Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ssr My SSR is going in on Monday for a full paint detail: clay baring-wet sanded and rubbed out. :ssr

Reasons why

1) dealership had scratched the clear coat when washing

2) orange peel in the paint from factory

3) Asphalt plant

#3 is the biggest reason why-I work very close to a asphalt plant . Last week we had all noticed a large amount of smoke in the air and could smell the asphalt also. The next day all of us had noticed that our cars were covered with small speckles of tar. Mineral Spirits did not work on removing the tar. So this is the next step.

We have a complaint in with the EPA and are waiting to here the results. Contemplating a class action law suit. This has been an on going problem. Now I have to cover my car while it sits in the parking lot or I may not be driving it to work anymore. I'm limited as it is living in Michgian due to the winter months. Maybe I'll start looking for another job.

Looking forward to getting her back as I hear the paint will pop and be as smooth as glass! :thumbs

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Color Sand

Just make sure they really know what they are doing. Any dirt under the sandpaper will scrath like crazy and if they sand through the clear you'll be looking for a painter. Don't ask me how I know..

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hdflstf said:
Just make sure they really know what they are doing. Any dirt under the sandpaper will scrath like crazy and if they sand through the clear you'll be looking for a painter. Don't ask me how I know..

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

The company that is doing it is well known for not doing this. My husband is currently restoring a 65 olds 442. The gentleman has 35 years plus in this and is a good freind of the hubby. I have already seen alot of his work and we are both confident. Your statement is exactly what he had told us. His company is the best around!

W

·
0 Posts
Hope it goes well for you

Sounds like you definitely have a case there, hotrodgirl. I'll be interested to hear how this plays out.

Can't wait to see pictures once the detailing is all done!

wipurplechick
"If I must get wrinkles, please let them be laugh lines!"

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Class Action

wipurplechick said:
Sounds like you definitely have a case there, hotrodgirl. I'll be interested to hear how this plays out.

wipurplechick

I will post what happens. I have to tell you I am extremely bummed out about it. Had to turn it into the insurance company for now until we get something settled.

I have asked the company to take pictures of the process. Being that we know the guy. I'm sure he will! Heard it will only be a 1 or 2 day turn around.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
wipurplechick said:

wipurplechick
Ditto :agree

Sounds like your paint finish will be like GLASS..:thumbs

RickSSR :cool

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
"Can't wait to see pictures once the detailing is all done!"

:agree :thumbs :agree

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Make sure if they repaint the whole car they REMOVE the back wheel protectors, then re-apply them after the job is finished. otherwise you will find your clear coat only goes up to them and it can begin to peal after a year, or if you happen to go to a .25 do it yourself carwash.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheel Protectors

Focks said:
Make sure if they repaint the whole car they REMOVE the back wheel protectors, then re-apply them after the job is finished. otherwise you will find your clear coat only goes up to them and it can begin to peal after a year, or if you happen to go to a .25 do it yourself carwash.

Thanks Focks I'll keep that in mind "good advice" if it needs to be repainted.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Heard from the shop today:

They acid washed my SSR to remove the tar. Mike (Autometrcis) said hood is all done and it came out great! Body has already been clay blocked and is now in wet sanding. Mike said paint on the SSR is extremely thin. They will be using a softer sanding method. Should be rubbed out by tomorrow.

EPA came in last Friday at work. Dosen't seem like we are getting anywhere with them. Not to many of our questions got answered. Will be following up with them. We are in the process of getting signatures from surrounding compaines who have also had their vehicles covered with tar. Will be using these for class action law suit.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soft Paint

I can't understand why the paint would be thin on a $50,000 vehicle. Those cheap bas****.
My body guy told me this afternoon not that the paint is thin it's soft. Like a hand painted car not hard like a factory finish. All the SSR's are painted in booths not on an assembly line.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
SSR Returned Today

OK got my baby back from the body shop! WOW I can't believe how good she looks.

Honestly,this is how it should have looked when I drove it of the lot!

I was blown away when I saw it. The paint has a very smooth look to it and WOW does it shine. :thumbs :thumbs :cool

Well worth the trouble of not having it for three days.

I haven't taken any pics yet but I will soon.

1HOT12C-If your still thinking of doing it. I highly recommend it! Just make sure you have a really good body man. The paint is soft and needs someone that really knows what they are doing.

Just bumming out cause I can't drive it to work anymore :mad
Don't want to take anymore chances of having it covered with tar dust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts