Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This really isn't an SSR-specific question, but I thought that someone out there might have an opinion or experience on the subject...

I am in the process of building a new house (and garage to store my SSR and Corvette). We have talked about installing a furnace and AC unit for the garage, but some of the contactors have expressed concern about having the temperature at 75 and then opening one of the doors and having condensation appear on the vehicles and register vents.

Has anyone ever heated and air-conditioned their garage area?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
413 Posts
my chevelle and harleys are in heat and airconditioned garage no problems

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
I store my 2 corvettes and SSR in a/c and heated garage and have no problemwith condensation. I also keep car covers on them when not in use, I do not know if this helps.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
What about radiant floor heating? It would keep the concrete warm and heat would rise so it should keep the garage heated. Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
31,264 Posts
Radiant heat - definately!

This guy I know with wads of money (2 vintage corvettes, 49 Fleetwood, Audi RS6 are his toys) has radiant heat in his garage. No problem with going barefoot in that garage in winter time! I wouldn't worry about condenstation in summer as you shouldn't have the doors open that long, the temperature difference should not be that great (I'm assuming you don't intend to cool it down below 70* :lol ) and the air conditioning should pull it out quickly enough. Even if you're not sure about doing the radiant heat thing, seriously consider having the tubing put in before the slab is poured as it's really not that much of a cost factor. If you never do anything with it, it's not going to hurt having it there.

I'm planning on building a detached garage in my back yard, and I will have the tubing put in, even if I'm not going to install heat right away. For a/c, I can just buy a large window unit until I'm ready to install a more permanent solution (provided the window (or wall unit) isn't satisfactory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts