Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting an SSR since before production began and now I'm about ready to buy. I had a '59 Ford Skyliner (retractable) that I just sold so I could buy an SSR. I was wondering if I could solicit some opinions on the 6spd vs the auto. I love sticks, but as I get older not sure if I'll enjoy it as much as the auto. The auto has the traction control and is cheaper. Is the 6 speed THAT good?? Also, I live in a rural upstate NY area where few SSR's are seen. I haven't seen the aqua blur in person, but the paint samples I have seen vary between almost green and others more like blue. Can someone tell me if the aqua blur is more green than blue? I prefer green. The orange might also be a possibility. At any rate, I'm glad I found this forum and have enjoyed reading the posts. Hope to learn a lot more by following this group.

Thanks,
Roger

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Roger, as far as the Aqua Blur goes, I suppose you can say its more green then blue. I have one, and personally, I the fact that the metalic flakes in it keep others guessing. Btw, if the sun hits it just right, its neither Green or Blue, its purple. At night its sometimes looks dark Blue or even Black. Think about it,.. all those different colors for one price. :thumbs

I am sure you will get a lot of others to comment on this as well.

I have the automatic, even though I am familiar with how a stick shift works. the reason i got the automatic, is because I am 6'5, and I wanted the extra leg room. :)

As afar as the Orange goes,.. well you might be waiting awhile for that. Go Aqua Blur. Its a real eye catcher, and for the price you are getting more then one color.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Welcome … someone on here has had both auto / 6speed maybe he can give you a comparison. Sold a classic to buy a future classic with warranty Eh!

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the '59 retractable for almost 20 years, but not real practical for long trips. Very limited luggage space with the roof down, no AC, and many other down sides. The SSR seems the perfect cruiser for 2...plus my wife will enjoy it a lot more than the '59.

Roger

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
rjnolfe said:
I've been wanting an SSR since before production began and now I'm about ready to buy. I had a '59 Ford Skyliner (retractable) that I just sold so I could buy an SSR. I was wondering if I could solicit some opinions on the 6spd vs the auto. I love sticks, but as I get older not sure if I'll enjoy it as much as the auto. The auto has the traction control and is cheaper. Is the 6 speed THAT good?? Also, I live in a rural upstate NY area where few SSR's are seen. I haven't seen the aqua blur in person, but the paint samples I have seen vary between almost green and others more like blue. Can someone tell me if the aqua blur is more green than blue? I prefer green. The orange might also be a possibility. At any rate, I'm glad I found this forum and have enjoyed reading the posts. Hope to learn a lot more by following this group.

Thanks,
Roger
Hey Roger

I have an auto and love it of course I have been shifting a ups truck for 20 yrs so you can see why I went this way. If you are thinking about the street racing factor on 6spd vs. auto you can also reprogram the shift points on the auto, thats less work on a race and more enjoyable time seeing the loser in your rear view mirror :glol :glol :glol
As far as the Aqua-Blur its more blue until you are under different lights then you can see the green. My $.02 is I would wait for the Orange and not only have the only SSR in your area but a color most don't have at all.. :cool :cool :cool
What ever your decide welcome to the family you will enjoy your :ssr !!!

Happy :ssr ing
:seeya
Tony

·
Premium Member
9,328 Posts
When my wife first saw the Aqua Blur, she was totally in love. Looking at it on a bright, sunny day, it's spectacular.

The flake is a beautiful emerald green (my description, so may be off on shade), and very rich. I read some info on how the paint was done. The purple tint is in the clearcoat, and overlays the metalflake. Looking at it directly gives you the green - the purple shows up when viewed from an angle. The SSR is the perfect canvas for that paint - so many curves that the color keeps changing.

You would need to see it in person to appreciate how good it looks.

Regarding the 6 speed vs auto - wish I could remember who did the indepth analysis on it, but it's in the archives. Very well done by a member who owns both. Do a search for 6 speed, and it should come up. It's probably 6 months or so ago.

Ray

·
Registered
170 Posts
3 Pedals vs. 2

I can certainly understand having an auto and my wife would prefer it! But on my first trip with our otter, I was impressed with the 6th gear, at 70 mph it just lopes along at 1800 rpm and at 80 just 2000 , my inst. gas mileage was 21 WOW!!! I love the stick for total control when I want it 2otters :ssr

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Go for the BLUR!!!

So many people have commented on my color since I have gotten it. I love the color, currently looking into striping or some type of graphics for it. It is not ordinary like the other solid colors.

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
As to the color, you had better really want the orange. You are going to pay a huge premium for it, since the 05's are being heavily discounted. You have a nice choice of colors currently availble, and for the savings, you could do a lot of custom work. If you plan on holding the car for as long as your other classic, the 06 year won't mean much in the years to come verse the 05. Since you live in a rural area, I would definetly "NOT" get the 6 speed. (YEA RIGHT) No traffic, you probably have some winding roads. It can get quite bothersome to downshift from 4th to 3rd going around a corner and punch it, feeling those wide 20'ers grab the pavement and hear your wifes head hit the back of the headrest AGAIN and then have to listen to her say "DON'T YOU EVER GET TIRED OF THAT". Yes, get the automatic, or leave your wife at home, like I do!

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,598 Posts
Great looking SSR!

BIG JIM said:
AQUA BLUR ....AQUA BLUR...AQUA BLUR...as far as automatic vs 6 speed I prefer the automatic
Hey Big Jim,

You have got the angle and composition down perfect in that shot! :thumbs

BTW: I just LOVE the color Aqua Blurrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Depends

If This Is Your Fun Vehicle , Not Your Every Day Driver , The 6-speed Is The Only Way To Go. If This Is A Daily Driver , Then You Will Need The Automatic For Those Hard Days And Traffic.

As For Color , Choose What You Like , You Won't Be Happy With Anything Else.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Personally, on a sports machine like the SSR I like the closer feeling of involvement with a manual. I had a very fast modified Ford Lightning and got bored with the auto. The SSR is probably going to turn out to be my favorite vehicle after over 45 years of driving, but if it didn't come in a manual I probably would have by passed it by. I dont see much traffic wher I live, but when I lived in traffic areas, I usually had a manual and only occassionally was inconvenienced by it. The shifter on the SSR is very smooth and almost finds the next gear by itself.
All of this of course is just my opinion, and I have no judgements regarding those who like autos. With the auto, your right food gets to have all the fun! :)
If you have been driving performance cars cars for awhile, you probably already know inside which transmission will suit you. Drive both, and go with your gut feeling.

·
Registered
442 Posts
shiftless?

Roger, Are you old and shiftless? If not, the choice is obvious. It will be less obvious when the SSR gets the 6 speed automatic that GM will be putting into MANY vehicles very soon. Still cannot decide? Then get a new Corvette convert with a 6 speed automatic.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Danko said:
Roger, Are you old and shiftless? If not, the choice is obvious. It will be less obvious when the SSR gets the 6 speed automatic that GM will be putting into MANY vehicles very soon. Still cannot decide? Then get a new Corvette convert with a 6 speed automatic.
If you consider 56 old...age really isn't question. I've got a Dodge Cummins Ram with 5 speed manual. Auto was a $950 option on the Dodge and it had less power with auto. With the SSR the manual is an $815 option and you give up traction control. The manual SSR would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY better. I just don't see the value in the manual SSR. I also haven't seen any indication that the SSR will be getting a 6 speed auto any time soon.

Corvette??? No thanks. I want a comfortable touring vehicle that will hold a lot of luggage and has a retractable hard top for a reasonable price. I can't think of anything that delivers better than the SSR.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
As I said earlier, we all have different likes and opinions. The VALUE to me in the 6 speed is that I genuinely enjoy shifting, if you don't, then the auto is for you.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Otter said:
I can certainly understand having an auto and my wife would prefer it! But on my first trip with our otter, I was impressed with the 6th gear, at 70 mph it just lopes along at 1800 rpm and at 80 just 2000 , my inst. gas mileage was 21 WOW!!! I love the stick for total control when I want it 2otters :ssr
Could not agree more. More control with 6 speed and great mileage. There is nothing, I repeat nothing like going through the gears. However, if it were not a cruise and show truck then an automatic might be better. The clutch is a featherweight compared to the Z06 and Cobra Mustang.

Aqua Blurrr is the "nuts", like someone said lots of colors for one price. Until I saw it inperson, I never wanted "Blue", but it is not "blue", but a rainbow of colors.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Flassh said:
The purple tint is in the clearcoat, and overlays the metalflake. Ray

My car is about ready to be clearcoated from the custom work.. was just checking to see if this was for real. I love my custom work but want to enjoy that slight purple color on the blur.

Time is of the essence, so please respond a.s.a.p. thanks

Mike

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bought our (auto) SSR from a leasing company owner who had owned it for about 2 months, then found another one, virtually identically equipped, with manual. (He only buys at auctions.)

I ran into him again about 3 months after he got his 6-speed, and he told me that he sold it --- too much shifting in his daytime driving around the Dallas metro area. He was on the lookout for another silver SSR automatic to buy, but I refused to sell ours back to him!

What I REALLY WISH the SSR offered is an auto-stick: my 300M had a 4-speed autostick, and my wife's Benz has a 5-speed version. Now THAT'S the way to go!

·
Banned
183 Posts
rjnolfe said:

Thanks,
Roger
FYI,. The Paint Mfg, PPG calls the color Bermuda Blue Met.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts