Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detroit Free Press October 22nd

GM to idle Chevy SSR line
The Chevrolet SSR has a big fan in General Motors Corp. CEO Rick Wagoner. But poor sales have GM temporarily shutting down the Lansing Craft Centre, where the automaker assembles the pickup.

GM decided Friday that it will stop production of the SSR for six weeks beginning Monday, spokesman Dan Flores said. The 330 hourly workers at the plant, who are to return to work Dec. 5, are used to some downtime. GM has already halted production at the plant for a total of 21 weeks this year. U.S. sales of the sporty, $40,000 truck have fallen 7% to just 6,743 through the first nine months of this year.

·
Registered
395 Posts
With the SSRs track record on poor sales and idled plant time you almost have to think it's future is in jeporady. Especially with GM hurting right now they've got to start trimming costs and I doubt if the SSR divisionis a big profit center which doesn't help ? ? ? ? :confused

·
Registered
395 Posts
You must also remember the Corvair was built about 35 years ago whem GM was in control without every foreign country eating away at them.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
I saw the Nader film about the Corvair driving stability. Most Corvair drivers will tell that when you watch the film versus the other car (Ford Falcon), the driver rigged the test. He drove off the course intentionaly. You have to watch his hands versus when he drove the
Falcon. I autocrossed against stock Corvairs and never beat one. My friend still has 4 and drives a convert to work every day for the last 30 years. Their flat rear engines are great.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know how many of you may remember the corvair Spyder, that was a helluva car back then and if you could locate one now I'm sure you would pay
BIG $$$ for it. How about a Cosworth Vega ? ? ? ? :thumbs

·
A Little BIG JIM
3,351 Posts
Bill Scott said:
I don't know how many of you may remember the corvair Spyder, that was a helluva car back then and if you could locate one now I'm sure you would pay
BIG $$$ for it. How about a Cosworth Vega ? ? ? ? :thumbs
Here are a few photos from the GM Heritage Center Tour Last August '05, sorry they are a little fuzzy.........

·
Registered
442 Posts
Keep your Corvairs...... I want that silver Caddy!!!!!!!!!! Damn, but the Cadillac Sixteen is one sweet looking vehicle and I sure thought they would have something out by now that at least looked something like it, but........ no......

·
Registered
374 Posts
Fiveoh said:
I hate to admit it but I think our SSR's are doomed...:(
There was a lot of hand wringing when Marauders went out of production after the 04 model year, but it resulted (now) in an uptick in the value of the cars in the used market. And that car is essentiall still being built without the hod rod parts as a Grand Marquis and Crown Vic. SSR's have no sister models built on the same assembly line. If it goes out of production, the value of used SSRs will turn upwards, once all the new ones are sold and the remaining SSR's start attrition to due accidents or other mishaps. It'll take a year or so to start.

Also, owners of older SSR's may consider trading in for the final production year models, which a lot of Marauder owners did in order to get newer cars with fewer miles... and the options that weren't available on their older cars.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Keep in mind it was a planned short run from the start. I was hopeing it would last a couple more years so I could bank some bucks.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On Time?

Mr. Ping said:
One of us out here ordered a 2006 that was supposed to be built the first week of November.

WOW Keep us posted on what happens. Have you heard anything about not getting your 2006 SSR on Time? I sure hope you don't have to wait to long.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Conflicted

One side of me thinks the end of production will help keep the value of the SSR's up and keep the WOW factor strong, the other side know that the limited production run will ensure that the already limited aftermaket choices will only get worse. I'm glad I got in when I did :cool

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was out of town this weekend and didn't find out about the closure until I logged on.

Perhaps it is wishful thinking but if things are "slow" there, may my order got moved up.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
SSRs and Corvairs

I think I'm covered - got one of each. Guess I'm a sucker for the orphans made by Chevy. They're both fun to drive, autocross, get stares, blast around the streets ans corners, not to metion stop better than most other cars out there.

Keep the rubber side on the ground and keep driving. That's what they were built to do. :cool

·
Registered
395 Posts
You still naad a Vega to complete your set, I've had them all and the ironic part is
I liked them ! ! ! ! ! So I don't think it's us, the rest of the world missed the boat ! ! :thumbs

1 - 20 of 48 Posts