Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 4.56 ring and pinion installed and found out the hard way that the Superchips micro tuner, that comes from Magnuson with the software changes that the supercharger requires, does not have the ability to modify the gear ratio setting. As it turns out this unit can only load or unload the software that Magnuson loads into it and not modify anything else. The solution to the problem is to send the tuner back to Magnuson and they will change the settings for you (for $175) and ship you the unit back for you to reload the software. I Installed the new software and everything works fine. The moral of the story is if you have the Magnuson supercharger installed, send them your micro tuner for programming before you change the gears. If you forget, you can still drive your SSR in the interim by turning off the traction control each time you start it up.

Bill Brooks

·
Registered
127 Posts
bass656 said:
I just had my 4.56 ring and pinion installed and found out the hard way that the Superchips micro tuner, that comes from Magnuson with the software changes that the supercharger requires, does not have the ability to modify the gear ratio setting. As it turns out this unit can only load or unload the software that Magnuson loads into it and not modify anything else. The solution to the problem is to send the tuner back to Magnuson and they will change the settings for you (for $175) and ship you the unit back for you to reload the software. I Installed the new software and everything works fine. The moral of the story is if you have the Magnuson supercharger installed, send them your micro tuner for programming before you change the gears. If you forget, you can still drive your SSR in the interim by turning off the traction control each time you start it up.

Bill Brooks
bass656 --- I installed the 4:56 and used the Predator to make the change in the computer. My wife and daughter bought the Magnacharger for me for Father's Day and I started to install it , went to another job in another state, came home and finished it up. My family filled out the questionaire from Magnacharger and advised them that I had the 4:56 rear gear, headers, flowmaster exhaust, and K& N aircharger already installed. I installed the Superchips but guess what, the Superchips computer did not have these additional items programmed in. The dyno showed 250 HP before and 206 HP after the supercharger was installed!!! I'm having a separate program installed by a speed shop that I'm friends with. I will be sending my comments to Magnacharger!!!! :nono

·
Registered
321 Posts
You know that is very interesting information. I am ordering a Magnacharger on Monday and I will be certain to have my tech inform them that we are going with 4:56 gears. Although my tech saz he will reprogram for all the mods that the Predator has, plus!

It just amazes me how much good information we all derive from this site!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts