Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some thoughts after 1000 city/highway miles.... It's a great ride so don't try to make it something it isn't.

APPEARANCE: Fantastic! (Except for the gas cap. Change it.)
ENGINE: The truck is too heavy to be a real 'performer'. Drop in a ZO6 power train if it isn't a problem. Leave the rest to those gullible enough to believe they can buy a chip, air filter and muffler that will add 100+ HP on the aftermarket.
INTERIOR/ERGONOMICS: From my driving position, the DIC is invisible. It begs for a HUD ala Corvette. You've already heard about the seat controls in the press. We second the complaints.
MISC: Needs more computer power to drive a fully functional DIC, real security, ignition key chip, etc. Nice to have a 'power hatch closer' too (my wife made me say that.). How about a compass and the 'outside temp' display too?
DO NOT MESS WITH THE SOUND!
SUMMARY: Good work guys! It's outstanding right out of the box. More fun than we've had in Corvettes in 30++ years.

Regards, #286

·
Registered
60 Posts
Toy Truck,

I have had an issue with my right rear tire losing air. Someone at work told me about it Monday morning after I had parked. I had to open up the tire fix-it kit behind the driver's seat as there is no spare on the SSR. Went by a Chevy dealer down here in metro Detroit and they did not really want to look at it. They told me to go to Belle Tire, Discount, etc. as the warranty does not cover any tire issues...I told them I just bought the vehicle and that I have thoroughly inspected the tire for nails and any other debris and it is completely clean. They finally consented to having me stop by when they were less busy, however, I know longer feel like I trust these guys. And I definitely don't want to leave it with them. They still have not seen an SSR yet.. I figure I will just take it back to the dealership I purchased it from once I return to my hometown. In addition, they are also needing to fix a small factory defect in my passenger door.

I second your notion on the invisibility of the DIC and the passive security system. I would like a security system that is more active like a DEI Viper system, but I feel a little uncomfortable having my truck be the Guinea Pig for such a system. Sometimes a good security system just alerts kids that happen to be riding their bikes right next to your vehicle. And the real little kids that decide your Taurus is a perfect canvas for drawing with a permanent marker...Also, the seat controls are indeed difficult to reach. And once you remove the tire repair kit, it can be very cumbersome to screw back on. The Bose stereo system sounds awesome, especially in 'spacious' mode with the top down.

Despite all of my quirks, I really like the SSR and am glad that I purchased it.

Brian

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
maybe better to be delayed a while...

:confused Maybe my four month delay on getting my SSR is not so bad after all. There were bound to be probs. with a new vehicle of any sort, especially one like this. I am waiting to hear what probs. crop up with the top over time too. Any word on the hood prop problem not supporting the weight of that enormous hood? Sorry to hear about the tire issue. For what they cost,those tires should have some type of coverage for a limited amount of time. Wonder what those tires cost anyway?

B

·
0 Posts
Dream Cruise & everyone else - suggest you get down to you Goodyear tire store and purchase a road hazard tire warranty. The tires should be covered by Chev for the first year (similar to Vette tires) but you will find it worth the few $ you pay for the warranty.

B

·
0 Posts
Dream Cruise & everyone else - suggest you get down to you Goodyear tire store and purchase a road hazard tire warranty. The tires should be covered by Chev for the first year (similar to Vette tires) but you will find it worth the few $ you pay for the warranty.

·
Premium Member
9,217 Posts
Any rumblings of GM going to a runflat tire, rather than the cheezy inflator cans?? - Sensor systems are expensive and easily damaged, but some cars are using ABS inputs to check tire diameter, then flagging a dash light indicating low pressure - wouldn't be much of a stretch. GM already has the technology.

I know several SSR lovers have Corvettes - What's the experience been like with Corvettes on run flats?

C

·
0 Posts
The run flats (I M N S H O )

A.cost more
B.Are Noisy
C.Traction not as good(but plenty good for the SSR)
D.Are trouble free on the C5 Vette (less traction but trouble free)
E.Great not needing to check tire presure of tires!!
chuck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TIRES

We've had 3 C5's and my wife has had a flat with each of 'em. I think 'run flats' are the way to go. You never have to worry. The only down side in my opinion is 'noise'. I find it difficult to use a cell phone while driving because of the noise. I don't find the marginal performance sacrafice a problem.

The SSR is my wifes and she really loves it. With over 1000 miles on it, she hasn't come to the part in the owners manual that informs her that there is no spare and the tires aren't run flats. I dread the day she figures that out! I'll have a lot of explaining to do.....

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Watch out!

After one day of owning this wonder vehicle. :)

I discovered something that others might want to look out for.

When the hard top flap (the piece that lifts up between the seat and truck bed when raising or lowering the top) begins to open, I have one hydraulic hose that is wrapped halfway around what appears to be a platic knob on the drivers side. As the flap lifts, this hose rubs on this knob and has even caught on it twice causing a "roof cycle time" fault. I will definitely have to do something to prevent the hose from 'wrapping' on this knob.

So just as a precaution check those hoses after a couple of opens and closes to see if any of your hoses are rubbing.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:eek :eek :eek Whoa!!! I wonder if that is what caused my roof cycle time out a few times? Thanks for the tip. Will check that out this evening in the garage! That would really suck if the hose cut loose and spewed hydraulic fluid everywhere!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts