Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
193 Posts
This is the condition I got it, now I have to restore it to new condition...and this corrosion fuse box problem is pretty weird. I've never saw that on any of my project cars, and I've had plenty, from VW bugs and chirrocos, to Dodge slant six (Cam, 4bblholly, Dana axle), to Chevelles, to Nitros WRX Subarus, to Supercharged Tiburons, Mini Coopers, to BMWs... 135i twin turbo is the best one I have currently. But this??? Not a great manufactured car.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,900 Posts
Mine clearly has corrosion due to water ingress...
Yes, I have ran into that on quite a few boxes and one of the reasons I do not do have stock on had to ship out for quick replacement. It would mean some people get a clean unit for a corroded one and some would get a corroded one for a clean one. I am sure if you had a nice clean unit you would not want a corroded one in return. Even if it was cleaned, having one that had no corrosion is much better than having one that was and was cleaned. Same for ABS and speedometer.

·
Registered
2005 aqua blur 114k miles with the ball joint blues....bringing it back from the dead.
193 Posts
I scrubbed mine clean with contact cleaner and wire toothbrush air blasted, dry...sprayed deoxIT anti-corrosive for electronics, let sit, then spayed again with contact cleaner because the deoxIT left a film on the surface which is a lubricate, but did not think that was a good idea so I cleaned it again with contact cleaner, blew compressed air over it to dry, put it all together and it ran good till it got too hot and threw a code P2021 so that relay 42 lost current or grounded/shorted? anyway, it lost power and got that code for the first time, so maybe I pulled/cracked a trace wire as I was scrubbing, causing another issue while fixing the other :( Anyway will pull back out and inspect maybe apply solder and see.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I scrubbed mine clean with contact cleaner and wire toothbrush air blasted, dry...sprayed deoxIT anti-corrosive for electronics, let sit, then spayed again with contact cleaner because the deoxIT left a film on the surface which is a lubricate, but did not think that was a good idea so I cleaned it again with contact cleaner, blew compressed air over it to dry, put it all together and it ran good till it got too hot and threw a code P2021 so that relay 42 lost current or grounded/shorted? anyway, it lost power and got that code for the first time, so maybe I pulled/cracked a trace wire as I was scrubbing, causing another issue while fixing the other :( Anyway will pull back out and inspect maybe apply solder and see.
=========================================

Hmmm....

■□■ ~ WOW, don't mind me. Hope you get your problem fixed!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its the fuse box, seems disconnecting battery, then removing all the fuses/relays, then spraying the box with contact cleaner let soak and then blasting with compressed air all with the battery disconnected is a good first step for others having this problem, it can certainly help.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,124 Posts
I believe you might have a typo. I cannot find P2021 but I can find P2101
DTC P2101 Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

Looking though the code chart i find that if the Accelerator pedal sensor 1 and 2 angle parameters do not increase and decrease with pedal movement to check ECM2 fuse for voltage on both sides. The ttached digram shows the ECM2 fuse

ECM2 fuse is one of the fuses that is fed from relay 42. It is relay 42 that shuts off when the wire heats up and opens up. As this relay shuts down it can cause different codes to set. (note the green highlighted fuses in this handout for an 05-06 underhood fuse box) these are the fuses that will loose power when the wire causes a shutdown of relay 42.

So this code could in fact be due to a broken wire in fuse box. You can make a temporary jumper wire to provide power to these fuses and see if you driveabilty issue goes away. Again this should be a temporary fix only.
Details to make one of these is provided in this thread

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,410 Posts
David your Truck has been sitting a lot for the past year. How old is the gas? When was the last time you drove it to get up to full temp?
Greg

Reactions: nj6969

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
David your Truck has been sitting a lot for the past year. How old is the gas? When was the last time you drove it to get up to full temp?
Greg
==========================
Greg, ran out of options so had it towed to the dealership. (Buckalew) Battery is 6 years old and completely gone.

And yes, I have my checkbook and credit cards ready. :cry:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,159 Posts
==========================
Greg, ran out of options so had it towed to the dealership. (Buckalew) Battery is 6 years old and completely gone.

And yes, I have my checkbook and credit cards ready. :cry:
Does this mean your problem is solved? Hope so. Oh----and sorry this thread got so out of line, too bad there isn't a way to keep them on track 😔

Nick

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Good thing interest rates are real low for that second mortgage.
if you have any issues again call me. There are two independent shops in the area that I have used and trust.
===========================
Hmmm.....

Yep. Its only money...RIGHT?!?*!?!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry about the thread getting hijacked or so it seems...since there was no solution provided its always good to exhaust all possible conditions and rule them out. As I continue to correct problems on my ssr, the stack of error codes has diminished one by one until now it seems to settle on P2101 and is in cripple mode...

Let us know what the shop did so we can have that knowledge to store in our mental parking lot...

UPDATE, Ignition switch replaced...cleaned corrosion from fuse box, all good.

Dan

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hmmm....

Well, as I feared the dealership where I had my R towed to cannot find where my truck's gremlins are coming from. I got a call from the Service Mgr. yesterday and he told me that they are now in contact with GM Technical Assistance Support for help.

WOW....wonder how much that's going to cost me!?!??! -- :mad:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,482 Posts
Hmmm....

Well, as I feared the dealership where I had my R towed to cannot find where my truck's gremlins are coming from. I got a call from the Service Mgr. yesterday and he told me that they are now in contact with GM Technical Assistance Support for help.

WOW....wonder how much that's going to cost me!?!??! -- :mad:
FWIW: My Z06 ECU “took a turn” a few months back while cruising down the road. The DIC said, Service Brakes, then the car began to lurch, the check engine light came on, and the engine went into limp mode and would not even idle. We coasted to the side of FM 518. I had it flat backed to the local dealer and told them the symptoms and then said, the ECU has an issue. After a week and a half with their Corvette expert, and many calls with the GM engineers, they worked their way to the ECU and finally replaced it. The tech felt so bad he didn’t charge me labor to do it. I ended up with a new MAF, MAP, throttle body and ECU and a bill for $3500.

I hope yours goes better.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts