Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK ...... It's six weeks since I started the task of waking up my 2004 SSR!!
It's finished and I would like to have a little guessing game here of what the dyno is going to say after it goes through the last step of an LS1 Edit Tune-UP. I,m going to list what I put into my SSR and would like some guesses on what kind of street monster I built???? I'll tell you right now before I list the parts my guess is an easy 500 plus HP. And that's just what I feel from driving it.

SO:
My SSR has an LM4 engine block, the LM4 was stroked 9mm and has all the same internal parts as all Gen.III motors except the pistons are coated on the Vettes.
I kept the bottom end and changed the entire top end to all ZO6 parts including a ZO6 cam which has longer duration (much better for the supercharger). The ZO6 heads with the larger valves and ported intake and exhaust for better flow. Using these heads on the LM4 block dropped the compression to 9:1 which is great for me because I am running a MagnaCharger with their killer 2.8 pulley that puts out 16-18 pounds of boost. (putting a MagnaCharger on a stock 04 you can only safely run 6-10 pounds). I am using a K&N high flow 73 series air filter with heat shield. The supercharger comes with an intercooler and its own pump and fuel pump also. I am running a Davis aluminum radiator with two 1 inch cores and had the fan programmed to turn on at a lower temperature. I have a separate transmission cooler also. Since the lifters are roller from the factory I changed the rockers to roller also. To my free flowing ZO6 top end I bolted on a set of Dynamax long tube header with their nice neat little Preformance Cat's. From there I am using the CORSA CatBack system .....what an outrageous sound, at idle you would never know if you pulled up next to me what you where getting yourself into. What RAW this system lets out!!!!!

To get this HP to the ground I installed a set of 4:56 gears and sent my torque convertor out to a company called "Pro Torque" where they cut it open and hand build to suit your needs. I got back a 3800 stall speed torque converter, the modulators in the transmission where also changed. The Superchips people gave me all they were capable of programming and on Tuesday the 18th I am going to the Dyno but before that they are going to tune my SSR up with the LS1 Edit Program and do some DEEP TUNING.

I drove my SSR all this weekend to break in the gears, cam and top end. Driving normal she shifts out of first gear right away, when I finally got nerve to really jump on the throttle it held first gear almost to 3000rpm. I did the 1/8th mile and was doing almost 85 mph when I got out of it. Man.... what a fun ride that was!!!! On the parkway the tack read 2000 RPM at 55 mph in overdrive.

SO............. what do you think the DYNO is going to say the HP is after my SSR has been deep tuned??????

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I say at best you will see 350-375 RWHP with everything you have. You will have a real hard time building 16-18 pounds of boost with a 2.8 pulley. The supercharger you have installed on an 05 with a 2.9 pulley will only produce 6 pounds of boost. Do you have a boost guage and are you spraying nitrous at the same time, the 2 combined is the only way you will see 500 RWHP. The stock low end will not handle it for long nor will your transmission. The 4L60E is a weak transmission to start unless you perform all the modifications I posted in your earlier thread. Either way it will be alot more fun then what you had before, enjoy it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will .............. Tuesday night I will post the results, I hope I don't have my hopes set to high:( How much did they say you have to spend per HP gained??????

·
Registered
127 Posts
paulny -- I'm going to guess at 400 HP. I dyno'ed at 375 without the cam and I had installed the supercharger, headers, flowmaster, 160 tstat and 4:56 gears, and K&N Aircharger set-up. The computer was set up using the HP Tuner. I will be installing the Ron Davis radiator and Spal fan( 16" @ 3000scfm ) when they get done building it. I will be replacing the tranny and converter next. The SSR definately "runs" alot better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary

Is your K&N set up all off center with you supercharger intake? K&N's heat shield is slotted to the passenger side and the hole for the intake tube is not in the center of the heat sheild. I have been trying to get K&N tech. to fix this problem but they have their heads in the sand. If only I could get my hand on a milling machine and some sheet metal equipment I could fix this problem in an hour. The problems of being a retired machinist:(

·
Registered
127 Posts
paulny -- It is centered now and I have rubber hose around it. I'm happy with it. I've always felt that it was slotted towards the passenger side for the torque of the engine. if it wasn't slotted the rubber inlet would start to tear over time. My $.02 worth.

·
Registered
269 Posts
MY guess

paulny said:
Driving normal she shifts out of first gear right away, when I finally got nerve to really jump on the throttle it held first gear almost to 3000rpm.

SO............. what do you think the DYNO is going to say the HP is after my SSR has been deep tuned??????
Not sure what you mean by "held 1st to 3000rpm"???

Is that where it shifts or the converter lets it flash?

500 might be a little high...I hope it works for you...My guess 420ish RWHP.

Lets us know.

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
My Guess..

I guess 390 HP. I have 310 HP, but that just means the cop will see you first, and while you are getting a ticket, I will cruise by :seeya

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I ment, when I kept in the gas she held first gear to 3000 rpm. If I just drive normal first gear goes by in a second or two. The way I step on the gas I can make her short shift hard or soft, but if I just stay in it she shifted at 3000 rpm. It needs to see the tuner, all the right stuff is there just needs someone who knows how to tweeek the program. Otherwise I am having fun with her anyway, sounds great and feels fast. Hey... I'm going to be 54 the last hotrod I had was my Hemi Cuda back in the 70'ies .... hmm wish I had her back :(

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Paulny: I am thinking 400 to 415 rear wheel hp = 480 to 500 crank hp.

Your weak point is that catback exhaust system. With the amount of money you spent, an extra $1000 right now (BEFORE a meticulous dyno tune) for a true dual exhaust system would get you a lot of additional bang for the buck. (Type "MTI Dual Shotgun" into the search feature to see the key features required)

The Z06 heads are an unwise expense with the LM4 displacement because the chamber volume is too large for the 5.3 liter displacement. While you are repeating the often quoted comment about lower compression for a supercharged engine, the Magnacharger kit is designed for use with the normal higher compression on these engines, so these heads are not a good way to spend the money on an LM4. If you want better heads, and money is no object, get a set of CNC machined heads with the right chamber volume.

Be careful on pushing that boost too high. Lots of expensive problems can result.

In addition, you are the limit for stock connecting rod BOLTS. More power will make aftermarket bolts a really good idea.

The 3800 rpm stall torque converter is higher than I would personally go, but it depends on your overall objectives. If you are targeting quickest acceleration you can get from this combination of vehilce and engine, you have done the right thing, but your OVERALL part throttle response is suffering as a result. I would have gone more like 2500 to 2800 rpm stall I think for broader use. The high 3800 stall speed has one subtle advantage for raw acceleration that most people would not realize: it helps the engine get past that awful rpm drop when the tranny shifts from 1st gear to 2nd. The engine rpm drops to around 3000 rpm with a normal sub-2000 rpm troque converter. Your 3800 stall speed converter will allow the engine to stay at a higher rpm where it makes more power.

Note that both the torque converter and the 4.56 gearing add zero extra horsepower. What they do is enable you to apply what horsepower you DO have BETTER towards accelerating the vehicle. I discuss this in Chapter 12 of my book.

Even with everything you have done, do NOT go street racing. You will be embarassed by those that do it well (not amateurs), simply because you started with a 35 to 50% weight disadvantage. Your highly modified SSR will still only run in the 13s, and that doesn't cut it in today's street racing. This is what drove my remarks about the 3800 rpm stall speed converter above. That drag racing oriented converter and this vehicle are not normally paired.

I like the fact you put some oney into cooling enhancements. That's what this vehicle needs most. Many people whose SSR dynos at 400 or more rear wheel hp don't seem to realize that as soon as you close that hood and start running back to back acceleration runs, you make a LOT less horsepower because you are sucking hot air in to the intake (even with that K&N system you are running - again see my book) and the closed hood traps the generated heat to the point where underhood temperatures run well above 200 degrees (Vararam has experienced softening of its plastic parts AND MAF signal corruption due to the heat).

Also read Chapter 16 in my book (Chapter 16 coming soon) for a discussion about how much HEAT that tranny is trying to dissipate with even a STOCK SSR. I am begiing to wish I had gone to an even BETTER tranny cooler than the good (stacked plate) one I did go with.

For the dyno session, reschedule if the outside temperature is expected to be higher than about 70 degrees. Although the SAE and STD formulas use temperature correction factors, those factors assume that an engine can in fact work with equal effectiveness under a broad range of temperatures. This is not practically correct in the real world, and especially so with the adverse thermodynamics of the SSR. I guarantee that your SSR will deliver better corrected power on the dyno at cooler temperatures than hot ones, EVEN if you re-tune to optimize at each temperature. You'll get the best readings on this vehicle at 60 degrees, but the shop won't likely want to let their building get that cold! Although most shops have HVAC, they are reluctant or unable to maintain cool dyno room temperatures via air conditioning! They want to open that big door to both exhaust the fumes and keep the AC costs low!

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I forgot. What is this crap aout shifting up at 3000 rpm???

The hi stall torque converter does not affect shift points. Thaose are still wherever the factory or soemone else set them within the PCM:

5600 factory setting on your LM4-based SSR (despite the 5900 rpm marked redline)

6000 rpm or so for a re-programmed stock SSR with stock valevtrain

6500 with a Z06 valvetrain

Heck, 3000 is way below what your 3800 rpm converter is suppsoed to STALL at!!

What is going on?

Also, I should checked: 85 mph terminal speed in the 1/8 mile = about 415 rear wheel hp with the weight of the SSR, 1/2 tank fuel, and you.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Please include a copy of the dyno sheet with the type of dyno used. I have been researching the differences in dynos and I am finding up to 15% difference between the Mustang and Dynojet types. The dynojet usuall shows 10-15% more HP then a mustang dyno, I understand that the mustang dyno creates more resistance.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
2005SSR6speed: See my resposne to your other posting today.

You are heading down the same frustrating path I have already been tryng to go down for many years, and even my training and intense interest in the physics of it leaves me both puzzled and irritated at some of the claims I see and hear.

Jim G

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It didn't go down :( ..... The dyno shop is about an hours drive from my home. There are two closer but I want this one specific shop and tech., they do mostly Corvettes. When I arrived they told me that the tech. that I had my appointment called in that morning, his father past the night before and he would not be back for a week. I also found out that they expected me to leave the SSR there because they would start the tuning with the car cold.

This really turned out for the best for two reasons (not the passing of his father, my sympathies) but the fact that they offered to a pre-tuning inspection and came up with a few things that they strongly suggested me doing before I spend my money on the deep tuning dyno runs.

Jim ... you were on the money about the CatBack exhaust, I have to rip out the CORSA system and find someone to engineer a true dual exhaust with crossover. I really knew this but was getting anxious to drive my SSR. You see the first two things I did before I went nuts with all the other upgrades was the MagnaCharger and CatBack system, which impressed me so much I just kept going.

The other thing is that after I told them that I had to install a new battery because the one that came with the car went bad, they thought more of it then I did. They got out their multimeter and found a .5 volt current passing through the cooling system. Which they explained to me is a very bad electrical leak that has to be found otherwise it will destroy the aluminum radiator and maybe the engine also if allowed to continue.

So I came home a bit upset, but it's not the end of the world, I have an appointment to find the electrical problem and I am searching for a good shop to fix my exhaust.

The dyno shop told me that I could expect anywhere from 420 to as high as 475 RWHP from my modifications. They drove it and were very impressed with the power off the line.

I was too tired last night to write this and I also got involved with Jim's next chapter which I feel asleep reading (not that it was boring at all). Jim you have a very strong exception about the heads I installed, but I did the entire valve train cam and timing chain also, the whole works. Before I spent the money on the heads and parts we contacted MagnaCharger and SuperChips and told them what we wanted to do. They did not have a problem with the modifications and they sent use parts to change out on the supercharger to get the higher boost we needed and the PCM programmer was sent back for special programming for my application.

I stopped writing this .... one hour has gone by ........ While writing I decided to go for broke, I drove to a place called Terminal Road in East Setauket that has a quarter mile clear straight (a bit over 1/4 mile). In third gear with the traction control on from a dead stop I nailed it to the floor and held it there until the PCM shut me down. Call me stupid or dumb but it turned out to be a very satisfying experience and proved to me anyway that I am on the right track. It has the stock Goodyears on it and they just barely broke loose, "evenly" ( I would expect that with the traction control on). She held first gear until just over 6K shifted into second with just the slightest chirp. I do not know how many rpm the tack dropped because I had to look ahead some of the time. She again went right up to the same shift point before shifting into third. I stayed in it and at the end of the run (I believe) the RPM limiter shut her down at 110 MPH and again a bit over 6000rpm.

Jimmy, your the numbers guy, not me, but from past experiences I would say this was a great run, risky, but fun! The top end and gears only have a little over 500 miles on them (my SSR has 9,600 miles total).

Anyway, I am happy and that's what counts, I have a bit more work to do and I don't know if I will get it done before the winter weather sets in and I put the SSR away but by next summer it will be done. We really never finish especially if we keep searching the net and reading. I have at least three items I want to look into after reading chapter 12 of Jim's E book.

In closing I have been through all the problems with my SSR ..... right now I have one 2005 recessed drivers door panel and one 2004 passenger door panel that you can't get your hand down to the seat buttons. I have almost had my head cut off from a 50mph gust of wind picking my open hood up off the prop rod, got lucky with that one she came back down in the slot but not locked. My drive shaft made all kinds of noise until Chevy installed a steel damper on the front of it.

So ............ there you have it, no tune-up no dyno but I feel my mods are working and I am on the right track. At this point I have great expectations for next spring. I will keep in touch as things transpire. I find my SSR very strong off the line and through the entire shifting range with no power loss at all ..... it puts you back in the seat the entire ride

Oh....... one last thing some asked what kind of dyno ...... It's a "Dynojet" "Model 248" and the program is the "LS1 Edit".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought you might want to know that it has been a good month for me and my SSR. I am happy that the tuning did not happen because I would have wasted money. I HAVE LOTS TO WRITE ABOUT REGARDING MY SSR UPGRADES AND JIMMY G's "E" BOOK AND HIS COMMENTS ON THIS SITE!! Most farorable a bit not, I just have to say that Jim's "E" book is worth every penny and then some. Also the book written by "Will Handzel" "Chevy LS1/LS6/V-8's (you can get this at Borders Books). I have major exceptions to Jim's comments about the ZO6 heads I installed, Yes the heads have bigger chambers and they will drop your compression but with the right cam and valve train and getting together with MagnaCharger (plus headers) YOU WILL GAIN BIG TIME IN THE HP DEPARTMENT. Plus a stall speed converter (3800) and gears (4:56) to get the power to the ground. I have sent for the deep tuning program (they had a two for one special this month and it took me awhile to find someone to go halves with me). I AM NOT BLOWING HOT AIR, I WILL POST AGAIN WITH MY NUMBERS AND SCAN MY DYNO RUNS AND POST THEM (could take a month or two). Keep looking!! In the mean time I can say that I am in the high 400's!!!!!

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
High 400's???

paulny said:
Just thought you might want to know that it has been a good month for me and my SSR. I am happy that the tuning did not happen because I would have wasted money. I HAVE LOTS TO WRITE ABOUT REGARDING MY SSR UPGRADES AND JIMMY G's "E" BOOK AND HIS COMMENTS ON THIS SITE!! Most farorable a bit not, I just have to say that Jim's "E" book is worth every penny and then some. Also the book written by "Will Handzel" "Chevy LS1/LS6/V-8's (you can get this at Borders Books). I have major exceptions to Jim's comments about the ZO6 heads I installed, Yes the heads have bigger chambers and they will drop your compression but with the right cam and valve train and getting together with MagnaCharger (plus headers) YOU WILL GAIN BIG TIME IN THE HP DEPARTMENT. Plus a stall speed converter (3800) and gears (4:56) to get the power to the ground. I have sent for the deep tuning program (they had a two for one special this month and it took me awhile to find someone to go halves with me). I AM NOT BLOWING HOT AIR, I WILL POST AGAIN WITH MY NUMBERS AND SCAN MY DYNO RUNS AND POST THEM (could take a month or two). Keep looking!! In the mean time I can say that I am in the high 400's!!!!!
Wait and tell us, once you have an actual number... It sounds to me like once you are finished, you will have built a whole new vehicle... we won't be able to call it an SSR!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
according to my husband (Mr. SSR himself)- you may not get the HP you are expecting, but hopefully you will. Glad to know YOU and your SSR had a good month, hey try to fill that passenger seat and you could have a great month.
Good luck with the dyno !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts