Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after I last took my 05 SSR (automatic) out for the last time last season (live in Michigan) I went to move it over to the lift bay in my barn for the semi annual oil chage (I have 3 other "summer rides" and I try and take each one out every week as much as I can so only put about a 1000 miles on each one every season so I only change the oil every other year) and noticed what looked like to my surprise a puddle of oil under the SSR. Got it up on the lift and it had started to leak from around the oil pan gasket. There was plenty of oil when I drained it so since I never has noticed it before it must of loosened up just enough the last time out to start leaking so I caught it early. All the oil pan bolts needed to be re-torqued. First time I had an issue with any leakage with the SSR and I have had it going on 8-9 years now. So make sure when you do chage your oil (or if you take it some where to have it done) double check the torgue setting on the oil pan bolts.

· Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,357 Posts
Shortly after I last took my 05 SSR (automatic) out for the last time last season (live in Michigan) I went to move it over to the lift bay in my barn for the semi annual oil chage (I have 3 other "summer rides" and I try and take each one out every week as much as I can so only put about a 1000 miles on each one every season so I only change the oil every other year) and noticed what looked like to my surprise a puddle of oil under the SSR. Got it up on the lift and it had started to leak from around the oil pan gasket. There was plenty of oil when I drained it so since I never has noticed it before it must of loosened up just enough the last time out to start leaking so I caught it early. All the oil pan bolts needed to be re-torqued. First time I had an issue with any leakage with the SSR and I have had it going on 8-9 years now. So make sure when you do chage your oil (or if you take it some where to have it done) double check the torgue setting on the oil pan bolts.
Interesting! I had asked once a couple of years ago about checking the oil pan bolts for tightness and the consensus seemed to be it wasn't a good idea, so I didn't pursue it any farther. I wondered at the time if tightening would distort the seal between the pan and the block (rubber plus sealant at the corners) and create a worse issue over time. I was referred to the Corvette Forum, but i never did and left well enough alone.

· Registered
2003 SSR redline red, "Tupperware" bedliner
458 Posts
Yes, I had the same thing with my '03 a couple of years ago. I have a rubber runner under it, that I kept from my '50 GMC. I didn't notice any loss of fluid on the dipstick. I drove it daily till I retired, but probably only once a week after retirement. It helps to drive it.

· Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,881 Posts
There is a torque spec and sequence to follow on oil pan bolts. Even if retightening them I would follow the sequence and torque specs from the service manual
Actually there is no sequence/pattern defined in the service manual. That said, when developing the Corvette oil pan installation notes I've talked with Topspin and he was very clear that he liked to ensure it was all aligned properly before snugging things down, especially the rear/horizontal ones from the bell housing to the oil pan and then the remaining bolts. Basically the bottom bolts to bring the pan up, so the horizontal ones can engage. The oil pans are part of the LS engine block "structure", and not just something that hangs off the bottom to collect the oil like the old days.

Does anyone have the sequence I would like to check my bolts thanks
The larger rear bolts from the bell housing to the oil pan are 37 lb ft
The small 10mm bolts are 106 lb in -- yes inch pounds, don't go crazy.

· Registered
2006 ssr
187 Posts
Actually there is no sequence/pattern defined in the service manual. That said, when developing the Corvette oil pan installation notes I've talked with Topspin and he was very clear that he liked to ensure it was all aligned properly before snugging things down, especially the rear/horizontal ones from the bell housing to the oil pan and then the remaining bolts. Basically the bottom bolts to bring the pan up, so the horizontal ones can engage. The oil pans are part of the LS engine block "structure", and not just something that hangs off the bottom to collect the oil like the old days.

The larger rear bolts from the bell housing to the oil pan are 37 lb ft
The small 10mm bolts are 106 lb in -- yes inch pounds, don't go crazy.
Thanks 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts