Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned today at the SSR Homecoming that GM has made a running change in the engine cooling fan (we were heard!).

It seems that they agreed after some investigation that not only did the original fan fail sometimes due to the almost constant use in hot ambient condtions, but in addition it had a hard time daling with sand in the southwestern regions of the country.

GM has now started stocking a new version that apparently corrects these weaknesses. They did this just a few weeks ago.

There is a little glitch.

If your dealer orders a repalcement fan from GM directly, he will get the new one. However, because there are still many of the old one in stock at dealerships around the country, if your dealer gets it from one of them, you will still get the old fan.

Therefore, if your fan fails, be smart. Show your dealer this posting, and politely ask (insist) that he order from GM direct, even if it takes longer to get one that way. That way, you are apparently sure to get the new one.

If you are approaching the end of your warranty, it would be helpful if the old fan failed NOW. Perhaps you could run through a dust storm . . . :)

By the way, continuing the "international collection of parts" theme I mention in my book, the original cooling fan comes from Volkswagen!

Jim G

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Oh no!!!! Now what? Well Jim do you think you can get the part #? Just had fan assy replaced today and they must have had it in stock!!!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think they changed the part number. That's why you need to get one from GM direct.

Do they have sandstorms in Dallas anywhere near where you drive? :)

Jim G

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
No none are expected this weekend!!!!! Well they just put it on so it should last a while, still 2 years of warranty left!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Cool (pun intended).

Mine was replaced last friday. I was told it had to be shipped from Mich. Hope it's the new version. Too bad the part number was not rolled. It would be easier to tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts