Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Styles Sport Roadster
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone in Las Vegas nv to help me to fix the wire that breaks . I don't trust it as i have one broken before . There is a lot open spaces in Nevada .

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Dick doesn't Ed Borlan @ED in FLorida make a jumper to correct the bad wire? I remember him doing my fuse box at the Jacksonville rally. He sells the jumper with instructions for a quick permanent fix.

David

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
fixes

Dick doesn't Ed Borlan @ED in FLorida make a jumper to correct the bad wire? I remember him doing my fuse box at the Jacksonville rally. He sells the jumper with instructions for a quick permanent fix.

David
Thank goodness for Dick & ED & all of the people who keep our trucks running when Gm & it's dealers can't...........BIRD

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,344 Posts

David
I have one of those setups. It is for use to get home and not for full time use as it bypasses some fuses and relays. That is made clear by ED in the instructions that come with it.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,311 Posts
I have one of those setups. It is for use to get home and not for full time use as it bypasses some fuses and relays. That is made clear by ED in the instructions that come with it.
=================================
Agree. :agree

There is a "temporary jumper wire fix" and a "permanent fix" that Ed performs when you send him your fusebox. :thumbs

★★★ The permanent repair is especially of interest to all '05 and '06 owners.

===============
David :black:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I have to disagree with BlueStreak & Warrior=='06. When Ed did my fuse box at the Jacksonville Rally he drilled a hole in the fuse box and insert a wire. He told me it was a permanent fix. I have an 05 and was worried about the issue. Hopefully Ed will see these post and be able to enlighten us all.

David

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,344 Posts
=================================
Agree. :agree

There is a "temporary jumper wire fix" and a "permanent fix" that Ed performs when you send him your fusebox. :thumbs

★★★ The permanent repair is especially of interest to all '05 and '06 owners.

===============

I have to disagree with BlueStreak & Warrior=='06. When Ed did my fuse box at the Jacksonville Rally he drilled a hole in the fuse box and insert a wire. He told me it was a permanent fix. I have an 05 and was worried about the issue. Hopefully Ed will see these post and be able to enlighten us all.

David
I think Warrior and I are referring to the Temp fix highlighted above and Maybe I misunderstood the initial request. I do not believe that Ed was suggesting others tackle the drilling that he is doing as a permanent fix.If I am wrong then I must say I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,311 Posts

David
================================
Yes, Ed did the permanent fix for you as he had your fusebox right there---you were both in Jax. I live a good 1,000 miles away and must remove my fusebox from my truck & send it to him if I want the same permanent fix.

================

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I believe he sells the permanent fix which comes with a template that fits over the fuse box so you know where to drill the small hole. It comes with the wire that gets inserted and directions. I suggest you contact @ED in FL. I would pm him at Ed in FL

David

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Temporary Jumper
This is not a permanent fix. It is intended as means of getting an 05 or 06 "R" with a Underhood Fuse Box issue to run in order to get the "R" home or to a shop for a permanent fix. Due to a lack of interest, I have stopped making the temporary jumper.

Permanent Fix
My permanent fix involves making an opening in the fuse box to access a terminal (the opening is made with a battery powered soldering iron - not by drilling) a wired connector is inserted into the now exposed terminal and the wire connects to the 42 relay. This permanently bypasses the fuse box wire that can open circuit and shut the engine down.
This is not a DIY fix. I can do this fix with the fuse box in place or you can remove the fuse box and ship it to me.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,195 Posts
Ed, just curious, I assume this is different from, and preferred to, removing and rerouting the original wire?

Nick

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Ed, just curious, I assume this is different from, and preferred to, removing and rerouting the original wire?

Nick
Art Bonadies deserves all of the credit for researching, testing and finding the wire issue.

Art, Dicktator and Dragon2u all prefer to disassemble the fuse box, remove the wire and replace it with a new wire with slightly different routing. This is a very good fix with no visible sign the work done.

My process is easier, faster and 100% effective.
With my process, when you remove the fuse box covers, you will see the electrical connector and the wire going to the 42 relay.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Thanks I Will let you know when i can do it . Soon i hope . Where can we do it? I live at Rancho and Lone Mountain ? Let me know did you do yours. Thanks Chuck Styles.
Hi Chuck, I'm in Henderson. I was thinking we could remove the fuse block and send it to Ed for the repair and then when it gets back install it.

I have an old 04 so it has not been a problem on them, at least so far.

Call me to discuss details. 702-277-6499 Thanks Jerry Ostgard

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,496 Posts
Only the 05/06 SSR have Fuse Box problem.

And as Ed said the credit goes to Art Bonadies aka abonadies and Marty aka Marty, THEY found the "cracked" wire NOT GM.

Dicktator

1. Ed Borland Fix.
2. "Cracked wire" find under magnifying glass.
3. This is where they ALL crack.
4. New wire, New routing.
5. Fuse Box has to be taken apart to replace New wire.

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,222 Posts
Thanks I Will let you know when i can do it . Soon i hope . Where can we do it? I live at Rancho and Lone Mountain ? Let me know did you do yours. Thanks Chuck Styles.
It's really not hard to do at all, I can walk you through it or watch you via video on phone or laptop if you have issues. I would just replace the wire internally, more of a factory style repair and then you don't have a cracked wire inside the fuse box. Just takes a few minutes to do the work with simple hand tools.

GM has same issues Trailblazers and Corvettes, all have the same exact problem although different affected systems, and it has been discussed for many years on many different forums. Kudos to the boys that found it for the R, but in GMs defense, the problem did not occur until many years after production.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Only the 05/06 SSR have Fuse Box problem.

And as Ed said the credit goes to Art Bonadies aka abonadies and Marty aka Marty, THEY found the "cracked" wire NOT GM.

Dicktator

1. Ed Borland Fix.
2. "Cracked wire" find under magnifying glass.
3. This is where they ALL crack.
4. New wire, New routing.
5. Fuse Box has to be taken apart to replace New wire.
Guys what are the specs for the replacement wire and where do you get good wire?
Thanks, Jerry

1 - 20 of 36 Posts