Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read where some are changing their gear ratio to a 411 what is the main purpose if doing this Mike

·
Premium Member
19,614 Posts
It’s what gm should have done . Puts engine in a great power range rpm wise with a good tune some say better gas mileage too

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
It’s what gm should have done . Puts engine in a great power range rpm wise with a good tune some say better gas mileage too
I'm also very interested in more info on this topic. Am about to pick up my new SSR and a swap to 4:56 rear gears will be high on my list of changes to make.

I believe others have already done that swap.........Can I get reference to getting the posts that address this change........Where did they get their new gear set, etc. How do they like the swap, etc.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm also very interested in more info on this topic. Am about to pick up my new SSR and a swap to 4:56 rear gears will be high on my list of changes to make.

I believe others have already done that swap.........Can I get reference to getting the posts that address this change........Where did they get their new gear set, etc. How do they like the swap, etc.:smile2:
If you get a automatic trans, 4.56 is overkill. 4.11 works better with the auto trans. 4.56 needs the six speed trans with the additional overdrive gear to keep engine speed and fuel economy reasonable.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you get a automatic trans, 4.56 is overkill. 4.11 works better with the auto trans. 4.56 needs the six speed trans with the additional overdrive gear to keep engine speed and fuel economy reasonable.
Agree with that put 456 in my 4 speed Roadrunner and really needed 1 or 2 more gears, engine was always running higher RPM's then needed. I think you will get all you need with the 411's in an automatic.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Agree with that put 456 in my 4 speed Roadrunner and really needed 1 or 2 more gears, engine was always running higher RPM's then needed. I think you will get all you need with the 411's in an automatic.
:wink2:
I'm picking up the 6 speed manual......................So, I'm seeking some input from other 6 speed owners that have made this swap.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
For overall driving on the I's of the world you do not need it.

HOWEVER, it is much better in two area's (4.56's on a 6 speed):

1. Starting in stop and go traffic. It makes the first gear work better and less clutch slippage.
2. It is a better fit for 6th gear at lower speeds. You can use 6th in the 60 mphs. It works better in mountain or variable speed driving.

It puts the 6 spd in the range of where the auto is from the factory. While you are at it get a Hurst type shifter from Core Shifters.

Make sure the installer knows what they are doing. This will prevent rear end noise. I would also use a good additive on the rear end.

I have never regretted doing both to my '05.

IMO

Dave

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I have an auto and put in American Axle 4.10 gears. The gears allow the truck to better use the available power. The truck will "get with the program" in a more timely fashion. Definitely one of the best "bang for the buck" performance upgrades you can do. Use a qualified installer to assure no noise issues. Total cost for mine was a little over $700. As said above, 4.56 would be the ticket for a 6 spd. Don't forget, you'll want to re-calibrate your speedometer too.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts

I put 4.56 gears in my 05 six speed two months ago. At 70 mph, I am doing 2100 rpm. It is perfect. In city traffic, you can almost let the clutch out with any gas pedal action. gears 1, 2, 3 are a bit busy, but the foot down pedal at 60 mph is amazing. No need to downshift into 5th. If there was an available 4.30, without tons of searching, that would have been another option. My highway gas millage went up .5 mpg due to no lugging of the engine. I normally would have done my own gear swap as I have probable done about 20 in the past at my shop, but my back could not take it anymore. I had a GM tech friend of mine do it for me. Rear gears are the most complicated mod to do since there are so many variables to set it up right. Patients is a virtue.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I put 4.56 gears in my 05 six speed two months ago. At 70 mph, I am doing 2100 rpm. It is perfect. In city traffic, you can almost let the clutch out with any gas pedal action. gears 1, 2, 3 are a bit busy, but the foot down pedal at 60 mph is amazing. No need to downshift into 5th. If there was an available 4.30, without tons of searching, that would have been another option. My highway gas millage went up .5 mpg due to no lugging of the engine. I normally would have done my own gear swap as I have probable done about 20 in the past at my shop, but my back could not take it anymore. I had a GM tech friend of mine do it for me. Rear gears are the most complicated mod to do since there are so many variables to set it up right. Patients is a virtue.
Good info...........Is the speedo correction done via a software change. Curious minds want to know. I'm thinkin it's no longer swapping out the little nylon speedo gear on the tailshaft of the trans like in the old days.

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
Speedo correction is a software issue. Fairly easy to do with 4:10 gears, apparently more difficult with 4:56 gears.

There are many threads discussing gear swaps. Factory 3:73 on a 6 speed is from American Axle. I managed to locate a set of AA 4:10 gears, had the GM dealership do the swap. Deadly quiet, great improvement to the truck.

AA 4:56 gears were available initially, but the supply ran out sometime in 2005, because of the number of SSRs making the swap. I believe the gears originally came from mid-70s pickups, and had not been used since then.

After discussing the project with some who had already done it, the concensus was that 4:56 gears were a great improvement, but overkill if a supercharger was to be part of the swap.

Now that I've had the gears for 11 years, and added a supercharger two years ago, I'm happy enough with the swap that I won't spend additional money doing another gear change. When I first did the swap, the first few runs were downright exciting. Now that I'm used to the improvement, I would like more, but can't justify the additional cost.

If I did, I think I would be looking for a set of 4:30 gears - a bit more performance without making 1st quite as redundant as it apparently is with 4:56 gears on a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
calibration

I am fortunate enough to live 25 miles from Keith's house (performanceforless). I took him my truck since the 4.56 gear calibration is a bit more involved, and I changed the tire sizes from stock. He programmed the computer, then tweaked it with the GPS to get the calibration perfect. If your tires are the stock size, the programming will be easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts