Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you belong to the GM insidenews forums but man, those guys are slamming us over there. They absolutely hate the SSR yet they are a GM enthusiasts site? What gives with that? I post occassionally over there but check out this link and back us up, ok? Most of those kooks have never driven an SSR and of course, a lot of them are youngsters ready to start a rumble. After what they have said about our beloved SSR's, I'm kinda feeling like a rumble myself with those naysayers.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=411119#post411119 :mad

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I think it is funny that, they hate the SSR so much but look how many pages the thread has :lol Looks like the joke is on them!!!!

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Not Worried

I'm not worried I saw a post from Marc, looks like he did a fine job handling what was said. :flag
Besides everyone is titled to their opinon even if we don't really like what we hear.
The SSR will speak for it's self at a later time :thumbs

·
Registered
262 Posts
Camaros

If Chevrolet brought back the Camaro and the only color would be primer gray, these guys would buy them all.
And obviously, these people have never ridden in a 396 El Camino.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I think it would be kind of funny if everyone from this board went over there to tell them how they felt about their "Niche" trucks. Come on you people.. these people are just misunderstood. All they need is,.. well, ALL of US to come over and help them figure out what life is all about. I dare you! I double Dog Dare YOU! :lol :lol

·
Premium Member
31,670 Posts
El Camino never sold well?

Someone should inform that imbecile that the El Camino was "killed" off because the RWD platform it was based (Monte Carlo/Regal/Grand Prix/Cutlass Supreme) on was cancelled at the 1987 model year in favor of more fuel-efficient FWD cars! That platform was GM's best selling series in history! PERIOD!

It's obvious that some of these "kids" have no clue of what they speak. I'm not that "old" myself (39), but I still know more about what's going on in the auto world than they. And comparing the SSR to a Mustang? Oh please!

If a niche car would never work, Dodge (Chrysler) could not have brought the Viper to market. How many of those do they sell a year? Can't be more than a few thousand. The new T-bird? It was based on Jaguar XK8! No wonder it cost over $40k. Chrysler a**fire, scuse me, Crossfire? It's a Mercedes SLK with new skins (couldn't resist - looks like a car with a wedgie! :lol ). What kind of "engineering" $$ does that take? Low sales figures there are Chrysler's own fault for selling such an ugly car! The SLK never had/has such problems.

They also just don't get the point of having the folding top! THAT'S DARN NEAR THE WHOLE POINT! Make it a hard top, you might as well call it a retro-styled Colorado. :leaving

My $.05 (adjusted for inflation).

PS: And they need a spell/grammar checker real bad over there! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey i have been a C5 guy since i bought my hardtop corvette back in 1999, but seeing the SSR in 2003, it made me feel the same as i did when i first saw a black c5 go down main street, just gorgeous. Once i got my SSR the C5 has been kicked out onto the curve. Besides getting a ferrari, lambo or 169,000 Ford GT how many other cars below 50,000 can you get that turns so many heads, the new C6 doesn;t even get a flinch out of me. Let them complain, because this car is worth every penny i paid for and the cool thing is its my daily driver.

:ssr

·
Registered
170 Posts
they just don't understand

First of all, thank you, thank you, for defending our Super-Sport-Roadster on that thread, stealing from another great vehicle of which I love (my TJ) IT'S A SSR THING, And if you have to ask then forget about it!!! I honestly have never had a set of wheels that gives me so much pleasure! It makes me grin when I see it, and laugh when I drive it and thats good enough for me. Just to step out to the porch and see it makes me feel 17, but feeling the keys in my pocket, makes me proud to be a middle-aged yuppie as those kids call us. 2otters :cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am not a member on that site, however I do view it often for all the news. When I have read some of the threads and find that just about everyone on that site slams GM in general, not just our SSRs. A while back when the Chrysler 300c came out every post was how great the 300c was and GM sucks because they don't have a similar vehicle. I get the feeling there are a bunch of people on that site who are still driving 1988 Cavaliers and wishing for the return of the IROC and GN....keep dreaming ;)

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
:agree
Fiveoh said:
I am not a member on that site, however I do view it often for all the news. When I have read some of the threads and find that just about everyone on that site slams GM in general, not just our SSRs. A while back when the Chrysler 300c came out every post was how great the 300c was and GM sucks because they don't have a similar vehicle. I get the feeling there are a bunch of people on that site who are still driving 1988 Cavaliers and wishing for the return of the IROC and GN....keep dreaming ;)
:agree

·
Premium Member
31,670 Posts
It's easy when you're back engineering.

Fiveoh said:
A while back when the Chrysler 300c came out every post was how great the 300c was and GM sucks because they don't have a similar vehicle
I'm rather glad GM doesn't have a similar vehicle. I don't like the 300 or Mugnum or chargless.

I was going to add this to my previous thread, but I was getting windy already. :) From what I've heard, the current Dodge Magnum/Charger and Chrysler 300 are based on the previous generation Mercedes E-Class platform. With the engineering there was already done, it's easy to spend time on some styling exercise on a car that's roughly the same shape and size. Oh sure, they stuffed a hummi in there, but how hard is it to really re-engineer the motor mounts for a different engine? The drivetrain of the E-class was already tough enough to suit the power.

The SSR on the other hand was an akin to ramming a square peg into a round hole - and GM mostly succeeded! :lol

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
The SSR on the other hand was an akin to ramming a square peg into a round hole - and GM mostly succeeded!

Hmmm is that where the ding in my door came from??????? :leaving :glol

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I thought responding to that discussion was great fun, in fact, I just responded to a fellow named "Elk" and his response to Marc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk
I know it’s a sport truck I was just using car in the general sense, (I'll) all call it a sport truck from now on.

(K)Now why the SSR isn’t a good sport truck: It’s not as practical as other sport trucks the bed is to small, it can’t tow as much and it can’t seat more then 2 people.

Focks said:
Its a Sport truck because you can haul something if you need to, you can even tow something if you want to, and YES we can agree that it only seat 2 people. Its not suppose to be "practical" Its supposed to be "FUN"

fun, merriment, playfulness -- (activities that are enjoyable or amusing; ``I do it for the fun of it"; "a fun thing to do'')

That is the whole point of it. Not sure how old you are, but not everyone wants to go out in a truck on a date, and who in the heck wants to take their kids with them. The idea was to have a Super Sport Roadster.

roadster, (runabout, two-seater,) or if you prefer
coupe -- (a car with two doors and front seats and a luggage compartment)

Try looking at it as a a car/truck to use when you need get out of the house, office or situation or a diversion.

diversion, recreation -- (an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates

I also have a motorcycle, but have noticed the more and more people never bother to open their eye's and see me. I guaran-darn-tee they see me now. Its a heck of a trade off.

I hope this response helps you understand the whole "point"

point -- (a brief version of the essential meaning of something)

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Focks said:
I thought responding to that discussion was great fun, in fact, I just responded to a fellow named "Elk" and his response to Marc.

Quote:

GREAT reply Focks!!! :thumbs :cool

·
Registered
43 Posts
crogan said:
Hey i have been a C5 guy since i bought my hardtop corvette back in 1999, but seeing the SSR in 2003, it made me feel the same as i did when i first saw a black c5 go down main street, just gorgeous. Once i got my SSR the C5 has been kicked out onto the curve. Besides getting a ferrari, lambo or 169,000 Ford GT how many other cars below 50,000 can you get that turns so many heads, the new C6 doesn;t even get a flinch out of me. Let them complain, because this car is worth every penny i paid for and the cool thing is its my daily driver.

:ssr
YOUR RIGHT THE C6, looks to me like a plain basic Carmo, SSR is hot, roadster-truck, way cool... :thumbs :ssr :cool

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wonder how many

of those guys on that other web site bought a $40,000 auto without even a test drive? Well I did! I knew when I left the house that day I wanted one (SSR) in the worst way....and by gosh I went out and got it. To this day-no regrets! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I'm one of them

Yaller Dog said:
of those guys on that other web site bought a $40,000 auto without even a test drive? Well I did! I knew when I left the house that day I wanted one (SSR) in the worst way....and by gosh I went out and got it. To this day-no regrets! :rolleyes:
I also purchased my SSR without test driving. All I did was sit in the seats and I knew this was the one. The red tag on my SSR could have been a few thousand more and I still would have paid. I was not leaving the dealer without my SSR. (and I guess they knew that because we did not haggle). :rolleyes:

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Me too!!

Never test drove it before I bought it. Paid $3k over MSRP and haven't looked back since the day I drove it home. End of discussion :thumbs

P/P

Peace :flag

1 - 20 of 26 Posts