Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only is the price for the fabulous SSR outrageous in Canada (MSRP $69995)...the GTO is not even available either. That's it...I am going buy Ford from now on! GM you just lost a loyal customer of 25 years!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a chat with a salesperson at the recent autoshow here in Edmonton. Proof they have no clue what they are talking about. We argued over the MSRP of the SSR in Canada. First he said, "we have sold everyone we got" Well DUH! the must have crowd is buying, of course they will be sold. He told me that they only made about 2500 in 2003...proof #1 he doesn't know anything because I know they made more than that for 03. #2 he said they are only making 5000 a year in 2004 on...Is this true?...I doubt it, maybe someone in the know can confirm this. I heard double that to maybe 15000 units a year.

I sent a registered letter to the President of GM Canada with my huge disappointment with the pricing and what is available in Canada. I doubt he will answer but I am curious either way.

My wife thinks I should wait to see if the price drops on the SSR before I buy something. She wants the SSR. I am not buying anything until spring of 2005 so a lot can happen, but I highly doubt there will be a price drop, that has never happened as far I as I know.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Hi, Wylde

I'll be at the Edmonton Boat Show March 11 - 14, with Supra/Moomba. I'll be the oldest guy there!! Drop in if you can - look forward to meeting another SSR basket case. I'm looking forward to visiting showrooms in Edmonton - had the same experience in Vancouver and Calgary - the sales guys really get messed up when you correct them on values and totals - I couldn't believe how many had no idea how pricing compared to the US - lots of fun popping their balloons with numbers on EBay bidding.

Really had fun with the sales guy who told me GM was building 500 a year - till I pointed out a serial number in the 3200 range staring him in the face.

As far as totals, keep in mind that 03 deliveries only started in mid October, and they built about 3400 03's by mid January. If they maintain production at 1000 units a month, that should allow for 12000 04's - original estimates were at 15000 units per year, so I'm assuming they would have production ramped up to 1200+ a month. That seems to be pretty close - assuming that 04 production started around #3400 mid January, serial # 5432 was for sale on EBay Feb 26th., and #5660 was advertised as "arriving soon" That would mean about 2000 units built in 6 weeks.

Hope to meet you in Edmonton

Ray

·
Registered
413 Posts
production

04 production started mid december mine#3770 was produced first week jan and is an 04

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Sorry about that - thought it was later based on prior threads - thanks for the correction.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Flassh

I will try to make it, but not being an owner of boats or RV's (with no aspirations to get any either) I will be trying to get some freebie tickets to get in. Can you hook me up with a pair.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Hi, Wylde - we get a show pass to get through the gates, but not much generosity with comp passes - I'm there as a factory rep for the dealer.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well see when the time comes closer, I have friend who usually goes to that show, I may tag along with him.

...on an other note, I got a call from GM in regards to the registered letter I sent them last week. The guy I spoke to was named Steve and although he was very polite, he told me the only thing he could do about the pricing of the SSR was bring it up at the next marketing meeting. They believe it's priced right and I let him know that there is a lot of us Canadians who are really ticked off at the huge price difference between US and Canadian pricing. He gave me the number to his direct line and said I can call him anytime in the future if I have more questions or comments. As for pricing, he couldn't say whether it will be adjusted or not. As for the GTO not being available he said marketing believes it wouldn't sell well in Canada and therefore not available. What a load of crap.

Time will tell...we will see if the SSR pricing is adjusted or not in the future...I'm betting it will and it will likely be up rather than down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Canadian pricing

Well here in St.John's They have a red one they are asking 57.5 I talked to him and his best price is 55. I boughtr one in Indania with 1000 miles on it for 50.500 with 1sb pkg and running boards. I can't understand ywhy they were priced 20.000 more than there woth as far as I'm concered 2004 are a year old and all they are worth is 50,000. There are 2003 out there and they still want 55 for them there only worth 45 Fell sorry for all you guys that paid 78 for them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
GTOs arent selling anywhere big flop in sales styling was a big dissapointment

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Hey, Stormin

How are you making out with warranty on your SSR? My dealer had received a letter from GM saying they would block warranty on any imported SSR with less than 6 months in service (sold at retail in the US) AND 7500 miles.

I wanted mine for spring, and although I could probably have bought a new one for the same price, didn't want to risk GM's big stick (hell of a way to force Canadians to bend over and pay up). Found one that had an in service date of November 1, so was able to bring it up in early May.

When I brought mine up, the dealer had the zone service rep check it out before they would do any work to it. I had to document the purchase date, and produce the title, showing mileage at time of purchase. Word from the service manager was that the zone rep OK'd warranty, but wanted me to install a new cluster with the primary scale in KM - at a cost of $1800 Can - told him that wasn't going to happen - he backed off, and said it was a safety recommendation, not a requirement.

Anyway, I love the truck, had a great summer with it, but will probably take a beating if I want to sell it to get the new 6 speed. I'm probably under $50K. I know a couple of the guys who paid the 80K, and they are really choked - they've seen mine at car shows, with a price on the window, and know I haven't sold it yet - they've blown off over $30000 in the last few months.

So now I'm torn between the extra horsepower and the 6 speed, and hanging on to a truck that was built in the first 10 days, carries a cool serial number (for chevy nuts) - #567, and has a lot of great memories from a hot summer with the first new toy in the area. Definitely got my money's worth in the attention department.

Just in case it stays, I'm going to SEMA in Vegas in November, to check out the new toys (superchargers, wheels, trim, etc) available for the SSR - got to make it new and different for next spring if it's staying.

Ray

·
Registered
152 Posts
BUY in the U.S.A. ????

GM Canada really seems to be out to lunch..... they show a MSRP of nearly $80 thousand Canadian dollars for a well equiped SSr that, at the current exchange rate is availabe in USA for the equivalent of about $60 Canadian at full MSRP ($46,500 at $0.77). At the apparent US$40k purchase price, this is hardly $52 thousand Canadian.

According to the Canadian Government's Department of Transport website, this vehicle is readily importable into Canada without any changes!

One has to wonder what sort of stuff the guys at GM Canada have been smoking but it sure does explain why the dealers up there are not selling the SSr's they have and most of the SSr's registered have been imported by individuals; the price is current US market price for a new SSr at retail (US$40k or about $52k Canadian is still thousands below what a dealer in Canada has to pay for a truck!

I would wonder how the pricing guys at GM Canada are able to keep their jobs as this is really poor (i.e. unethical) on GM Canada's part and is causing the dealers up there real problems as many have 3-5 SSr's that are not saleable without taking a $10k loss.....

:rant

·
Registered
6 Posts
Canadian pricing

SSRGuy
You are totally right When I was searching for one. I found 2 -03's the average price for them was 55 k There is a 04 here they want 58 k I paid 50k for a 1sb with running boards it was used and a 1000 miles on it. I was pissed off when
I saw the price when they came out.I don't think they are worth 78 k . If you take off the what they loose over time a 03 is worth 45k and a 04 50k 05 take off30 % and that is all there worth. It is no wonder they arn't selling up here or we go to the US and buy one as I did. I got and the inspections and my plates yesterday and did not have to do anything to the truck the inspection cost me $47.So the way I look at it I saved 40% off the price when they came out you would have to be afool not to buy one in the US
Stormin

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Norm,

Have you been to your Chevy store locally yet? - Let us know how you make out with warranty. As I indicated, that's GM Canada's big stick to keep us buying at home, and I've heard from several dealers that GM is really pursuing it. With prices tanking in the US, and dealers in Canada stuck with way too many units, I wouldn't expect much co-operation from dealers. I made sure mine had over 12000K before I purchased it, and the zone rep wanted proof that it was 6 months old/12000 k.

I'd hate to see a major problem with the top hydraulics, or the engine losing a rod, and not be covered. Could have bought new for what I paid for mine, but didn't want to risk not having warranty.

Re: the auxiliary gauge set - part # 10387279 - $634 Can, $507 jobber from my local GM dealer. Available from GMpartsdirect at $312 US (still too high), and on EBay from factory-customs for $289 (be careful dealing with him on EBay, though - I had one bad experience, and although I want the gauge set and he has the best price, I won't buy from him. Check his feedback before you bid.

Ray

·
Registered
152 Posts
Canadian Pricing

Am not sure how GM Canada could have scewed up so badly on the SSr as most GM product is actually a touch cheaper in Canada than in the USA, exchange adjusted... although the dollar is very strong right now and that may not be the case for much longer! Note that when the SSr came out the Canada/US exchange rate would have to have been less than $0.59 to each Canadian, not something that has been in the trading range so is completly moronic, particularly with a vehicle that is factory compliant and can move back and forth without difficulty... HELLO

My work colleague, at Magna, bought his in USA with the GM CPP so guarantee issues were never a problem plus he is well connected and doubt there would be any issues getting a warantee repair. He also tells me that GM Canada is headed for the same problem with the C6 Corvette pricing.

:jester

·
Registered
137 Posts
Flassh said:
Norm,

Have you been to your Chevy store locally yet? - Let us know how you make out with warranty. As I indicated, that's GM Canada's big stick to keep us buying at home, and I've heard from several dealers that GM is really pursuing it. With prices tanking in the US, and dealers in Canada stuck with way too many units, I wouldn't expect much co-operation from dealers. I made sure mine had over 12000K before I purchased it, and the zone rep wanted proof that it was 6 months old/12000 k.

I'd hate to see a major problem with the top hydraulics, or the engine losing a rod, and not be covered. Could have bought new for what I paid for mine, but didn't want to risk not having warranty.

Re: the auxiliary gauge set - part # 10387279 - $634 Can, $507 jobber from my local GM dealer. Available from GMpartsdirect at $312 US (still too high), and on EBay from factory-customs for $289 (be careful dealing with him on EBay, though - I had one bad experience, and although I want the gauge set and he has the best price, I won't buy from him. Check his feedback before you bid.

Ray

I purchased a car cover from factory customs on ebay earlier this year and had no issues. It is only one transaction but it did go smoothly.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Glad you did OK - my problem stemmed from using Paypal for floormats I was purchasing. I've never had a problem with Paypal on EBAy before, but his system is set up not to accept a Paypal where the VISA billing address doesn't match the shipping address. I use a US shipping address for all purchases, and most sellers don't ship out of the continental US. I tried to phone him, left messages, sent several emails, but ho reply. He then hit me with a negative feedback (the only one I've ever received ) for not paying for the purchase.

I really want the gauge set (taking the SSR to Vegas for the SEMA show, and would like all the information I can get on how my toy is behaving), but I don't want to risk another problem.

PS - bought the floormats from another vendor on EBay with no problem.

Ray

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ray
I did get into a bit of a match with gm about warranty. I wanted it in writing about this 6 month thing and they would not give it to me. Before I bought the truck I asked the dealer here if he had any problem with doing the work if need be he said no problem. Hopefully nothing gos wrong. I was also told that after 6 months and the k's you dop get the warrenty but this agian I could not get in writing.Thanks for the part # and pricing. Mine has reached the 6 months as for the ks it won't hit 12000 till next year short summer in NF.Do you have any major rattles in yours mine seems to have a few haven't found them yet.
Norm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts