Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
41,542 Posts
And GM put their head in the sand with our ignition switches !!!!!! :( And the Trailblazers also.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I did not see where GM is paying any of the owners of the vehicles anything but the lawyers are getting 34.5 million of the settlement money. HMMM something is wrong there big time.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I don't have a list, but would guess it has to do with the HHR's. They took a real beating on value over the ignition switches. I own one and have never heard anything about the law suit before or any settlement from GM on it either. GM did replace the switch under warranty right at the very end of it's time limit.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,865 Posts
PROBABLY from when they replaced the switches that they said TOO MANY KEYS on the key ring caused the switch problem. Just a mechanical thing not burnt contacts.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I haven't looked up the recall by number. But i know Marie's old 05 Impala was part of it. I think the cars covered had the switch mounted on the dashboard not the steering column.
More research required.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
PROBABLY from when they replaced the switches that they said TOO MANY KEYS on the key ring caused the switch problem. Just a mechanical thing not burnt contacts.

Nick
Yes when we got the repair done on our HHR the key was stuck in the switch. The funny thing was we pulled all the keys off the ring that night because we knew it would be going to the dealer to be fixed. So the only thing on the ring was the key and the fob. They still told us the same thing, you have too many keys on the the key chain. I told the service writer he had better look again. He stumbled and stammered all over him self trying to come up with another reason then.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,865 Posts
I haven't looked up the recall by number. But i know Marie's old 05 Impala was part of it. I think the cars covered had the switch mounted on the dashboard not the steering column.
More research required.
Yep, Kathy's '03 Monte Carlo SS got the recall. Came back with TINY RINGS with NO room for any thing but the Fob.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2004 slingshot yellow
35 Posts
I don't have a list, but would guess it has to do with the HHR's. They took a real beating on value over the ignition switches. I own one and have never heard anything about the law suit before or any settlement from GM on it either. GM did replace the switch under warranty right at the very end of it's time limit.
I also own an HHR and have not heard anything about a lawsuit. GM did replace the switch under warranty. Also replaced the power steering motor under the dash.

·
Spirited driver!
1,237 Posts
This part of the lawsuit was the cheap part:
"It has also paid more than $2.6 billion in penalties and settlements, including $900 million to settle a U.S. Department of Justice criminal case. "

·
Slingshot Rules!
67,562 Posts
A few years after I "adopted" The Doophus, my next-door neighbor brought home a Toyota Hybrid Highlander and shortly thereafter started having electrical problems. First minor and then more major. After a bunch of visits to the dealer, it was finally determined the Ignition Switch was to blame primarily due to the number of keys and trinkets on her key ring.

I had already alerted her to that issue but she insisted the Toyota Service Manager "poo-poo'd" that idea from the beginning.

They replaced the Ignition Switch a few times and finally warned her never again if she continued to carry all of the keys and trinkets on her key ring. They also directed her to the warning in the owner's manual and assured her it would be her problem next time.

She "cleaned" her key ring and . . . PROBLEM ALL GONE.

Bottom line . . . Toyota had the very same problem on their perfect vehicles.

! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: ! :mad: ! :cool: !

·
Super Moderator
13,782 Posts
You guys have too many effing lawyers willing to sue anyone.
Unsure how an ignition switch can cause 120 deaths
I finally convinced a friend of mine it wasn't a good idea to have 3 lbs of keys on his keychain on his 2015 Jeep.

For a $40 part, they are trying to bring down one of the major employers of industry in the US
We just exchange them to an upgraded part - don't think our switches caused a death - just didn't start and left us on the road
Pissed off at the time but get the better part - not thinking of suing.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The problem on the HHR was they could turn off at anytime and did so to several people while going on the highway. With the ignition off they lost power steering because it is electric , power brakes and several people died in these types of accidents. It also brought the values of the cars down dramatically. We got ours fixed under warranty and have put enough miles on it that we don't expect to get much out of it anyway now. But it was always a thought in the back of your mind what to do if it shuts off at highway speeds. Here in our area if you are tooling along at 70 and all of a sudden your car shuts down you risk serious danger of being ran over in rush hour traffic. Plus it was proven that GM knew of the problem and did nothing to fix it till after a couple people died in accidents. While I am not one to go off on the legal route I do agree they could and should have done more quicker than they did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts