Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it appears the demise of our beloved SSR's is imminent I worry about the availability of SSR parts down the road. I made the mistake of undertaking a restoration of a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner a few years back. This was the retractable metal, convertible top that Ford made for three yrs. (1957, 1958, & 1959). A total of approx. 48,000 were manafactured in that 3 yr. period. What I learned the hard way was that getting parts for that retractable hardtop was, for all purposes, impossible. It had like a total of 42 solenoids, switches, and electrical components. I finally said "no mas" and gave up on the restoration and sold it to an acquaintance who is still working on it and nowhere nearly finished.

These specialized top components are what concerns me most about the SSR. The running gear is pretty much standard GM but the body parts and top parts are strictly SSR. With the Craft Center closing in Lansing will there be any other mfg. facility that can produce these specialized parts? The top looks like a potential nightmare problem if major troubles should ever arise. How long does GM have to be able to supply parts for a particular model or is there a specified mandated "supply period"?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
First...ASC makes the convertible top. So even though Lansing won't be there ASC facilities will likely be around a while longer.
Second...cars are supposed to have a 10 year part supply period. (I believe)

·
Banned
183 Posts
Yes I am worried about replacement top and body panels and interior parts also. They made so few SSRs its even going to be hard to find a junked one. The drive train is a no brainer

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
RedTn.SSR said:
Since it appears the demise of our beloved SSR's is imminent I worry about the availability of SSR parts down the road. I made the mistake of undertaking a restoration of a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner a few years back. This was the retractable metal, convertible top that Ford made for three yrs. (1957, 1958, & 1959). A total of approx. 48,000 were manafactured in that 3 yr. period. What I learned the hard way was that getting parts for that retractable hardtop was, for all purposes, impossible. It had like a total of 42 solenoids, switches, and electrical components. I finally said "no mas" and gave up on the restoration and sold it to an acquaintance who is still working on it and nowhere nearly finished.

These specialized top components are what concerns me most about the SSR. The running gear is pretty much standard GM but the body parts and top parts are strictly SSR. With the Craft Center closing in Lansing will there be any other mfg. facility that can produce these specialized parts? The top looks like a potential nightmare problem if major troubles should ever arise. How long does GM have to be able to supply parts for a particular model or is there a specified mandated "supply period"?
I had a '59 Skyliner for about 20 years that I just sold. I don't agree with you about parts being hard to find. There wasn't a thing I couldn't get for that car. Did you join the IFRC? (International Ford Retractable Club) Hemmings motor news, Carlisle Flea Market, and even ebay now. BTW...if you have the shop manual, the top mechanism, although complex, is VERY easy to troubleshoot, and repair. These cars used simple switches and solenoids, screwjacks and motors with flex cables. I don't have an SSR yet, (will soon), but I imagine there must be some Integrated Circuits, computer controls, etc. for the top mechanism and where there is a will, there is a way to make just about anything.

Roger

·
Registered
50 Posts
I understand your concern and not sure if this will help but the new Pontiac G6 convertable that comes out soon from all I have seen has a top very simliar to the SSR. It is a hard top convertable with one button operation. I would wonder how different could it be and perhaps the parts would be the same.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Yes - Volvo's new S40 has a hard top convertable - Lexus - MB - too. The SSR is in a rare class.

VERY different tops for these - compared to the SSR. With the "TOP STACK" of the SSR stowing away vertically - in two pieces, we are unique in that we get the full use of the bed when the top is down. The other hard tops I've seen stow away flat and take up most of the trunk space.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wouldn'y worry

There will be plenty of parts for years to come. Cripes, you can get Delorean parts still in the original box. Don't worry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts