuel. Considering the weight of the SSR's, they will never be hot rods, just fun to drive! Cant tell the difference in fuel, but again, not using it for a hot rod.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
kengodfrey said:
I used regular fuel. Considering the weight of the SSR's, they will never be hot rods, just fun to drive! Cant tell the difference in fuel, but again, not using it for a hot rod.
On the contrary, i think of my SSR as a Hot Rod Truck. Even if I do burn regular Unleaded in it. As long as I am not goosing it every where I go i get roughly 16.2 miles to the gallon in town. I am pretty happy with that. When I took it to The Woodward Cruise last summer, I was getting closer to 20 mpg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can't afford premium.

I have always use "regular" fuel, so I can not compare to a higher octane. However, I am satisfied with the performance on regular. I do not hot rod it and am getting 18 to 19.5 MPG.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Focks said:
On the contrary, i think of my SSR as a Hot Rod Truck. Even if I do burn regular Unleaded in it. As long as I am not goosing it every where I go i get roughly 16.2 miles to the gallon in town. I am pretty happy with that. When I took it to The Woodward Cruise last summer, I was getting closer to 20 mpg.

That will all change when you get that supercharger!! :yesnod

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey Crown the gas is on the right, stand on it . Buy the way you missed a good time this last weekend. Hope to see you next month.

Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Bad!

Sorry, I missed the gathering last weekend, but, Duty Calls. I am looking forward to the next one. The gas pedal is the one on the right, the fuel door is on the left. Have you priced tires lately?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I use only premium gas, check oil once a week, using Mobil one of course. wash once a week, Zaino once a month. Would you say "Betsy Blue "is a little spoiled? Oh yes, she has the garage while hubby's pickup sets in the driveway.:rolleyes:

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Rear Tire Special...

For OEM: (@ Tire Rack)

Front: 255/45HR19
Serv. Desc: 100H
Price: $175.00 each :eek
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Rear: 295/40HR20
Serv. Desc: 106H
Price: $139.00 each Special :cool
Estimated Availability: In Stoc

·
Registered
893 Posts
Same here

Crown N Coke said:
I have always use "regular" fuel, so I can not compare to a higher octane. However, I am satisfied with the performance on regular. I do not hot rod it and am getting 18 to 19.5 MPG.
Am getting about the same here....but on trips........up to and sometimes over 24:seeya

·
Registered
192 Posts
alycebob said:
I was reading owners manual and and the words said we recommend premium fuel but you can use regular fuel but the performance will not be the same.
I couldnt believe that someone would put regular fuel in these babies.
Is there anyone out there who has and if so what was the performance like
Although I don't know the specifics of how it does it, when the PCM either detects incipent knock due to low octane, it pulls timing out which is what results in lower power. I believe that if it senses enough incipent knock it will assume that the fuel is low octane and shift timing tables, again resulting in less advanced timing which reduces power. But, this shouldn't hurt the engine in anyway.

It is for this reason that I run 100 octane unleaded on the track. It doesn't get me any more power specially as a result of the fuel, but since the higher octane fuel is less prone to knock, we can run the car with more advanced timing which does get more power.

What those running regular unleaded might want to consider is that most gas companies don't put as many detergents in their low grade fuels as high grade fuels, thus your fuel injectors might get dirty faster and that will result in lowered performance, fuel mileage etc. You might want to consider periodically putting something like this in the car: AMSOIL P.I. Quick Shot

I buy those by the six pack and put one in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer which has the 5.3L V-8 in it about once a month. :cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts