Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who out there has changed the gear ratio from 3.73 to 4.56. What software and hardware do I need to effect the change myself. Please advise!
:reddevil :reddevil :reddevil

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ken'sssr said:
Who out there has changed the gear ratio from 3.73 to 4.56. What software and hardware do I need to effect the change myself. Please advise!
:reddevil :reddevil :reddevil
Ken'sssr -- I installed my own gears, Motive Gear, at .005". I bought and used the Diablo Predator hand held computer to change the gearing parameters in the SSR PCM. Easy project if you have the tools and service manual!! :thumbs

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Ken'sSSR: I had one shop do the swap for me, and then a 2nd one do a remedial tightening of the clearances and torques in an effort to reduce noise. I guess some of these come out noisier than others. The uncontrolled variables have not yet been all figured out! The results though are good even on the noisier ones, and the throttle response efefcts are fantasic.

I had a local motorcycle shop woner drive my SSR the other day, because the last time he drove it was before the gearing change. He immeidately remarked how much betetr and how "lighter" it seemed with the stiffer gearing.

Reporgramming can be done via a microtuner (Predator, Superchips, Crane, etc) or via tuning software (HP Tuner, EFILive).

The last time I looked, LSIEdit would NOT yet access the LM4 engine in your 04 SSR without first removing the PCM from the vehicle, and that's an unacceptable solution.

If you plan to do only minor PCM changes, the microtuner approach is easy and pretty risk free, but if you want to make other more substantial changes later, the tuning software is a good investment for not much more money.

See my earlier threads on "gearing" and "microtuners" and "tuning software" for more info.

Jim G

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick reminder: buy the microtuner FIRST, before you do the ratio change. The microtuners are notoriously finicky with the SSR - I went through Superchips, Crane and Diablo programmers before I found one that worked with my SSR ( early VIN 03). The ratio change will cause your traction control and ABS to fail UNLESS you use a programmer to correct the computer. I found this out the hard way, but I would never go back to the old ratio...
- psy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts