Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
9,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having idle and cut off issues with my 25k mi. 2006. Did a search on the broken wire with the underhood fusebox and noticed several of the posts mentioned codes coming up when this condition occurs. My question is...do codes always come up when this wire condition happens??
My engine idles and sometimes "stumbles" and will sometimes dies. It will then start right back up. No codes thrown. What could this possibly be? HELP!!!!
TIA
David

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
:unsure:
You have been a member since 2009, assuming you had the ride when you joined. Now only 25K miles:oops:

Next time you can get it started again and maybe get up to speed, stomp on it and drive it like you stole it. Then stop and put some premium gas in it. Not getting enough road time and maybe a fuel problem. Try it.;)

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
9,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your symptoms are not consistent with the fuse box wire Issue.
When the wire issue occurs the engine will run about 30 minutes, shut down and can‘t restart until after cooling down about 30 minutes.

Check the battery connections, battery ground connections, replace the Ignition switch.
=============
@ED in FL.....
Thanks for your expertise, Ed. I replaced the battery---it was 6 years old---and made sure all contacts were fresh and clean. The ignition switch should be changed out at this point??? I remember Dictator's words---"everything goes through the ignition switch". Is there anything else it could be in addition?

THX, David

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Changing the ignition switch is a good idea regardless, and it could very well be a contributor to your problem (although without other symptoms it is more doubtful). I figured everyone that's been on this site for any length of time would have changed theirs by now. It isn't difficult at all.

I would check fuse 27...not that the fuse would be bad since the problem is intermittent, but make sure the contacts are clean and the fuse is good and tight with no corrosion. Fuse 27 powers the ECM and pulling this fuse while the truck is running will instantly kill the engine. If the connection at fuse 27 is intermittent it will cause the condition you are describing.

However, it is most likely a fuel issue; the fuel pump itself or the fuel pump relay. Check those connections at the relay and swap the relay with another of the same type. If you frequently let the truck sit with ethanol for long periods of time or run it often with less than 1/4 tank of gas (the fuel cools the pump) then this would point to your fuel pump itself.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,175 Posts
I would agree with some form of fuel issue. After my issues on my '06, which probably gets only a few hundred miles a year, instead of filling it up, I only get enough to show 1/2 full. Then when it gets down to 1/4 mark, put enough to get back at 1/2. My thinking is replacing the gas BEFORE it gets old/stale. Kathys '04 SSR and the Silverado are the most used.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,494 Posts
@Warrior=='06
I repair the fuse box wiring. I’ve had both of our fail around 50k miles. Upon disassembly I found one had been poorly repaired by the previous owner. I’ve also lost a fuel pump and familiar with those symptoms and have done the replacement. Send me a PM if interested in discussing and a local fix.

Robert

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
193 Posts
If only my pos 05 would run long enough to get to the dealer to replace the fuel pump. Have to repair fuse block copper wires omg.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,494 Posts
If only my pos 05 would run long enough to get to the dealer to replace the fuel pump. Have to repair fuse block copper wires omg.
The dealer won’t fix the wire, only replace the fuse box for $600 last I heard. The fuse box will fail when the R and or ambient air temp gets warm enough, and then will be “fixed’ when it cools off. When it is in failure state the R will turn over but not attempt to ‘catch’ and start. If you think, you’ve got that problem and want to discuss, shoot me a conversation with your number and I’ll give you a call. Robert

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
193 Posts
Oh I'm way past that, I've taken the assembly out and I thought I thoroughly cleaned the board and did not see any breaks, now I'm getting a P2021 drive train code and so I'm pretty sure there is a hairline break I did not see. Here are some photos...the last photo I sprays some anti corrosive cleaner and then sprayed contact cleaner and blew dried with compressed air. Seemed like I got all the corrosive stuff off, but the wire strands must have been weakened by the corrosion. They need to make that box waterproof...even without the cover. My cover was off in the back seat when I got the car...no telling.
I buy semi restorable cars and thought this would make a good project since there is a big support base for these cars...but its a lot of stuff to sort out...so far.

It overheats too, and I'm getting the oem fan from Mike Az...questoin: do you think the fuse box corriosion may impact the timing of when the computer calls the fans ( or fans, the dufus put in two fans, they look like auxiliery fans so thats why I'm pulling them out) ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,175 Posts
I don't have an answer for your question, but, the "broken wire" not start issue does not set/give a code. The engine just goes dead/stops, at operating temp, all of a sudden. Then just turns over and over but won't fire/start. until it cools down, then repeats.

Nick

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,290 Posts
Break was caused during manufacturing of fuse box, not GM.

Wire "pulls" apart when engine compartment reaches operating temp.

BUT it is not the wire, it is the plastic fuse box "expanses" which cause wire to separate.

R will run about 45 minutes and quit. Quickest way to get back on the road, remove both fuse box covers to "cool" and keep fuse box cool until you get home.

GM did not find this break, it was the Florida East Coast Mafia, i.e. Art Bonadies and Marty.

Yes, I do repairs all the time. No rime or reason for which fuse box but MOST are 05. Some 06 but NONE of 03/04.

Dicktator

I Remove broken wire.
Replace with NEW wire and eliminate bends and turns.
Test and send back.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,290 Posts
Mine clearly has corrosion due to water ingress...
Corrosion is NOT good. Care of fuse box should be top of your list. Especially if you are near water.

Two things make your R run, Electric and Fuel

I have and do pull fuses and relays, one by one, clean and replace. Make sure "jack" screws are tight.

Make sure Battery Neg cable is clean and tight or replace.

Just me, I don't like problems that could be avoided.

Dicktator

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts