Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gear Swap completed----Howls and whines big time

:|

OK, I'm set up to go up to Raleigh in a couple of weeks for my swap to a 4:56 set. I was informed that I had a part to play in the (break end) and since I lived more than 50 miles away from Raleigh......(about a 190 mile) trek. That I must stop about every 50 miles and wait for 30 minutes to proceed and then after another 50 miles............repeat the process.:surprise:

In addition, I should vary my speed on the trip. This is supposed to "heat treat" the gear set and avoid whining/growling, etc.

I swapped out a gear set in my street rod many years ago, but never got the message as to limiting my initial mileage (although I indeed was local to where it all got done).

Have others of you that have done these gear swaps and maybe didn't live within 50 miles of the swap...........have to do the same.?????

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,174 Posts
I don't think it is to heat treat the gears, but rather not over heat the gears. I would ask what brand gear set they are installing and follow that manufacturers recommendations for break in.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Never was warned on miles and the trip was 80 + but was told to vary speed on the trip home.

Had some issues with noise but the folks I worked with were Pro's and corrected the issue.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Yup. Do what they say. You DO NOT want to over heat the gears for the first few hundred miles. Drive a little, (just a few miles at first) stop and let things cool down and vary your speeds, and not too fast overall. Repeat above. It's a little inconvenient but it beats the snot out of having whiney gears when you get home. Oh, and plan a gear oil change at about 500 miles. This is all just to assure the long term success of your gear change.
PS... you'll have a ball with the new gear set up.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Man I can't imagine the git with it those gears will have. New rear tire quiet often. Permegrin on all the time. Your face is going to hurt.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
If the gears are set properly, and have the proper lubrication, why in hell would they overheat? What am I missing here? :confused

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,174 Posts
If the gears are set properly, and have the proper lubrication, why in hell would they overheat? What am I missing here? :confused
The first word you used "IF". If they are not set up right then you stand a chance of repairing them if they are not ruined from over heating them. You really should not have any noise from a properly set up gear swap. I have seen it happen where they don't get the side shims or side bearing seated correctly and they will cause a lot of noise. If caught and corrected you might be able to save everything but if they get over heated and ruin the gear oil or get a lot of metal in it, then be prepared to be replacing everything. The carrier, bearings and gear set. It is also a CYA thing for the gear manufacturer. If the gears are returned and there are signs of over heating they can blame it on improper set up or improper break in. Warranty voided that way. Think about this for a minute. The factory gears in new cars are not broken in like this. Just food for thought or something to make you go HMMMM.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Well yes, that's what I was thinking. Whoever sets them up, don't they drive it a couple miles to see if they're quiet and no obvious lash issues?
I do know you can ruin a ring & pinion in less than 50 miles if they are not set right, but that should be on whoever set them up.
I've watched both my boss and my fishing partner do rears. Take it apart, put it together, check the pattern with white grease, then do it all over again, a dozen times in extreme cases. They'd end up with a pile of crush collars and a headache.
I know it's something I wouldn't even begin to attempt, maybe that's why I outlived them both.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts

OK, I'm set up to go up to Raleigh in a couple of weeks for my swap to a 4:56 set. I was informed that I had a part to play in the (break end) and since I lived more than 50 miles away from Raleigh......(about a 190 mile) trek. That I must stop about every 50 miles and wait for 30 minutes to proceed and then after another 50 miles............repeat the process.:surprise:

In addition, I should vary my speed on the trip. This is supposed to "heat treat" the gear set and avoid whining/growling, etc.

I swapped out a gear set in my street rod many years ago, but never got the message as to limiting my initial mileage (although I indeed was local to where it all got done).

Have others of you that have done these gear swaps and maybe didn't live within 50 miles of the swap...........have to do the same.?????
Got the same instructions when I swapped to 4:11 a couple of years ago in California.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a related note, I asked the guy at the gear shop about what rear end lube they used.....would it be synthetic?

He said......NO. While synthetic oils are great for engines, they are too thin for adequate lubricating of big gears...he said they use some grade of Lucas.

I'll find out exactly what it is when I get the job done. Was just kinda surprised that syn lube was not favored.

By the way, the place doing the job is East Coast Gear Supply. Doing this kinda work is their main business.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:crying:
Well, it's been a long and sad last few days regarding my venture up to Raleigh for the planned gear swap. Nothing went quite right from start to finish. I'll discuss the main problem here and address the other in another post as I don't want to get side tracked from valuable feed back on the main problem.

As I had said earlier, I used East Coast Gear Supply to do the swap. There are mechanics and some shops that may do only two or three gear changes in a whole year. This place does them all the time. Check out their site for more info. https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-61363-gears-install-kits-carriers-spider-gears.html.

So, it seems there are TWO major reasons you can have a new ring/pinion swap make noise. One is an (incorrect) set up and the other is the "crap shoot" of the quality of (after market) gears versus OEM gears.

By the way, I now have lots of noise/whine and it's not on the "coast" side, the noise comes on the "drive" side.

So, I was told before the swap even started that there was a good possibility that the new gear set would make noise and/or whine. If it did, it would NOT be due to improper set up as they check/double check and even take pictures of the process. (I have not seen those).

I'm told that the machinery that is used to make up these after market gear sets are used beyond their useful life to maintain proper tolerances......So if the set you get was done early during a product "run", your set could be a good one, later on sets can and do get "sloppy" and gear whine is the result.

It seems I must have gotten a bad set of Yukon gears. ECGS owner/ceo of the shop test drove the SSR and agrees it is noisy. He told me it shouldn't get any worse, but it would not get any better either. After having gone thru the "drill" getting back home by stopping periodically and letting the rear end cool down some and varying my speeds, etc. I made it home and can tell y'all for sure..........I gotta end up going back for a "re-do" and the big question is what option to take.

He (shop owner) advised me he wanted me to "be happy"...........I'm not happy:frown2:

He has said they could swap in another set from Motive?? not sure I have that supplier name correct, but anyway another (after market) gear source. But he said they have had similar bad results/whine/noise from that source as well.

So, bottom line is I believe he will make another swap for me for no charge as we discussed, I have not gotten back with him yet to let him know I'm not happy and want to schedule back in for a (re do).

So, what to do..........I guess they could try another Yukon 456 set or go with the other source Motive and hope that set is not noisy............or the safest alternative would be to drop down to 410 gear set as he told me that was available as OEM and thus would/should be noise free.

What do you guys think...........:nerd:

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,430 Posts
I believe I would go with the 4:10 OEM set. It is still taller than the stock set and a bit more practical for the everyday driving.

JMHO

================
David :black:
images-4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I have installed Motive 4.56 gears, bought from EGG, in my previous 2 SSRs (2004 and 2005) and have bought Motive gears, 4.56, from EGG for my 2003 that I will be installing in the Spring hopefully. I have not had a problem with noise from the Motive Gears (fingers crossed saying this). My $.02.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Part of the reason I ended up using American Axle for my gear change was the concern you have described... Quality control. Everywhere I looked there was always a random example of someone having a noisy set of "brand X" gears. Now, most people were happy with brand X and had no issues. But American axle had the best track record of all I could find regarding quality control. The down side was gear ratio selection. But since all I wanted was the 4:10, it was a no brainer to me. At first I was intrigued by a set of 4:56. Who wouldn't? Talk about killer torque! But the idea of cruising down the highway at 80 mph and having the motor screaming at well over 3K rpm was just too much drama. Bottom line, the American Axle 4:10's worked for me. They are a nice wake up call for the truck without excessive highway rpm's and they are quiet as a mouse.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Part of the reason I ended up using American Axle for my gear change was the concern you have described... Quality control. Everywhere I looked there was always a random example of someone having a noisy set of "brand X" gears. Now, most people were happy with brand X and had no issues. But American axle had the best track record of all I could find regarding quality control. The down side was gear ratio selection. But since all I wanted was the 4:10, it was a no brainer to me. At first I was intrigued by a set of 4:56. Who wouldn't? Talk about killer torque! But the idea of cruising down the highway at 80 mph and having the motor screaming at well over 3K rpm was just too much drama. Bottom line, the American Axle 4:10's worked for me. They are a nice wake up call for the truck without excessive highway rpm's and they are quiet as a mouse.
Wizzr...........the deal is we have a different rear end altogether. You are dealing with an automatic and can get the ratio you selected without going outside of an OEM selection. If you had a six speed, which uses a different rear end, you would find that there is NO OEM 456 selection available. If one has a six speed and opts for a 456 ratio, they have to select an after market vendor such as Yukon or Motive to get a set that will fit.:wink2:

·
MY05SSR
590 Posts
I installed a set of American Axle 4:11 on my 66 Impala a few years ago with no noise. If you install them correctly, you should have never had them issue's and if its getting hot you have friction somewhere which can cause damage

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Mo... my bad. Guess I failed to realize you're dealing with a 6 speed. Now I understand the desire for the 456. Wish you all the best in however your deal shakes out.

·
MY05SSR
590 Posts
Maybe time for me to switch gears on my R but waiting on a tune, not sure what ratio. Let me know how you end up!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
ever buy a new car & have them tell you [HOW TO BREAK-IN] a rear end???????? End of discussion? If you have a [noise]-----------[wine] from new it could be the factory [set-up]? BUT probably a poorly lined up & welded axle housing or poorly machined [pumpkin]. If so you will always have the same noise with power on or drifting. ONE OR THE OTHER with any new gear-set. If the noise is slight, live with it & turn the radio up.

As most know I worked for Gm building their minivans. Gm had a program that let you take one off of the line and take it home for the night & fill out a questionnaire of what you thoughts were on the product. I just happened to get a van with a Extremely noisy [REAR END]. I wrote that we have only been making this type of rear-end for a hundred years & how could we make one that was so bad? Then said if a customer bought this truck it would be his last Gm product buy & all of his friends he told as well::: & my employment depended on US making a good product. I had a hand full of the plants top people come to my work station the next morning & basically ask me if I thought I was some kind of an expert? I asked if they had driven [this] van & the answer was no! Since it was very [clear] they thought I was being some kind of an ASS. I told them even [YOU PEOPLE] [top Gm people never come from working on the assembly line]------ who probably couldn't put a nut & bolt together by yourself would notice the problem. A few hours later I was taken up to where a team of inspectors go through about 6 vans a day from top to bottom for quality control. THE BIG WIGS were there & thanked me for being the person responsible for not letting this van get to a dealer. The inspectors,,,not so much as this van had passed the 25 mile road test that all specially gone over vans got.

Birdmans

1 - 20 of 58 Posts