Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they going to stop making this baby or what? Didn't the original plan call for only a 5 year plan "to insure owner's value"? I swear I remember GM saying that somewhere. I hope they are not going to whore this baby and go back on their promise.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Me Too

I also heard a five year run. I hope GM sticks to it. I would hate to see them do to the SSR what Chrysler did to the PT Cruiser.

T

·
0 Posts
I hope they make these forever and make tons of them so everyone can drive one to have the fun that I have had driving it. Its a bad ass truck and should be put in to permeanent production with higher volume and lower price. To answer your question the plant they are making the SSR at answers your question its a limited production plant and makes different vehicles every few years, hopefully they'll switch production to a trailblazer plant or make a plant for the SSR alone. I bet in a few years though the HHR or Chevrolet SS will take the spot of the SSR at the michigan plant. If you wanted a low volume stuck up car you should have bought a piece of **** foreign car like a lambo, ferarri, or porsche.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
What Chrysler did.

beer100 said:
Did you mean PT-Cruiser or Prowler? Either way, I need a little help, what was it Chrysler did?
When the PT Cruiser first came out most people thought it would be a limited production vehicle. They were retro and unusual and got a lot of attention, and then Chrysler made a million of them and they are no longer the attention getter they were originally. I enjoy having something a little different but I have no desire for a foreign car or any of the ultra expensive exotics.

T

·
0 Posts
the pt-cruiser wasn't cool in the first place its a mini-mini van or stationwagon. I wouldn't take one if someone was giving them away, unless I could sell it and buy a ssr:).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Now, now tp4ever84. The Cruser is a neat vehicle. For that price bracket, it's at the top of my list.

I kind of thought they were going to be a little bigger than they turned out to be. Come to think of it, if they were scaled up to the same wheel base/track as the SSR, that's the size I had been expecting.

Matter of fact, if it had been the size and power of the SSR... mebby not, I really like convertables.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tp4ever84 said:
I hope they make these forever and make tons of them so everyone can drive one to have the fun that I have had driving it. Its a bad ass truck and should be put in to permeanent production with higher volume and lower price. To answer your question the plant they are making the SSR at answers your question its a limited production plant and makes different vehicles every few years, hopefully they'll switch production to a trailblazer plant or make a plant for the SSR alone. I bet in a few years though the HHR or Chevrolet SS will take the spot of the SSR at the michigan plant. If you wanted a low volume stuck up car you should have bought a piece of **** foreign car like a lambo, ferarri, or porsche.

I must be in a parallel universe. "POS Porsche Ferarri, and lambo". Get real. I'd give up my SSR any dau for any of those (except a Boxter).

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Cruisin'

beer100 said:
Now, now tp4ever84. The Cruser is a neat vehicle. For that price bracket, it's at the top of my list.

I kind of thought they were going to be a little bigger than they turned out to be. Come to think of it, if they were scaled up to the same wheel base/track as the SSR, that's the size I had been expecting.

Matter of fact, if it had been the size and power of the SSR... mebby not, I really like convertables.
I enjoyed my Cruiser very much - cool car and intelligently engineered inside. It was doomed when I drove it into the Chevy dealer "just to check out" the SSR. It never made it home again. But you're right - in it's price class it's an excellent choice. I'd get the convertible if I bought another one. Thinking about doing that for the SO.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How Many Will They Make?

The marketplace, not GM, will decide how many will be built.

Just look at the the dealer lots.... they're on thin ice already. The 6 liter 6 speed will stimulate some incremental sales but based on cost/price and utility, the market appeal is very, very narrow.

That said..... the masses don't know what they're missin'.

Take 'em out of the garage and drive 'em!

R

·
0 Posts
An employee I know who builds our trucks, lives in Grand Rapids Mi. (1 hour from plant) had concern as to what vehicle would be built after SSR and felt it would be a 3 year run, 03, 04, 05. Time will tell. My thoughts: With an all wheel drive SSR, I think more vehicles could be sold as they could be driven year round in bad weather areas. How many people can justify a $45k two wheel drive pickup?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Market is Speaking

Would seem, based on the number of unsold SSr's in inventory, that there are not nearly as many as some people at Chevrolet Division dreamed there would be. This, combined with some very greedy folks at the retail level, is not doing us all any good. :seeya

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ssr

GM doesn't advertise the SSR because they must be selling them at the rate they can produce them. The price is high, but that is what keeps the SSR so rare. I was permitted to place my SSR in a car show last weekend. It was interesting to watch people pass by classic old cars but stop at my SSR and ask all kinds of questions. We certainly don't want the SSR to go the way of the PT. I hope GM continues to handle the SSR just as they have been. Let's face it, we bought a $20,000 Blazer with a beautiful body. :flag :flag

·
Registered
152 Posts
Production about twice sales

Not sure why GM is not advertising the SSr much but it is still appearing in a lot of magazines and billboards in major markets. The reality is that production thus far is over 12 thousand units and is continuing at the rate of about 70 per day. Reported official sales are below 6 thousand units which means over 6 thousand units in dealer/GM inventory. :nono

According to reporting agencies the industry relies on, there was nearly 170 days of inventory in dealers hands at the end of June. SSr is NOT selling well and some people are concerned and some very upset as GM has not moved to assist with financing/rebates. This is why we are seeing dealers now willing to sell at or near cost. If they were selling the dealers would be holding out and getting MSRP or more, as they were at this time last year!

:leaving

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Rebates

I think it would be very 'funny' to see a GM rebate of $1000 with a market adjusted price at the dealer still over $5000 (which according to other posts are still out there). Has anyone ever seen this before?

·
Registered
152 Posts
$5000 over MSRP is NOT the market

There may well be dealers asking for market premiums of $5000 on the SSr but they are not likely to sell their inventory. :rolleyes:

A quick trip to eBay or to most of the larger market dealers will find you a truck for well below MSRP, the issue is how much. In my view, no reputable dealer should be asking for a premium in the current environment. The dealers I have personally spoken to are anxous to rid themselves of the inventory on hand and are willing to cut price to the bone to sell their SSr inventory... for example an email I rec'd Friday:

Sorry for the delay, I was out of the office on business. I appreciate the email back. We are looking to sell the unit. I have included the invoice on the unit. It will give you all the options on the SSR. Thanks and please let me know. We would sell this unit at invoice to you. That is the 43,178.00 figure, we do not charge any doc fees or any prep fees. Thanks again and please let em kwow if you have any questions.
:thumbs

The salesperson sent me the GM invoice. I know he is legitimate and reputable as one of my friends bought his Corvette from him last year and found this dealer and salesperson to be 100%. BTW, the MSRP on this ultra colored SSr is $46400.00...

:seeya

1 - 20 of 20 Posts