Chevy SSR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

· it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,421 Posts

Personal Opinion and recollectiion

The Lifetime Supporting Membership came about after the change of ownership, I believe. If I am incorrect I expect some of the Originals will correct me
that is correct.
I can't expand attachments, and my "Likes" are a bit screwed - big deal - I want it fixed also, but my panties aren't in a knot!

All this has meant to me is I can't expand pictures and don't know who is "Liking" me (more importantly oblivious to the "Dislikes" which is cool)
This is not the end of the world - July 4, kick back - have a triple vodka, bit of lime, shake it (the martini) skip the olive
Likes - if you are on your profile page and look at that mid-right side where it lists how many likes you have received, just click it and then the page loads with who liked you :yesnod

· Enjoying life as it comes
5,489 Posts
Several weeks and a PM to the admin later and today I still get this when opening a photo

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/vbseo.php on this server.

I've gone through everything in my profile/setting/ account to see if I could change something, but found nothing of the sort.

I have been a long time (near the beginning) and Lifetime member (Before the change of ownership). Like others I do read a lot of the content on here, but feel the description of a problem or repair is sometime inadequate without the photo to go along with it.

If one of the @administrator could at least reply and let us know what they changed and are working on it I think many would feel less irritated.

Other site I belong to that Autoguide oversees don't appear to be having this issue, which make me curious as to why this one does.

My Message to the Admins......

Get on it and "GIT-R-DUN"

· Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
9,649 Posts
Several weeks and a PM to the admin later and today I still get this when opening a photo

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/vbseo.php on this server.

I've gone through everything in my profile/setting/ account to see if I could change something, but found nothing of the sort.

I have been a long time (near the beginning) and Lifetime member (Before the change of ownership). Like others I do read a lot of the content on here, but feel the description of a problem or repair is sometime inadequate without the photo to go along with it.

If one of the @administrator could at least reply and let us know what they changed and are working on it I think many would feel less irritated.

Other site I belong to that Autoguide oversees don't appear to be having this issue, which make me curious as to why this one does.

My Message to the Admins......

Get on it and "GIT-R-DUN"
Fuzzy, we (myself and all our other SSR Moderators have been trying our VERY BEST behind the scenes to get some kind of valid statement/ comment so that we could share it with all our members. Something has obviously happened since our site's last updates. BTW: I am a member of a Cadillac XT5 forum owned by the same company AutoForums - VerticalScope as our site and they are also having similar problems. Their attachments are not working either.

All I can tell you is they said they were going to have their IT Team look at it after the Canadian holiday was over. That should have been looked at last Tuesday?

FYI: See below my cut and paste I took off of the Cadillac XT5 forum.

VerticalScope
111 Peter Street, Suite 700
Toronto, ON
M5V 2H1
CANADA

Cadillac XT5 Forum link

Why is my pictures saying "missing". I just checked and I'm getting that on all post pictures. I'm also logged in.
Thanks
Mine says "500 error detected" - no pictures.
Mine too. says "500 error detected" - no pictures.

Seems like the server has a problem.

· Registered
32 Posts
Web Site SSRFanatic GONE CRAZY

Hello all,

I have been a Chief Information Officer "CIO" for Banks, Hospitals and various other industries for over 35 years. I have not been on this site for awhile because of the Website format change. In my career I have managed teams and developers to deliver quality web sites and I have never seen such a bloated and bug riddled mess. It has constant failures and multiple warnings from many aspects of the operating systems I have tried to run it on. Included in the warnings are alerts from the latest Norton anti virus program warning me not to continue on this site. Crashes, popups, screen writing issues. With all of the Advertisements I would think there would be plenty of revenue to keep this site pristine. For me this site has gone down hill from what I use to enjoy. It is just not as intuitive or fun as it was before and I don't see anything useful that is new that has constituted this change for the worse. Sorry, I am just not a fan and I mean no disrespect to the designers. I believe that there was not a clear vision and the purpose just got lost somewhere. The end users are the purpose and someone needs to get them involved to untangle this mess or there will not be any users and no clicks means no revenue for whoever is taking care of the cash flow for this website. Sorry to be a wet blanket but someone needs to spit the truth. Is it the users creation or the designers or was the appropriate collaboration done. Oh by the way, it took me over 4 days to complete this thread post, 5 different attempts before this attempt finally stabilized long enough to post

· One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,756 Posts
Hello all,

I have been a Chief Information Officer "CIO" for Banks, Hospitals and various other industries for over 35 years. I have not been on this site for awhile because of the Website format change. In my career I have managed teams and developers to deliver quality web sites and I have never seen such a bloated and bug riddled mess. It has constant failures and multiple warnings from many aspects of the operating systems I have tried to run it on. Included in the warnings are alerts from the latest Norton anti virus program warning me not to continue on this site. Crashes, popups, screen writing issues. With all of the Advertisements I would think there would be plenty of revenue to keep this site pristine. For me this site has gone down hill from what I use to enjoy. It is just not as intuitive or fun as it was before and I don't see anything useful that is new that has constituted this change for the worse. Sorry, I am just not a fan and I mean no disrespect to the designers. I believe that there was not a clear vision and the purpose just got lost somewhere. The end users are the purpose and someone needs to get them involved to untangle this mess or there will not be any users and no clicks means no revenue for whoever is taking care of the cash flow for this website. Sorry to be a wet blanket but someone needs to spit the truth. Is it the users creation or the designers or was the appropriate collaboration done. Oh by the way, it took me over 4 days to complete this thread post, 5 different attempts before this attempt finally stabilized long enough to post
OK, you sucked me in. I am the curious type. After 6 years of nothing and 5 years before that of selling things, what brought you back too this site you could not stand?

· Premium Member
9,721 Posts
Hello all,

So why are you here at all. I don't see why we need an outsider coming back to stir the pot. Unless, of course you are stepping up to the plate and engineering a whole new platform just for us, and underwriting all the costs of developing it until enough people switch over so that you can finally make a profit, assuming a reasonable number decide to pay for a membership, rather than be here as a visitor, as you are. Obviously, you didn't purchase a lifetime membership when you joined in 2007.

· Daily Driver
9,529 Posts
I have a feeling the problems here and at other sites was created by updates from vBulletin and/or DragonByte and the VerticalScope owners of this site don't have a clue but are waiting for answers from the aforementioned.

· One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,756 Posts
I have a feeling the problems here and at other sites was created by updates from vBulletin and/or DragonByte and the VerticalScope owners of this site don't have a clue but are waiting for answers from the aforementioned.
That may be true, but if it is I certainly hope they are making at least as much noise as we are.

· Daily Driver
9,529 Posts
From past experience with vBulletin I'd say getting answers is between slim and a middle finger, they already got their money for the update from umpteen thousand websites, so leave it up to the user to figure it out.

· Slingshot Rules!
90,791 Posts
After all the BS over the last few months, only an idiot would expect ethics and civilized Customer Service at this point?

Whatcha wanna bet they are still on HOLIDAY.

! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: !

· Super Road Rocket Pilot
7,046 Posts

Personal Opinion and recollectiion

An interesting thought. For those who were not here in the early days, and I am a late comer too, this site was an all volunteer operations for a number of years before it was sold to keep it alive. The original Supporting Membership was an attempt at keeping it private and was not successful, I think. The Lifetime Supporting Membership came about after the change of ownership, I believe. If I am incorrect I expect some of the Originals will correct me, but We are all lucky that this site still exists and I am sure no one would want to attempt to start over. Dragon2U is nice enough to host a temporary Pin Map while a permanent version is under construction by a volunteer who is still not sure it is safe enough to protect him from lawsuits regarding identity theft. I really hope IT comes to life soon but it will need to be managed by volunteer members here. Please be patient.
True the original site was started by a private individual, like most of Auoguides current site holdings. The owner had a handful of other websites (Corvetteforum as well I think) and did little advertising but I do believe made some money from it. Yes, there were some unpaid positions, mostly the site moderators like yourself, which I believe is still a volunteer position. When Autoguide purchased this site it was due to a worldwide strategic strategy to own and operate nearly all car related forums that had had a good visitation presence to attract ad revenue. The owner did not have to sell, but I think he made some good money from his efforts.

While I totally understand that I and many others enjoy this site when things are going well and hope it does not go away, to revive it would take a little time but would not be an insurmountable task. The software that this forum runs on is a common add on to many hosting company offerings.

Anyway, while the picture and software glitches being caused by the move certainly do upset the visitation experience. I just wish that the "administrators" had more communication and a better correction process like they do other sites so we can get all this behind us and move on. This has been an ongoing problem every time there is a large issue in the forum, lack of communication and urgency. Even small things like people signing up for Lifetime membership should not take a week to process. It is not a VBullentin software issue, it is an Autoguide/VerticalScope hosting problem, the people that make the decisions on how the software is implemented.

It's been what, about 4 weeks of this? Hopefully today, maybe tomorrow but who knows.......... Admins, please take the time to talk to admins on other Autoguide forums to see what they did to fix the problems on their forums.

· Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Most of the info is incomplete without the pictures posted with it.
:|
Man, most all of us can agree on that as pics give us the backup to the "how to" when fixing problems and the description/narrative is vague.

But........on a side note, in other instances, pics (wanting to see it) has gone way over board.

I've found you just cannot list stuff on Craigs list for example without taking a pic of every damn thing. Without accompanying pics, most just ignore your listings.

I could be trying to peddle a claw hammer and a 14" crescent wrench and by damn, there had better be a pic of each..............God forbid one had to use their own imagination in such instances.

Can any of you remember the days when you just placed ads and decribed the items. Not anymore, better be pics.:|

· Super Road Rocket Pilot
7,046 Posts
Man, most all of us can agree on that as pics give us the backup to the "how to" when fixing problems and the description/narrative is vague.

But........on a side note, in other instances, pics (wanting to see it) has gone way over board.

I've found you just cannot list stuff on Craigs list for example without taking a pic of every damn thing. Without accompanying pics, most just ignore your listings.

I could be trying to peddle a claw hammer and a 14" crescent wrench and by damn, there had better be a pic of each..............God forbid one had to use their own imagination in such instances.

Can any of you remember the days when you just placed ads and decribed the items. Not anymore, better be pics.:|
Well, I totally understand where you are coming from, but would you buy something sight unseen from 2000 miles away on just a description? Everyone has a different determination on scratches, rust and damage of any other sort.

In the "old" days we dealt with newspapers and such that were local. Money was transferred after the item was seen and evaluated. No matter how much imagination I have I rarely buy anything sight unseen. Times have changed and although the internet has made information and world wide purchasing easier, there are still some things that need to be verified before I lay down my cash for it, at least for me anyways.

· Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
9,649 Posts
Finally we received an update from our sites owner's Admin. *see below

Hi there,

This issue is one of the issues our team has been try to solve as a result of the Google Cloud migration. It's affected a number of our sites and we're working with Google and vBulletin to get a permanent fix in place.
Thanks for sharing this update. Please keep us informed when you hear anything more. I had a feeling going to the cloud would not be easy.

Hopefully we will hear something positive real soon.

· Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Well, I totally understand where you are coming from, but would you buy something sight unseen from 2000 miles away on just a description? Everyone has a different determination on scratches, rust and damage of any other sort.

In the "old" days we dealt with newspapers and such that were local. Money was transferred after the item was seen and evaluated. No matter how much imagination I have I rarely buy anything sight unseen. Times have changed and although the internet has made information and world wide purchasing easier, there are still some things that need to be verified before I lay down my cash for it, at least for me anyways.
You're right as I would not buy something (even sight seen via pictures) from 2000 miles away. Which is why my wife and I got on a plane and flew to Las Vegas to personally check out the SSR that we bought and then drove back some 2400 miles home.

My point, was more to trying to vend/sell some common items that where (scratches, rust and damage ) as you put it would pretty typically not be a factor. I've found that over the last few years, it makes no difference...........Some buyers or potential buyers just cannot cope with a mere description of an everyday common item like a claw hammer in my example. Gotta have that pic.............:frown2:

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.