Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,398 Posts
Going to look at a 2004, priced about $7000.00 less than the other 2 near me, all 3 are red.
You can't go wrong with RED. First is it a private seller or dealer. Private selling should know more about the truck. Try and get as much info on repairs and service as possible. Find out if any of upgrades have been done How many miles. Low miles may mean original tires which should be replaced. Make sure top works and has no oil leaks in cylinders and reservoir.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,437 Posts
After the usual stuff like maybe a car fax, the oil and transmission fluid for signs of are and abuse. Start to open the top and look in the top well for signs of roof leaking. You can stop the roof opening after the rear compartment raises and before the top starts to drop. After inspecting that go ahead and open the top all the way listen to see if it drops and makes a loud clung when it puts the top all the way down.

Under the hood look at the upper control arm bushings. I have seen them bad on as low as low 40k trucks. Make sure everything is there. Engine insert, check the hood emblem for breaks from someone grabbing it to open the hood. Check the bed area. Look at the top of it at the corners, if people have been slamming it with out opening the tail gate it can cause small dents from the bottom up. Check seats to make sure they work, check all gauges to make sure they all work. drive it. Also check tires for dates on them.

Look under the truck for rear main seal on the engine for leaks and transmission for leaks.
How many miles on it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The $7000 price difference could be the private owner that has this one, 68,000 miles on it now, there are two dealers near me one is about $26,000 and the other is about $28,000 they have about 37,000 miles on them.

The one I’m going to look at says very expensive high mileage tires with 2000 miles on them, Also says stored in a heated garage with a SSR custom cover over it. Says the exterior is flawless.

We have had many jeeps over the years which we like haven’t had one in a few years now but we are looking for a convertible just to go for drives thought about the SSR instead of a jeep just not sure which one we should get, I know they’re two different things but my wife has always loved the look of the SSR since they came out, she has always like jeeps as well and I know the legroom is not the best in the jeep so maybe to take a drive around the lakes or over to upper Michigan, I’m in Minnesota, maybe the SSR would be way more comfortable for a longer ride.

Here are a couple pictures he sent me

·
Premium Member
7,398 Posts
Yes private dealer would be the way to go. Ask about upgrades, and what maintenance has been done. Do your homework on the SSR. That way you can go in and ask questions and know you're not getting a wrong answer. Looks like a good truck. You will enjoy the PERMAGRIN.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up driving a 2003 today, they sound really nice with the top up or top down, it did have a scratch in the retractable top the part behind your head and one cup holder bracket was broke, that is at the dealer close to my house they want a little over $28,000 for it.

We also like jeeps because we’ve had them the whole 40 years we’ve been married but I got rid of the last one I had because I have arthritis in my knees and I had manual transmission so I wouldn’t mind an automatic transmission jeep, I just have to decide do I want another jeep or the SSR

·
Slingshot Rules!
79,652 Posts

A Jeep vs an SSR, Sprinkler? Definitely a "Night vs Day" comparison.

I have a 1986 Jeep CJ-7 with an Automatic, Power Steering, Power Brakes and Factory Air Conditioning. Fantastic, "Show Stopping" vehicle out here in the Desert Southwest but cannot be compared with my 2005 SSR.

My suggestion . . . Adopt one of each.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,010 Posts
You don't say where you're located. Do you have salted roads where the trucks are ? You may want to have someone go with you to check for rust under the dash, seats, the frame and suspension parts for corrosion. Photos would help make your decision.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,201 Posts
@Sprinkler Fitter, Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, you can add that later, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,251 Posts
Great looking truck Voodoo looks like some extras on it, great paint job,running boards painted, chrome rims, and the BIG plus it's the Original color.......he should have no trouble selling it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't say where you're located. Do you have salted roads where the trucks are ? You may want to have someone go with you to check for rust under the dash, seats, the frame and suspension parts for corrosion. Photos would help make your decision.
I live in Minnesota. The car owner keeps the car in a heated garage when not driving, covered and stored in heated garage all winter

·
Slingshot Rules!
79,652 Posts
Please post where you live. I know about 2004 loaded with 38,000 miles. The asking price is $26,500.00.It's not a daily driver...garage queen...covered inside a garage...
the owner doesn't have time to drive it.

Definitely a BEAUTY, VooDoo . . .

Bet it doesn't last long.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,566 Posts
@voodoophantom
if I am not mistaken this looks like yours.

Going to car shows may not be driving it, but it's still enjoying it. Maybe try attending car shows further from home. Come to Columbus once and awhile. Best of both worlds.

It's a beautiful SSR. Best of luck whatever your decision is.

If this is not your SSR then
"Never Mind"

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I ended up driving a 2003 today, they sound really nice with the top up or top down, it did have a scratch in the retractable top the part behind your head and one cup holder bracket was broke, that is at the dealer close to my house they want a little over $28,000 for it.

We also like jeeps because we’ve had them the whole 40 years we’ve been married but I got rid of the last one I had because I have arthritis in my knees and I had manual transmission so I wouldn’t mind an automatic transmission jeep, I just have to decide do I want another jeep or the SSR
$28K for an '03 is pretty steep unless there's something really special about it. I'd be looking at the high teens to low $20's for a decent '03 or '04 driver.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
@ Autoprof
It's mine...last year with CV19...stopping every thing... and my knee operation July 2nd ...5 more weeks of re-hab...then the possibility my left knee...will be replaced...and it sits in the garage covered and on battery tender. It should be on the road and driven. cheers.....thank you all for the nice comments...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts