Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you decide to close Lansing Craft Center, and discontinue one of the best vehicles GM has produced in years, GMs future is in DANGER! If Lansing must be closed MOVE SSR production somewhere else DON'T KILL it, MARKET IT. I should hope GM and its top brass are not that STUPID as to let such a fantastic truck like the SSr go to the wayside. Chevrolet needs a halo car now that John Peters and Dave Hill screwed the C6 Corvette up so badly. Get your heads out of your A$$es and make a decision to KEEP SSr in production and market the thing the right way. SAVE THE SSr :ssr

:flag

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I hear they are not making to many Tahoes and other big SUVs in the Arlington, TX. Move the SSR production there. Besides, it is convertible weather all year in Texas..

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Good Point

ssr3 said:
I hear they are not making to many Tahoes and other big SUVs in the Arlington, TX. Move the SSR production there. Besides, it is convertible weather all year in Texas..

Good point :thumbs I expected more of these to sell in MI-you know we are the motor city capital! But the economy is just to damn bad here. Maybe they would have done better if they would have advertised them more outwest :confused
Oh Well nothing can be done now!!!!. Mistakes made at the beginning-priced to high and not enough advertising. I hate to see the Lansing plant close but GM has to find a way to stay a float and it isn't with the SSR.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Production stops . . . value will go up !

I think the only thing that's going to help those that paid sticker for their SSR is for GM to "dump" the SSR. This will immediately (and unfortunately) put it in an "Edsel" classification, but will probably drive its value up.

GM has other problems to worry about and right now the bean counters must rule. Bordering on bankruptcy, this is no time to promote pet projects, but get down to the brass tacks of selling well-built economical cars and trucks.

Gary (WearyEagle

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
There's A Contradiction In Terms

well-built economical cars and trucks.

These two just don't go together. I've seen well built vehicles and economical vehicles, but I've never seen a well built economical one. In order to make it economical they have to cut corners, and the well built lasting quality is what suffers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
FUZZY said:

These two just don't go together. I've seen well built vehicles and economical vehicles, but I've never seen a well built economical one. In order to make it economical they have to cut corners, and the well built lasting quality is what suffers.
:agree :agree :agree

·
Registered
893 Posts
LAST of the SSR's

If your wanting a new SSR.......you better get it now.........thats all I can say.....Or I'll lose my happy home....,.The Bell has tolled and the Plug is all but pulled.......Remember how the T'bird slowly slid away this year....... :yesnod

·
Registered
220 Posts
Be Happy

Whitewolf said:
If your wanting a new SSR.......you better get it now.........thats all I can say.....Or I'll lose my happy home....,.The Bell has tolled and the Plug is all but pulled.......Remember how the T'bird slowly slid away this year....... :yesnod
"Don't Worry...Be Happy" is the way the Jamaican's live...it would be good advice for current and future SSR drivers. :)

We are the lucky ones...let's enjoy our luck and stop trying to change GM! :nono

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dougnc said:
Didn't they stop production on the corvette for a few years when it first came out?
Nooo,.. but they almost killed it too when sales went slow in its early years. There was no 1983 model however because of production problems with the then new C4 platform.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Think you took me wrong.....

MelloYello said:
"Don't Worry...Be Happy" is the way the Jamaican's live...it would be good advice for current and future SSR drivers. :)

We are the lucky ones...let's enjoy our luck and stop trying to change GM! :nono

*****This does not make me unhappy......Just the reverse........I own several cars that have been discontinued........the value goes up........And you can't say thats happening to the SSR.........prices and values have been dropping like a rock......or havn't you been reading the threads in here.......I didn't buy mine to make money.........but if it happens ......then just the better for it..... :yesnod

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
How did they screw up the C6 - everything I've read about it is raving about the performance, fit and finish and styling.

I think it's the best design every, and blows away virtually anything under 250K.

When the Z06 arrives, there isn't a supercar around that will touch it.

I haven't owned a Vette in years, and unlikely to again, but that Z06 sure is tempting.

Ray

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I would disagree . . . . . .

FUZZY said:

It would seem the converse of these statements should then be, "if its NOT economical it MUST be well built". And almost all of us that drive a $50k SSR know that isn't true (potential buyers have seemed to discover that also).

This whole scenario playing out in the midst of $3 gasoline just won't work. Trying to make a truck that qualifies for the IRS 179 Rule (GVWR over 6,000 lbs) and still be a "hot" roadster (Mustangs at half the price can wipe us out) just didn't work.

Incidentally, Toyota seems to have no problem making an economical well-built truck or car. I recently bought one for my lead man from an aerospace engineer I knew. A paid $3500 (Toy long bed with 295,000 miles ! Never had a wrench on it. Runs like a top. Indestructible. Uses a half quart of oil every 3000 miles ! ! :rolleyes: I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but stories like this abound.

What no one seems to address is the incredible problem GM has with its employee benefits package which puts it 2.5 BILLION in the hole at the beginning of every year. Hard to do anything "economical" with this anchor tied around your neck. Unfortunately, the unions won't get it, until there is no GM anymore and no employees to pay union dues. Then they'll all wander around wondering "Whah hoppend ?"

Sorry for the rant.

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Registered
740 Posts
WearyEagle said:
It would seem the converse of these statements should then be, "if its NOT economical it MUST be well built". And almost all of us that drive a $50k SSR know that isn't true (potential buyers have seemed to discover that also).

This whole scenario playing out in the midst of $3 gasoline just won't work. Trying to make a truck that qualifies for the IRS 179 Rule (GVWR over 6,000 lbs) and still be a "hot" roadster (Mustangs at half the price can wipe us out) just didn't work.

Incidentally, Toyota seems to have no problem making an economical well-built truck or car. I recently bought one for my lead man from an aerospace engineer I knew. A paid $3500 (Toy long bed with 295,000 miles ! Never had a wrench on it. Runs like a top. Indestructible. Uses a half quart of oil every 3000 miles ! ! :rolleyes: I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but stories like this abound.

What no one seems to address is the incredible problem GM has with its employee benefits package which puts it 2.5 BILLION in the hole at the beginning of every year. Hard to do anything "economical" with this anchor tied around your neck. Unfortunately, the unions won't get it, until there is no GM anymore and no employees to pay union dues. Then they'll all wander around wondering "Whah hoppend ?"

Sorry for the rant.

Gary (WearyEagle)
Well, a lot of the 2.5 billion in benefits has to do with health insurance, which, of course, Japanese companies don't have to worry about.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Bell has tolled and plug has been pulled!!!!!

As you will see in above listed threads.......we knew it was comming.....My comment was if you wanted a 2006 ....Buy it now or else forget it...... Now Pricing on our SSR will start to change the other way........Up..........It will be slow......but it will happen......Just hide and watch what happens over the next 6 mths.......Try to get a bargin basement price on a 2006 now :lol :lol So ya want a new spring edition ........good luck.......when and if they ever roll.........We now own an Orphan.... :seeya

·
Registered
217 Posts
IllinoisSSR said:
If you decide to close Lansing Craft Center, and discontinue one of the best vehicles GM has produced in years, GMs future is in DANGER! If Lansing must be closed MOVE SSR production somewhere else DON'T KILL it, MARKET IT. I should hope GM and its top brass are not that STUPID as to let such a fantastic truck like the SSr go to the wayside. Chevrolet needs a halo car now that John Peters and Dave Hill screwed the C6 Corvette up so badly. Get your heads out of your A$$es and make a decision to KEEP SSr in production and market the thing the right way. SAVE THE SSr :ssr

:flag
You have to be kidding. They are have problem selling them! Let alone all the lemon law claims.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Lemons??????/

Some time I wonder how many lemons there really are .....Or just a comb of lemon owners and lemon GM Service......It's now time to take Lemons and make "Lemon Aid"..................Just one mans opinion who likes to build cars......Ya know ......Take a pigs ear.........and make a "Jeweled Purse".......so to speak :lol :lol :lol :seeya

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
My 05 Aqua Blur has almost 17,000 miles on it and I have had NO problems with it. In fact, it's been to the dealership for repairs less than any vehicle I've ever owned. I DIDN'T GET A LEMON!!....I do have the tink.....so what, it's not a mechanical problem...We have picked this truck to pieces and gripped about every little thing, when all that really matters is it gets me from point A to point B and I have a hell of a lot of fun getting there. I will keep this truck as long as possibly can and and be very proud that I own a NEW CLASSIC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The C6 corvette is the best vette in years, they are selling as fast as production will allow. The Z06 C6 vette is the fastest car I have ever owned, it will smoke any production car on the road. This car will sell out for the next 2 years, there will be no discounts sticker +. The car is totally killer fit + finish performance all outstanding!
Ted :ssr

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hardly a Lemon

I owned a Marauder for a bit over two years, bought new in July of '03. Marauders experienced the exact same problems with high expectations, dealer greed, and eventually, the bottom dropped out of the market and dealers wound up with a bunch of cars they couldn't sell. Huge discounts, rebates, then 0 percent financing, they moved off the lots. They went into 04 as the last year of production with some minor improvements, a factory sunroof available, and a new color. Sales were still aweful, and a lot of dealers who were stuck with 03s didn't order any stock 04 units. The bread and butter at a Mercury dealer was (and is) Gran Marquis sedans sold to an older owner than those who the Marauder appealed to.

Unlike the SSR, the Marauder was built on the same assembly line as the Crown Victoria and Gran Marquis. Consider that the big fleet seller to law enforcement, fire departments, and the taxi trade the CV has, and you can see dropping in the occasional Marauder in the mix was no big deal. Still, Ford pulled the plug on the car with no hesitation. They still crank out Crown Vics and Gran Marquis.

So, with the huge production of the Panther body cars, essentially the same car for many years, with engineering improvements, you'd think there wouldn't be a lot of warranty issues, tsb's and the like, eh?

Wrong. 03 Marauders had problems with faulty axles. Mine were replaced under warrantee. Headlights that collected water. TSB on that one, too, and I had a warranty claim there as well. Valve ticking, check. The 32 V 4.6 modular engine shared a problem with the Mustang that never was really fixed. Poor coolant circulation on the rearmost cylinders was also a problem (one aftermarket shop actually made a kit that rerouted coolant outside the block through the freeze plugs, then dumped it back into the rear part of the block.) Transmissions that failed such that Ford put in a different tranny in the 04's. Fuel gauges that fell off of full too quickly, then gave too high a reading the rest of the way. Bad lighting control modules (also a warranty issue). Wrong factory specs on the front alignment that cause premature tire wear. Radio head units that stopped getting signals. Wiring harness that chafed. PCMS that cooked themselves. Power window motors that failed. It was endless.

All and all, considering that only 11,000 or so Marauders were built, I would say there were MORE warranty issues, TSB's and annoying failures on that car than on the SSR, based on what I've read here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts