Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'm sure this has been discussed several times on here. My gauges started going crazy and then not working at all. I ordered the newest version of step motors to replace all motors. I ordered 7 motors to have 2 spares. Yesterday I removed my gauge cluster to replace bad motors. I replaced all motors and then temporally reinstalled cluster for ops check. all gauges worked except the RPM & speedo. The rpm was erratic and grinds, the speedo was moving and sticking on 60 with truck not moving. So I decided to use my 2 spares and replace them again. I changed those 2 out and did another ops check. Bam those are working just fine now. BUT now the temp gauge is erratic and sticking. I work in aircraft maintenance and I know you can get bad parts off the shelf but wow that's a lot of bad motors. Any suggestions?? I have another issue that is completely my fault. I placed masking tape on gauge skin to mark needle locations and when I removed this particular piece of tape it was touching the digital read out on bottom center of cluster. And it removed some of the clear covering skin, now it looks like crap, very blurry and not readable. My question on this one is this fixable??? Please say yes!!! Without changing gauge cluster assy.

Thanks Bryan

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Bryan,

First....... welcome to the family. This is a fine bunch of owners that provide a great support network. There are a good number of us that have aviation in our background... and in our blood... glad to have you on board.

I’ve been replacing stepper motors for several years now and have NEVER received a bad one from my supplier. There are a few other members here that replace stepper motors as well and I have not heard of any supply issues from them......... but I’ll let Dick, Mike and Gary speak for themselves. If you want me to sell you a set of my stepper motors, just send an email to [email protected]. No need to send you spares - - these are extremely high quality from a speedo manufacturer. They cost a little more, but I don’t question their reliability.

As for your masking tape damage..... perhaps one of the guys that has changed the cluster face out to a different color has saved his original one...... If so, you may be in luck.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Quick Reply!

Mike,

Thank you for the quick reply! My motor issue maybe from the source of purchase. You have given me some hope that I may be able to fix my disaster that I have created on my Gauge cluster skin and gauges. I installed the X27168 motors. There definitely is a huge aviation brotherhood! Mike thanks for the welcoming message and I look forward to making new friends along the way.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,956 Posts
I take it that you have good soldering skills, say "Yes".

Are you using same Needles? Shank is longer on SSR Cluster.

Do you have Black OEM face plate, I may have one that I removed from other clusters.

I just received 3 white, 2 yellow and one red face plate, six sets of Red Needles with right shank length.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Stepper Motor

Dictator,

First of all Thanks for reply! Yes I have years of past soldering skills. I have black oem face skin and I'm using oem needles. And what is the correct procedure for new stepper motor calibration? Seems to be a lot of different methods out there. Maybe that's why my new motors are jacked now.

Thanks, Bryan

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Ok, l'll throw in my 2 cents that worked for me. First I bought quality motors (Dr.Speedometer on Amazon). I unfortunately did NOT mark the needles. So not having a starting point...I had to improvise. I put the cluster in with the clear face off...so i could touch the needles.
Used a GPS, locked the cruze on at 100kmh, then pressed on the needle at 100kmh. Tested at a variety of speeds...all good (also took care of the speed being off with my tire size change)
Filled the tank up and set the need accordingly (again cluster plugged in).
Engine hot and running, set temp needle and oil pressure.
I did buy a small scanner to show correct RPM... and set that needle. If you know your RPM at idle, and at certain speeds...you could get away without the scanner.
I tried several different things and found doing it LIVE was the winning ticket for me. I got tired of taking the cluster in and out to make fine adjustments. Also beware not to push the needles on so they bottom out. Leave some clearance so the needles won't bind

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Gauge Calibration

If you have access to a GM Tech 2 scanner tool or equivalent, its readouts of the various operating parameters such as speed, RPMs, temperature, fuel level and oil pressure when running can also be used to calibrate/set the gauge needles and/or validate that the gauges are accurately set once they are reassembled. I would be very cautious, though, about trying to drive and press the needles into place at the same time and would suggest honing in on the correct position by successive repositioning efforts with the truck stopped each time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dictator,

I was going to PM you but unfortunately my post count isn't high enough. Curious if your willing to sell me the OEM black skin if it's in new condition? Also if you could give me a price on white skin with new needles? My email is [email protected]

Thank you Sir,

Bryan

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,956 Posts
I use 12volt power supply with OEM connector, 12Volts to stepper motors, they "zero" install needles at zero, calibration done.

And my Site Name is "Dic"K"tator

Dicktator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts